#11 Gerdo

Gerdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationDenver Colorado

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

One major concern is where you live and where you want to travel. If you live or travel thru the high altitude mountains, the 4cyl will struggle more. If you aren't in a hurry the 4cyl may be fine but the 6cyl would do better. A 1/2 ton would do better and 3/4 or 1 ton will haul the best, all with fuel mileage penalties.

With that said, sometimes too small of an engine will get worse gas mileage than a bigger engine because it's working harder.

#12 brp

brp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

I have a complete Bobcat on a 2011 Tacoma, Double Cab, Short Box, V6, 4x4. I had the rear leaf spring technical service bulletin performed by the dealer. This adds a 4th leaf to the rear spring pack. Normal is 3, except in Canada they get 4. This was free, info here T-SB-0359-10 DEC 10 - Suspension - *Updated* Rear Spring Harsh Ride
at
http://www.tacomawor...ota-tacoma.html

I also added Firestone Ride Rite air bags. This combination worked really well for me. The truck has been down some really fun/questionable/stupid trails in Death Valley and I was pleased. I do think that the 3 leaf pack would be adequate with the Ride Rites, not sure though.

Regarding the V6/I4 question. The I4 would feel underpowered by todays standards. However, look at a Sunrader or Dolphin RVs of the past. Way heavier, less aero, dual rear wheels, and less powerful, by a lot, than the 2.7 I4. People took those all over the place, no problem.

My thought is that you would be fine if you are willing to concede going more slowly up the mountains and maybe having a hard time into a tough head wind. I think about the lower price to purchase, fuel, maintain, insure, .... a 4 cylinder, and that is a trade I would have made if I could have the 2.7 in the 4 door, 4x4. They don't make it.

One important detail, which I have yet to address, is to make some kind of fairing so that the camper is just not scooping air at highway speed. There is a lot a space between the roof of the 05-12 Tacoma and a Bobcat. It is very turbulent and I honestly feel and 60mph+ an I4 with a fairing would give the same response as a V6 without one.

Ok, one last thing, then I will be quiet. The turnbuckels that hold the camper to the truck, they came lose. They are totally sufficient for 99% of driving. However, on tough trails like the Lippencott in Death Valley, I think some type of spring loaded or "elastic" turnbuckle would be helpful. I am not sure if this is a Tacoma thing, a Bobcat thing, or a physcics thing, but something(s) was flexing and stressing the buckels a lot.

#13 frigid north

frigid north

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, Alaska

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

Hi Everyone. I have another question. Has anyone put a Bobcat Shell on a second generation Tacoma? I am thinking about getting a new 2012 Tacoma base model with four cylinder and a five speed. I would think a new Tacoma could handle the camper better than the older Tacoma since it is a bigger truck with a more powerful four cylinder.

I put a Bobcat Shell model on a 2008 2.7 liter 4 cyl, 5 speed manual, toyota tacoma access cab, thats the one with the reverse rear doors. I had the toyota dealer add the 4 leaf TSB spring pack to the rear axle. Then I drove around the western United States, Canada, and Alaska for one year. I liked the way the truck handled when the camper was on the "light" side, but when I added more weight i would definently notice a difference. It was slow going through mountain passes about 35 to 45mph depending on the grade. It was slow going against a headwind. It was difficult to start the truck moving in first gear especially when starting on a hill. Getting on the freeway on-ramps and getting the truck up to freeway speed was also a challenge that would make me nervous, especially in California.

I think that my average highway speed was 45 to 50 MPH. I could get it to do 60 or 65 MPH but I could tell that the engine was working hard for it and my gas mileage would drop. It was better to keep it around 50 to 55MPH. i think i was getting around 20 to 21MPG at these speeds.

Driving around town in this setup was no problem.It goes good in 2nd and 3rd gear, its a small pickup with a great turning radius. Probably the biggest issue was starting out in first gear on a steep hill.
Overall I think that the 2.7 liter was just slightly underpowered for the Bobcat in most situations, of course there were times when I had a strong tailwind and was loving it. It seemed like the engine was working too hard most of the time.

I have switched to a Toyota Tacoma with the 4.0 liter V6 with the same Bobcat Camper and love the extra power, I dont have any of the previously mentioned issues now. I also upgraded the suspension front and rear and it handles great, I like the size of the tacoma and i think its a good match to the Bobcat. I can always turn around and find a parking space no matter how small.
Toyota Tacoma 2010 TRD V6 ATC Bobcat 2008 shell model

#14 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

I have switched to a Toyota Tacoma with the 4.0 liter V6 with the same Bobcat Camper and love the extra power, I dont have any of the previously mentioned issues now. I also upgraded the suspension front and rear and it handles great, I like the size of the tacoma and i think its a good match to the Bobcat. I can always turn around and find a parking space no matter how small.

Can I ask what you did to your suspension? I have a 2011 Tacoma AC V6 4WD TRD and am considering a Bobcat camper shell with few options- aiming for minimum weight. I know our gear will still add up weight-wise. I am trying to decide what improvements to the suspension I should do. Based on what I have read here, there are options ranging from new spring packs, Timbrens, air bags, front coil overs... I don't know what is really needed. I have had the rear spring tsb done but that is it so far.
2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#15 frigid north

frigid north

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:12 AM

Can I ask what you did to your suspension? I have a 2011 Tacoma AC V6 4WD TRD and am considering a Bobcat camper shell with few options- aiming for minimum weight. I know our gear will still add up weight-wise. I am trying to decide what improvements to the suspension I should do. Based on what I have read here, there are options ranging from new spring packs, Timbrens, air bags, front coil overs... I don't know what is really needed. I have had the rear spring tsb done but that is it so far.

Yes, for the rear suspension I got the OME dakar leaf pack CS047R and then added the D6XL xtra leaf, for a total of 8 leafs including the overload. For the rear shock I went with the OME N182 shocks. For the front I went with ICON adj coilovers so that i could level the truck. I think I gained a couple inches with this setup but it handles great and never bottoms out no matter how much gear I load up the camper with. I also went with a load rated D tire.

I have never taken the camper off the truck. If I did I am sure that the rear leaf pack would be way too stiff. When I had the rear TSB spring pack on my old truck it would would often bottom out and sag a little when loaded. People are always impressed at how well the truck handles on and off road. :D I spent a lot of time on tacoma world reading up on suspension upgrades for the Tacoma as there are so many to chose from.
I definetly would not change my current suspension but I am considering upgrading to a new Upper Control Arm for the front. I can post a picture of how it sits now with the new suspension if you want.

#16 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

...but I am considering upgrading to a new Upper Control Arm for the front.

What would be your reason for going to new UCAs?

And I agree, OME is the best. I have the regular 7 leaf pack and Timbrens. This works best for me as I have the truck unloaded most of the time.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#17 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

thanks for the info. frigid north-photos are always great.

:)
2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#18 frigid north

frigid north

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

About the UCA for the toyota tacoma, from what I have read the aftermarket UCAs are stronger, give more articulation and provide more adjusment for alignment when the front is lifted. Also they add more clearance between the inside tirewall and the ball joint. I have noticed that with my current set up the balljoint is really close to the tire sidewall.

Actually the real reason for wanting them is that they look cool and the ones from ICON are machined from aluminum billet. I have a hard time resisting shiny aluminum things.

IMGP8125.JPG

#19 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

.... I have a hard time resisting shiny aluminum things.

I think I am also infected by the alumabug.

Can you post some detail on the foam under the c-o? Is it straight foam or do you have it wrapped in aluminum?
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#20 frigid north

frigid north

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

I think I am also infected by the alumabug.

Can you post some detail on the foam under the c-o? Is it straight foam or do you have it wrapped in aluminum?

Its a rigid foam board with some painted plywood veener on the bottom with the edges wrapped in aluminum trim with some silicon sealant. The trim is fastened to the edge under the cabover.

IMGP9716.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users