• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:33 AM

I read the good parts, just wanted to offer my regards for the unfortunate parts. I raised two girls who have camped from Saline to Punta Final, and everywhere in between.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#22 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:34 AM

What a blessing... You are, I b'lieve, right smack-dab in the middle of "The Good Ol' Days."

#23 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Avoid the shotgun approach, find the root problem and solve it. I don't think you did when you replaced the 1st alternator. It sounds like you got it solved with the 2nd alternator and the rewiring.

As for needing solar, if the batteries where fully charged to start and where getting charged each time you drove - you'd have had plenty of power for the camper and starting. I ran my camper for 3 days with the heater set pretty warm at night, lights, water pump, some inverter usage and had plenty of power to spare at the end without starting the truck once. Do you have a 12v fridge (that might push you into solar territory)?

Yes, I think I have the alternator problem fixed for sure now. I don't want to use the existing Surepower isolator I have because of the 1.0v drop across it. That means my truck batts would only ever see a max of ~13.5 volts. And the camper batteries maybe 13.1. Also, the Surepower isn't rated high enough. I'll get me a 1315-200, which will be good for some solar future (bi-directional).

Yes, my two ~650ah batteries were charged fully to start. But when I finally got the "lo-pwr" message, it was after the 5th night, running the furnace all night in 15 F temps (so sometimes running seemingly all night!) and some inverter usage, some incandescent lights, etc, propane fridge. And each day, driving maybe 2 miles max, on an alternator that was effectively dead. That's going to be a common occurrence for me (minus the dead alt). Although I'm going to get a Wave 3 and do LED upgrades before I do anything solar so maybe those upgrades will be sufficient and I won't run so low in the future. I do have two 650ah batteries for chrissake! They're like a hundred pounds of juice!
FWC-Owning Human

#24 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:52 AM

650's seem small (for a diesel). My F250 has 2 950's stock and an 850 in the camper, charged from the 30A circuit (the trailer harness connection) and topped with a 50w solar. Has been very sufficient so far.

A battery is like a tank of water, if you run out, you need to have a bigger tank-until you can refill it. But you don't need 130 amps to do it unless you are trying to charge it in 10 minutes.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#25 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:01 AM

650's seem small (for a diesel)...

I wasn't clear. The camper has dual ~650 Interstate "Marine Deep Cycle" batteries. There is a 50 amp thermal breaker on the line going to the camper.

The truck has two ~880 Kragen-brand batteries.
FWC-Owning Human

#26 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:58 AM

Go back to your old post and re-think, do you consume "that much" power (amps) in one sitting that you need to re-charge in a few minutes...

If a battery is low, you want to slow charge it - not dump 130A into it. It will boil water and acid out.

You other guys jump in and help out here. Pods knows this stuff

Well alts only put out as many amps as you need to so an over-sized alternator isn't really a problem in most cases, it just won't put as much load on the serpentine belt. However charging up DEAD batteries with an oversized alt. might not be the best idea if it really dumps the charge in. I don't use may starting battery for the camper (so its never drawn down) and the charge going back to my camper is limited so I haven't dug super far into the vehicle charge circuit to know if they offer some over current protection for this type of thing (or if the resistance in the battery will self regulate it).

Yes, my two ~650ah batteries

Just to nit pick, you mean cranking amps here not amp hours. A 650amp hour battery would be BIG.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#27 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Ah, didn't realize you had the big batteries in the back. You have it very well covered with battery capacity and alt. output.
Go with your plan. You may just need to drive more (or use solar) if you consume that much power.

Sorry we got your trip post off track. It was nicely done with some good family time.
Reminded me of camping with my kids. I now have a grandson living with us, so we get to do it all over again.

Again, a very entertaining read. Thanks!

#28 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

What a ride!

Bummer about the health issues for you & your truck, but a very enjoyable read about some fun places. I gotta get to the Lost Coast someday... B)

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#29 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:38 AM

Your trip report is very nicely written and was a pleasure to read and follow along. A lot of those places we would like to visit again. So many places and seems like not enough time! Sounds like your daughter had a great time and for sure has some memories.

Kidney stones….I feel for you, my gal is on day 13 and it is on the slow path out! 2 trips to the ER and appointments with her primary and to the Urologists. The discomfort and pain she has went through I would not wish it on anyone. Ex rays shows movement and now it’s just wait and see if an procedure is necessary. Waiting is starting to wear is both down and it does impact your daily life. Hope your third one goes out with not much to-do. Here drug of choice has been 4 Motrin.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#30 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

Ouch! Patrick, give our best to Carol.

natjwest, we were unaware of Davis Creek campground until your report. We are always looking for places to camp in the mountains during winter. There just isn't a lot open. And one that comes with billions of deer and curious bobcats can't be missed! So we are headed there to check it out. Thanks for the info. :) I hope we see your kitty friend.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users