Ordered...2011 FWC Hawk!

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:43 PM

When storing I set the camper on a platform and run the jacks down to the ground for stability. We've had 60 - 70 mph winds and the camper is still there. I do like Leadsled's trailer idea so the camper could be moved easily. I still would lower the jacks, though.

As for solar, I bought 2 plug sets (male and female) and installed one female connector on the under side of the ledge over the truck bed. The controller is near the entry for the cord. I made up a 20 foot extension cord from 14 gauge wire that rides in front of the camper in the truck bed. I made a mount for a 40 watt panel that puts the panel over the truck cab. When traveling I have the panel literally bolted into the mount. When it is charging time, I take the panel out of the mount, hook it up to the extension cord, and put the panel in the sun while the truck is in the shade. You can do a larger panel (as Barko said, prices are coming down) and put together a system pretty reasonably when you have the cash and time.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#22 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:41 AM

Congrats LT Traveler on your camper.I have a bobcat and the solar wiring I had added ended up in the wrong area so I had to rewire it. Adding a panel is not a problem as long as you have some basic skills and some tools. I installed my panel on the rear right on the factory style roof rack. Did you order that style rack? There are several threads on solar panels and their installation. A good system shouldn't cost an arm and leg.There is a large selection on solar products on the market. I actually shopped through amazon and they had a lot of makers and the prices were good.

As for springs I have a ford ranger and use the supper springs they add about 3" of lift empty but level off back to normal with the camper.If you are leaving the camper on they are great but without the camper the ride can get bouncy.One thing to remember is that no matter what the spring rate you need to stay within the GVW.

Good luck and we'll wait for pictures.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#23 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:09 AM

If you are storing it on jacks....why not lower it all the way to the ground so you are not putting any stress on the floor by walking around in the camper? I don't think it is a good idea to be walking around in the camper while it is suspended in the air.

I rarely go into the camper when storing it, I was just saying if I did need to grab something out of it quickly I just move slowly through it and only one person. Stan has said in the past the floor can support this kind of occasional thing, its just not rated to be used like that for regular camping and with multiple folks. Thus I don't really see the need in dropping it quite all the way down (and then have to jack it all the way back up). I'd make some supports like I linked before I'd drop it all the way down anyways. When its off the truck its between my house and fence so I don't really have direct wind to deal with either.

As it is my camper is usually on the truck unless I need to bed for something.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#24 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:58 AM

I use these. They're light and very strong

Attached Thumbnails

• milk-crates-large.jpg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#25 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:45 AM

My home made camper dolly uses some spare scaffolding wheels which can be coaxed to pivot 360 so moving it around my garage is a snap. I leave the jacks lowered within an inch for security.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#26 LT Traveler

LT Traveler

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

All great ideas everyone thanks for all chiming in. Looks like we'll be adding the solar connector to the camper build so it's there for future solar addition. As far as storage, right now to keep cost down I think I'm leaning towards the X plywood system linked to above or a home built rolling dolly. The milk crate idea's a good one too.

Having this site available as a resource makes buying one of these campers so much easier to a new guy.

Thanks again.
2004 Nissan Titan w/ 2011 FWC Hawk

#27 griz

griz

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationCampbell River, B.C.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:48 AM

LT

Way to go. I sent you a reply yesterday and now I can not see it. Any hoot good on ya. Now you can make that trip up this way. I have started my tlc's. As you there is always something else just around the corner to do. I have added a new floor (lino), for $59 bucks what the hell. Guess you will be wearing the green jacket as well.
Later..........
"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

#28 LT Traveler

LT Traveler

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

Small update:

Added the solar plug to the build for future solar adaption or addition.

Ordered Super Springs to the truck. Really like the idea of maintenance free and durability. We do a lot of trips off-road in southern Utah and through out the west and hate the idea of having to worry about articulation and rips and airing up and down. Figure if we hate 'em we can always sell and do the bags. When the camper isn't on the truck I always have a Leer shell and other stuff in there and all winter roll with at least 200lbs of sand for weight in the snow. Hopefully those things add some tension to the springs and keep the ride near stock when the camper is off.

Tires: The Titan stock tires are a stupid size; 265/70R18...try finding anything in a D or E rating that is at all appealing. The only two tires I've found are the Good Year ASR and the Michelin LTX AT2. After talking to different tire guys and other folks seems the Michelin is the way to go.

That's the latest.
2004 Nissan Titan w/ 2011 FWC Hawk

#29 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

I really like my Toyo AT's. Sittin @ about 35K on 'em and that is far more wear than I've got out of any other tires on the market/on this Tundra.

Can't speak to the D or E rated Michelins...but the set of Mic "passenger" tires that came on this vehicle new (pre-camper) lasted less than 20K before I took em off. Absolutely the worst tire I've ever ran.

gonna get another set of toyos when the time comes. If I can make it a few more months til "Summer" I think i'll get 40K out of em, no problem.

http://ssl.delti.com...4&nichtweiter=1

good luck on yer selection

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#30 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

I've used BFG AT for years on several trucks. I always get over 50K and I have over 60K on this set with about 15% tread life left on them and that's on a 3/4 ton diesel.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users