• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

I journeyed to Colorado on Father's Day with my 6 year old mini-me to meet up with some friends and their kids for a long weekend exploring around the San Juan Mountains.

Here's Part I -

June 15 - 17, 2007

The skinny -
  • 6 vehicles
  • 6 Dads
  • 6 kids
  • 4 dogs
  • 3 towns
  • 2 trailers
  • 2 stitches
  • 1 Mom
  • 1 Jeep
Why you should wish you were there......
Posted Image

The plan, (the second plan actually) was to meet in Colorado and poke around the San Juan Mountains. Places on the itinerary included Ouray, Yankee Boy Basin and Cinnamon Pass and we would come from Utah, Arizona and Wyoming to see them. It was a celebratory weekend for dear old Dad, with our friends and our children along for the ride.

This is what brought me to Colorado.

The next generation......
Posted Image

The attendees were rewarded with Colorado's finest scenery, idyllic weather and good company. The Dads had different rigs to oogle and time to debate the merits off various adventure equipment. It was a little like Heaven. The kids provided us with both, moments of fun and opportunities to practice patience. But I do believe every man, woman, child and dog on this trip had their best Father's Day yet.

How often can you say that?

Gathered here by chance......
Posted Image

....to be continued

#2 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:25 PM

Part II

However the trip concluded with it's share of blood, sweat and tears.

One child went down, hard, but went to the Doc, got stitched up and then made his Dad bring him back in time for the campfire. Tough kid. One responsible adult got a sliced finger while picking up broken glass from a previous tenant in our campsite. I saw men tear into a starter and do a complete rebuild, sweating under the hot sun in an alpine valley at 11,000 ft. I heard a few kids cry, but you know what? It's not nearly as obnoxious to hear a child cry in the woods, as it is in a restaurant.

It was all about them this weekend anyway.

Half a handful.......
Posted Image

Of course I understand not everyone comes here to read the articles, so I will get on with the photos. But I must raise my virtual glass to my fellow journeymen and fathers. You gentlemen make it look easy.

Doing it right......
Posted Image

And most important of all, the boy who made me a Father, the love of my life and the best son I could ever hope to have, Riley. What a wonderful experience it is, being your Father. It will always be my favorite adventure.

Traveling in style......
Posted Image

Rocky Mountain high.....
Posted Image

...to be continued with more pics

#3 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

Part III

Yankee Boy Basin -
Posted Image

Above Lake City, CO -
Posted Image

Clay drew Firstblood -
Posted Image

What it's all about -
Posted Image

While this trip was originally planned for Utah, as mentioned here, extremely high temps and failing to get one of two required camping permits forced us to change plans. The Father's Day theme was originally suggested just as a way to get reluctant wives to agree to allow participation. However due to the success of this trip, even with a last minute change to a completely different state, those who attended hope to make this an annual event.

Thanks for reading -

#4 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

KCOWYO,

Great report Amigo!! I almost cried at your sentiment towards your Boy. One lucky kid to have that kind of love thrown his way! The kind of love that will help this tired old world out in the future..Oh yeah and the photos are cool to!!

TT

P.S. How did that poor little Jeep do surrounded by all that Toyota talent??

#5 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

KCOWYO,

Looks like a great time was had by all. I couldn't think of a better way to spend Fathers day. Thanks for the report and pics.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#6 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:10 PM

Kcowyo,
Great trip, photos and sharing of your feelings. Thanks. What an incredible experience and place. Good for you all! I love to know that the next generation is passing on values like you are....the love, the responsibility, the wilderness ethic is of our best.
Brian

#7 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:53 AM

kc, as always a great report and pics. inspiring stories, sounds like a great time had by all! thanks for posting! cheers!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#8 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:15 AM

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Honestly my warm sentiments come from having a boy who smiled from the minute we left the driveway, until we got back. He had a ball and never give me a single problem the whole trip. Even the other Dads commented what a well behaved, sweet kid he is. And that of course is the ultimate compliment to both of us. Had he been a PITA all weekend, well, maybe the report would have been a little different!

P.S. How did that poor little Jeep do surrounded by all that Toyota talent??

Oh, the Jeep..... He just purchased that new 4 door JK a few weeks ago but he was a diehard Landcruiser guy before that. He sold his two 'Cruisers to buy the Jeep. One was a really nice '96 FJ80 similar to the other two on our trip and he sold this '85 FJ60 to his friend who came on our trip -

Posted Image

So he knew he was going to take some lip over the weekend from his fellow Toyota enthusiasts, and he did. But I gotta say that thing was sweet. I watched him play around some on some hills and in some water, pulling his M101 trailer and it was flawless.

Posted Image

Posted Image

He offered to let me drive it for awhile but I was actually afraid I'd love it, so I passed! I did let my son ride in it for awhile and he loved the open top and now he wants me to get a Jeep. Wonder if that means I can spend his college money on one?

Mr. Jeep Guy took crap from his friends all weekend and he handled it like a champ because he knew we were all very impressed and happy for him to have gotten such a great vehicle. But he's still dealing with a little bit of sellers remorse over his blue 60, because that thing just screams adventure.

Posted Image

#9 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:09 AM

great looking rigs...that jeep IS sick! i think its cool to have as many different rigs out as possible to see how everyone opperates...makes it that much more interesting!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users