Ordered...2011 FWC Hawk!

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 LT Traveler

LT Traveler

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

We went for it yesterday, we ordered our new Hawk. We went down Saturday to crawl around, ask questions and shop the options available; then after having 24 hours to stew over it bit the bullet. Thanks Steve and Stan for all your help answering questions and guiding us along the way.

The build:

2011 Hawk
3.0 3-way fridge with vent fan
Furnace
Dinette
led lights throughout
tan cloth upholstery
fantastic fan
4 jacks
aux. battery system
roof rack with additional cross bar
rear wall steps
screen door
go-anywhere package

We didn't want to go over the top with accessories and systems to try to minimize cost, maintenance and over all "having to screw with stuff" factor. Solar would be nice for certain trips but cost prohibitive. Hot water with shower would be nice but we can easily make due. Awning would be great but $$ and we can make due with a sun sail or tarp when needed. Additional exterior lights would be nice at times but easily lived without. I'll always be a Coleman gas lantern guy!

We're super excited and can't wait to pick this thing up(build time approx. 8 weeks). Need to start researching suspension upgrades(camper going on Nissan Titan 6.5 foot bed) Seems like everyone loves Ride Rites but I really want to keep ease of use to a minimal and am leaning towards some helper springs of some sort. We'll see where I end up on this, I have 8 weeks to figure it out. I'll post up with updates along the way and pics when we have some to offer.
2004 Nissan Titan w/ 2011 FWC Hawk

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

You will love your Hawk. Dinette is a great option, post pictures when you get it mounted.

Bill in Stockton.

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

Congrats LT Traveler! We looked at the new campers at a show a couple of months back. Ours is only eight years old but the new ones are so much nicer. You are really going to enjoy it.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

Very cool. Might consider getting it wired for a future solar panel, would make install a breeze. Right now you can get 100w for just over $200 and the prices are dropping. It would help keep your battery strong to run the furnace. Where is the 1st trip!!
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

Might consider getting it wired for a future solar panel, would make install a breeze.

I believe they pre-wire all of them for solar these days. But I would ask them to terminate the wires in the roof and install a roof plug. Then....like Barko1 says.....in the future it's an easy install.

My camper had the pre-wiring....but when it came time to install the solar I had no idea where the wiring was terminated in the roof. Luckily I was at the FWC factory for another reason and had them locate the wires and teminate them in the roof with a plug. I think the plug was $9.00.

Solar_Plug_(female_roof_plug_topside)_2.jpg

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#6 LT Traveler

LT Traveler

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Very cool. Might consider getting it wired for a future solar panel, would make install a breeze. Right now you can get 100w for just over $200 and the prices are dropping. It would help keep your battery strong to run the furnace. Where is the 1st trip!!

That's a good suggestion. Steve mentioned that I think for $50 they can prewire and we could buy an aftermarket solar panel later....maybe we should do that. It would certainly help with the fan too for summer desert camping. something to chew on I guess.

#7 LT Traveler

LT Traveler

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

I believe they pre-wire all of them for solar these days. But I would ask them to terminate the wires in the roof and install a roof plug. Then....like Barko1 says.....in the future it's an easy install.

My camper had the pre-wiring....but when it came time to install the solar I had no idea where the wiring was terminated in the roof. Luckily I was at the FWC factory for another reason and had them locate the wires and teminate them in the roof with a plug. I think the plug was $9.00.

Solar_Plug_(female_roof_plug_topside)_2.jpg

Another great suggestion; thanks Leadsled.

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

LT Traveler, congrats on the purchase, you are going to really enjoy it! Photos and trip reports are a must! Please forgive the minor hijack, I need a few of the pictured plugs, male and female, where can I get them?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

It would certainly help with the fan too for summer desert camping.

I had two fantastic fans installed in my Hawk. Recently I upgraded one of them to the 6600 model with the remote control. It's not that you need a remote control.....but the 6600 upgrade fan uses a lot less juice when it runs....and you have a choice of 14 speeds.

The original Fantastic fan in my camper only had a few speeds....and the lowest speed was too high and used too much electricity. When you get solar installed, you will become an electricity miser. Every little bit counts.

I would have at least one....if not both upgraded to the 6600. It's way cheaper to do it up front.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#10 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

LT Traveler, congrats on the purchase, you are going to really enjoy it! Photos and trip reports are a must! Please forgive the minor hijack, I need a few of the pictured plugs, male and female, where can I get them?

Get 'um here (scroll down near bottom of page):

http://www.solarsell..._extensions.htm

Five bucks a pop for the roof plugs.

They also sell the male adapters in two sizes (18 awg and 12 awg).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users