• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Norman1974

Norman1974

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:38 AM

Hi Everyone. Anyone have a Bobcat or a Bobcat Shell on a base model four cylinder Tacoma? I am considering getting a Bobcat shell and wondering if an older Tacoma with the 2.4 four cylinder can handle the camper.

Norman

#2 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

If you are wanting to climb steep grades at 80 mph or blow the doors off a Corvette on the highway, maybe not. On the other hand, with some suspension beefing, the 4 cylinder will get you where you want to go. It'll likely give you better mileage than the V6, too. There have been folks on the forum that have used 4 cylinders. Hopefully they will chime in.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#3 Skeeter

Skeeter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationWA and AZ

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:37 PM

Hi Norm,

I only had a 98' Ford Ranger with the 2.5L engine when we bought our Eagle shell. Despite my best efforts to lighten the camper, it really struggled on any hill. The engine works way too hard and it will wear it out much quicker. The dangerous part is when the other drivers are trying to pass you on those steep hills! On a good note, my mileage was 27 to 30 mph! I used hyper miling techniques for fuel savings.

In a nut shell, yes it will work, but sooner or later you should upgrade your truck for safety. The only thing I did for the supension was add Rancho shocks. I didnt want to pour money into somthing that I knew I was going to replace. We bought a used Tacoma witht the 3.4L and it is much better on the steep grades. If I was to do it all over again, I would of just bought a 1 ton truck and a Hawk and be over with it! Hope this helped. -skeeter
"Can you skin grizz pilgrim?" -Bear Claw - 03' Tacoma, 97' Ranger II

#4 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hi Everyone. Anyone have a Bobcat or a Bobcat Shell on a base model four cylinder Tacoma? I am considering getting a Bobcat shell and wondering if an older Tacoma with the 2.4 four cylinder can handle the camper.

Norman

Dolphin put a cab/chassis motor home on a Toyota and Nissan and sold tons of them. The auto trans couldn't get out of it's own way but the stick was, shall we say, passable. Either way it weighed a whole lot more than a Bobcat.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#5 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:30 PM

I've had a FWC on a singlecab 2WD ('96) and will tell you first hand it's not a very desirable combination no matter what your goals are for it. You'll need to install heavier-duty leaf springs or supersprings (NOT add a leafs), a heavy duty clutch, and new tires and wheels to suit your load range and stability needs at minimum (unfortunately, the increase in rotating weight will further rob you of what little power you already have). If it's an automatic transmission, forget it. There's already too much power loss there to make it worthwhile. I'm assuming here that you have the stock 15" wheels and passenger/LT tires that came stock? This because the 2RZ/2.4L motor only comes in 2WD trucks.

Will it "work"? Yes. At very least; it's slow and unsafe. At best, it still blows. On these trucks, the difference is night and day under load. You'll never get it into 5th gear on the highway, and even still the brakes are less than adequate. I don't want to rain on your parade but would hate to see someone spend all that money just for a let down.

#6 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:29 AM

I had a FWC on my 4 banger, automatic, 1990 Toyota. I drove it all the way to Alaska and back. No problems. I kept the speed to about 60 or 65. Mpg was 20. I had custom rear springs made from some company in El Monte, Ca, I forget their name. And, obviously as I am alive to tell the story, I installed a brake proportioning valve compensation bracket.

The only difference you have between your 4 banger and a 6 cylinder Toyota is power. The 6 cylinder has the same inadequate suspension, axles, diffs and brakes. In fact, even the Tundra requires suspension mods, so do most 1/2 ton domestics.

The "right way" to do it is with a 3/4 or 1 ton domestic.

But, if you are cool with taking it slow and easy, and if you do some sort or suspension mod on the rear and D or E tires, you will be fine. As long as you do the one most important thing!: When you mod the rear suspension, you are putting lots of weight in the bed yet it is at a height of an empty bed. You have fooled the brake system into believing there is no load. There is a brake proportioning valve that sends all braking to the front when there is no load in the rear. You need a 2 inch (or so) brake proportioning valve bracket mod so that your rear brakes kick in. Otherwise you simply won't stop in an emergency situation. Search this site for "toyota proportioning valve".

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#7 Norman1974

Norman1974

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

Norman

Thanks everyone for all your responses and suggestions. I am still considering getting the Bobcat shell which can't be too heavy and taking it slow and easy the truck should be just fine with some upgrades. With so many places to camp here in San Diego county it will be short trips while the camper is loaded and most of the time it will be empty.

#8 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

Thanks everyone for all your responses and suggestions. I am still considering getting the Bobcat shell which can't be too heavy and taking it slow and easy the truck should be just fine with some upgrades. With so many places to camp here in San Diego county it will be short trips while the camper is loaded and most of the time it will be empty.

This is one I delivered in February. It does have Ride Rites but he's taken it all over the White Mountains, Chiricahuas and the Black Rock Desert with out any problems.
Copy of Ken Kertell Bobcat_0031.JPG

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#9 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

Once again, if you want to maintain speed up the steepest mountain, blow by most traffic, or out drag a Mustang, the 2.4 Tacoma isn't going to do it. On the other hand, if you can adjust to taking your time, the truck will likely serve as a carrier for a Bobcat or Bobcat shell. The extra power of a 6 is nice, but for most short trips that you describe, the 4 will get you there and back. Pack light and well.

I pulled a 3500 pound Argosy with a 3.4 liter 6, way more load than you are thinking about. Most times, people could pass when they wanted, we could make it up the hills (but not at 75 mph), and we could enjoy the scenery. My current 4 liter truck makes the tow easier, but it is still a matter of planning for the places you want to go with the equipment you have.

One day, maybe you will want to buy a long wheelbase Kenworth, put a flat bed on it with a spectacular custom camper, and be the envy of many campers. Until then, use what you have with care.

As an aside, I once met a full time Airstreamer in the early 70's. He towed a 30 foot Airstream with a Chevy stove bolt 6 powered 1/2 ton truck (may have been a 3/4 ton). The best part was the rock shop equipment and rocks he had in the back of the truck. He went all over the country with this rig on roads that were not as 'improved' as they are now. Was it 'safe'? Did it overstress the truck? (He didn't wreck or break down to my knowledge!) I do know he enjoyed what he was doing. It's in the attitude.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#10 Norman1974

Norman1974

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:33 AM

Norman

Hi Everyone. I have another question. Has anyone put a Bobcat Shell on a second generation Tacoma? I am thinking about getting a new 2012 Tacoma base model with four cylinder and a five speed. I would think a new Tacoma could handle the camper better than the older Tacoma since it is a bigger truck with a more powerful four cylinder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users