• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

Love my subscription to the Overland Expedition Journal. I get to be the first hear about the latest expedition gear. (Shameless plug for the OEJ).

The latest issue sneak peak showcases the new RotopaX protable fuel and water carriers.

The thing that is so intrigueing about this setup is that it is so versatile. You can mount it anywhere and with the simple twist of knob. No more bulky metal can holders or rusted out cans. It also is extremly modular and you can stack them or mount them end to end. These guys have really made a great product.
The only drawback that I can see is that it is only 4 gallons vs the usual 5.

xctmpBV4xZl.png

check out: http://www.rotopax.com/Gasoline/ for the whole picture.

Any thoughts?

Home Skillet

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#2 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

Where were you thinking about mounting these? On the back of the camper?

IMO heavy items should not be mounted on the backs of these campers. Heavy off road use will take it's toll. I recently had to have my Hawk repaired due to cracks in the frame in the rear of the camper (causing a crack to appear in the camper skin above the door).....and this was without any heavy items mounted on it.

I quess it all depends on how much you beat the camper off road. Some folks might be OK with the extra weight there....as for me.....no way I would do it.

cracks.JPG

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#3 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

Great point. In my mind I had imagined putting one near the bottom of the rear wall (maybe less torqing around?). Other places were a good basket roof rack like on their website or even mounted on the truck somehow. With my new camper build there is no internal frame and the laminated design would hold up better (I think).

Water is 8lbs perr gall, right? So we are talking around 32 lbs per container since they are only 4 gal. That's not a ton of weight. I don't know how a campe wall would take that. Maybe a reinforcment plate would help, but then you are defeating the purpose of the "rackless" system.

More thoughts?

Home Skillet

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

Too pricey and carb compliant.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:03 AM

This is what I have been using for water, 5.5 gallons. Online from Walmart, $19.95, straps on the bumper and has been secure for the last 20,000 miles :D . Spout is good for filling my FWC internal tank. Petrol, I have 38 gallons, that should be good enough.

The Reliance Products Rhino Pak is a heavy duty water container made of rugged, puncture resistant foodgrade high density material. The premium spigot and vent cap allow the container to be stored on its side. The patterned side panels allow the unit to nest together when stacked on its side or standing up. The Rhino Pak fits most standard ATV racks and it is ideally suited for any adventure where water is needed.
Heavy duty water container
Made of rugged, puncture resistant foodgrade high density material
Premium spigot and vent cap allow it to be stored on its side
Patterned side panels allow the unit to nest together when stacked on its side or standing up
Fits most standard ATV racks
Suitable for any adventure where water is needed
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#6 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

This is what I have been using for water, 5.5 gallons. Online from Walmart, $19.95, straps on the bumper and has been secure for the last 20,000 miles :D . Spout is good for filling my FWC internal tank. Petrol, I have 38 gallons, that should be good enough.

Was there a link to this thing?

#7 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

Was there a link to this thing?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Products-Rhino-Pak/14550465
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#8 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for the link. Looks tough.
$20 for the jug + $20-40 for a mounted holder = around $50. I guess if a person was to want to mount it on the side of a rig or camper then the RotopaX at $80 or so isn't that bad. Still, hard to beat Walmart for cheap gear.
How to you strap it to your bumper? Any pictures?
Home Skillet

#9 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

Homey,
I just bought an Adventure Trailers fuel can holder for my truck. I will mount it on the right side of the door on the back of my camper. Marty reinforced my camper frame there instead of a window just for that purpose.
Good luck with this. If you're like me, I spent a lot of time researching before I bought.
Since my fuel can is mounted higher then my gas tank, I also bought a jiggler with a hose long enough to reach to the bottom of the fuel can and around into my truck gas tank. Now when I need extra fuel, I wont have to remove the fuel can, just open, jiggle a siphon, and watch it flow.

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#10 Jeff Wanamog

Jeff Wanamog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUpland, Ca.

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

Posted Image

I love the Rotopax. I carry 4 gallons fuel and 4 gallons water.

Jeff
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" — Hunter S. Thompson 2010 Tacoma DC 4X4 with highly modified 07 Eagle. Heart attack survivor 2/22/2010!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users