DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

Related to our conversation here:

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4521/

Let's come up with a list of potential sites to organize some cleanup events. I will probably only be able to organize 1 this year but there's potential that we could find a couple people to organize a similar event in their areas.

My suggestions:

1. Succor Creek State Natural Area Need: Minor trash pickup, new tables, possible fire pits, and if money were no object, an outhouse.

2. Moore Creek Campground on the North Mokelumne River (site of last years pork rally) and surrounding campsites. Need: major trash cleanup. This might be one of those areas that has so many negligent users that the sea of trash will never be resolved but its a potential spot anyway.

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:04 AM

Just thinking out loud. Maybe instead of coming up with our own list, we design a letter (or emil) that can be sent to the heads of a number of government recreation agiencies - i.e. the differnet national forests and BLM districts. We explain who WtW is and what we are proposing, and ask if they have any particular campgrounds they feel meet our criteria. If we get a lot of suggestions, some type of criteria can be set up to evaluate and prioritize them.

Thoughts or comments?

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

Ok, no thoughts on that, so I'll get back to the listing.

DD, you and others have stayed at a beach cg in California's north coast (I'm drawing a blank on the name, maybe Usal?) and complained about the abuse there. Maybe that one.

Moore Creek is close to us. It is one of three small cgs in a short stretch along the Mokelumne. I have boondocked in that section but will try to get there this summer to do some cleanup.

Many of us like the 395 corridor. A cg along 395 between Mono Lake and Lone Pine might be a good place for both northern and southern CA members to go. Can't think of any cgs that need help there offhand. However, we stayed at Alabama Hills this past January and I have never seen so much broken glass on the ground. You could fill a dumpster! Do places that aren't cg's count? If so, I recommend Alabama Hills.

Finally, a regular spot for quick weekend runaways for us is Sagehen cg in Tahoe NF. About 16 sites needing some clean up, maybe some tables, but in serious need of a new pit or vault toilet.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

Just thinking out loud. Maybe instead of coming up with our own list, we design a letter (or emil) that can be sent to the heads of a number of government recreation agiencies - i.e. the differnet national forests and BLM districts. We explain who WtW is and what we are proposing, and ask if they have any particular campgrounds they feel meet our criteria. If we get a lot of suggestions, some type of criteria can be set up to evaluate and prioritize them.

Thoughts or comments?

We talked a bit about this in another thread. I'd like to make the site selections ourselves so that we can contribute to areas that we enjoy using. I suspect that sites identified by government agencies will be high use areas that we tend to avoid.

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:54 PM

Usal beach certainly needs some help but I don't know what to do about that place. It's a notorious party spot and I don't know if attempting improvements is worthwhile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users