41 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

I need to come up with a "master list" of advocacy groups in the west. Could you list hte ones you know of?

Tread lightly, Blue Ribbon Coalition, Friends of Black Rock Desert, Crater Lake Institute are some examples.

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

DD -
What kind of advocacy groups are you asking for? Or what kinds NOT?
It's up to you to filter them, but a couple of which I'm a member might be classed in the "environmentalist" or "sagebrush-hugger" category by some:
Friends of Nevada Wilderness and Oregon Natural Desert Association,
and I don't want to introduce controversy.

(I used to have links to these groups in my WTW signature, but I removed them for the same reason that I don't have any controversial bumper stickers on my rig: I don't want to go around with a chip on my shoulder -- or give that appearance.)
Now that I have all the free time, I do plan to spend a little of that time on these groups volunteer field events: habitat restoration and the like.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:22 AM

These are a couple that come to mind...

Friends of Jawbone Canyon
http://www.jawbone.org

and

Saline Preservation Association
http://www.salinepreservation.org/

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:23 AM

DD -
What kind of advocacy groups are you asking for? Or what kinds NOT?
It's up to you to filter them, but a couple of which I'm a member might be classed in the "environmentalist" or "sagebrush-hugger" category by some:
Friends of Nevada Wilderness and Oregon Natural Desert Association,
and I don't want to introduce controversy.

(I used to have links to these groups in my WTW signature, but I removed them for the same reason that I don't have any controversial bumper stickers on my rig: I don't want to go around with a chip on my shoulder -- or give that appearance.)
Now that I have all the free time, I do plan to spend a little of that time on these groups volunteer field events: habitat restoration and the like.

Those are good examples and I knew you would list ONDA :). It's not like any of these groups are extreme or anything. I want to list groups of different types so that we have the kind of advocacy coverage that will appeal to all types. We'll probably skip Earth First though :huh:

#5 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance is one I receive electronic newsletters from. They have taken on a big chunk of real estate and well-funded resource extraction industry folk (Okay, we need resources, but it should be done with as much regard for the land as profit and royalties should be higher). They have research scientists and are trying to compromise with industry. One that I remember is a canyon that was part of a route for supply trucks that contained much beautiful rock art. The company drilling has mitigated dust and has tried to minimize their impact. One small step.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:01 AM

We'll probably skip Earth First though :huh:

OK, how about PETA -- People for the Eating of Tasty Animals?

#7 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:01 AM

Two groups that come to mind in the 4x4 community are Friends of the Rubicon (www.rubiconfriends.com/) and California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs (www.cal4wheel.com/)
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#8 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

DD, I would strongly encourage taking a looooong look at SUWA's mission statement, board members, track record and legal tactics before endorsing them on this forum...

IMO, and the opinions of many who have watched them over the years, they are manipulative organization, abusing the courts & headed by criminals - two of their top board members were recently sentenced to federal prison for fraud after conspiring plans to illegally reap over $12 million.

SUWA is rich guys doing a little rural cleansing to make the desert safe for rich guys.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#9 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

DD, I would strongly encourage taking a looooong look at SUWA's mission statement, board members, track record and legal tactics before endorsing them on this forum...

IMO, and the opinions of many who have watched them over the years, they are manipulative organization, abusing the courts & headed by criminals - two of their top board members were recently sentenced to federal prison for fraud after conspiring plans to illegally reap over $12 million.

SUWA is rich guys doing a little rural cleansing to make the desert safe for rich guys.

I'm just creating a directory. Whether people want to support the organizations in the directory is their own choice.

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

DD, I would strongly encourage taking a looooong look at SUWA's ...blah, blah...

IMHO: These are the kind of emotionally-charged, opinionated posts that will prove to be counter-productive and are certainly divisive.
Maybe that's why there's a need for a specific "Political Opinion (aka "Rant")" subforum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users