#21 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:01 AM

This is killer stuff:

....... Yeah wow real words of wisdom there!

Already posted this elsewhere but this thread would not be complete without it:

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul

#22 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:28 PM

"I would like to grow wise and venerable......but I haven't figured out how to do it yet."

This was spoken by Abbey in his later years........I think he had figured it out, but didn't even know it.

Home Skillet

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#23 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:23 AM

I have this on my desktop, seems to be true.

As Ed Abbey once said, "All rental cars are 4WD".

rental.jpg
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#24 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:28 AM

Here are two from his little read- A Voice Crying in the Wilderness- Notes From a Secret Journal-

"I come more and more to the conclusion that wilderness in America or anywhere else,is the only thing left that is worth saving"

"Though men now pocess the power to dominate and exploit every corner of the natural world, nothing in that fact implies that they have the right or the need to do so."

Dsrtrat

#25 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:40 AM

Freedom begins between the ears. The Good Life starts where servitude ends. In a nation of sheep, one brave man is a majority.

- The Fools Progress

Henry felt that by contributing less to the annual Gross National Product he was thereby subtracting even less from what was left of the Net National Heritage.

- The Fools Progress

#26 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

From- The Fool's Progress-

The picture showed a court jester in cap and bells contemplating a doughnut. A poem served as as explanatory caption:

As you travel through life,brother
Whatever be your goal;
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:29 AM

One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am — a reluctant enthusiast... a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.

This is really a great quote, thanks for posting.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#28 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:33 AM

The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders.
– Edward Abbey

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#29 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

Never knew a pig as stupid as a sheep, as goofy as a horse, as mean as a dog. Or as greedy as a man. Furthermore they're good to eat.

#30 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

Ah, but back to Abbey. We all need some more Abbey.

"For myself I hold no preference among flowers, so long as they are wild, free, spontaneous."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users