• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:20 PM

I've been pondering the roof-lifting problem. There have been several novel ideas, but none of them really got me interested. So, I decided to try my own solution.

Starting with this piece of off-the-shelf hardware...
Posted Image

I fashioned a roof jack out of a scrap of 2x4, a piece of 1-1/2" DWV PVC, a broom handle and (the coup de grace) duct tape...

Posted Image

I didn't bother to draw it up, 'cause it is so simple, but I will submit plans if there is sufficient interest. (Btw, this device will lift or lower the entire roof at once.)

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:45 AM

I've been pondering the roof-lifting problem. There have been several novel ideas, but none of them really got me interested. So, I decided to try my own solution.

Starting with this piece of off-the-shelf hardware...
Posted Image

I fashioned a roof jack out of a scrap of 2x4, a piece of 1-1/2" DWV PVC, a broom handle and (the coup de grace) duct tape...

Posted Image

I didn't bother to draw it up, 'cause it is so simple, but I will submit plans if there is sufficient interest. (Btw, this device will lift or lower the entire roof at once.)

Not a bad idea.Looks good.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 longboardcr

longboardcr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:27 PM

Great idea! I am very interested in how you build that lift. I looked at the threads on the strut assisted lifts but can never ever determine how much weight I might need to lift for a given trip. Many have suggested that if you install the large struts capable of lifting serious weight on the camper and then the next week not have anything on the roof, this could cause problems shutting the roof down cause the shocks are too strong. Your idea would work for all situations.

Cheers!

#4 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:27 AM

I started out with the idea of telescoping tubes, but couldn't see how to raise the inner one. then I thought of making bushings and using the (really cheap) boat winch.

I took a scrap of 2x4 and drilled a 1.6" hole in it with a fly cutter. (You could also saber saw the hole and finish it off with a drum sander or even a rasp.) I cut a clamping relief in the end of the 2x4 with my chop saw. Then I added 1/4-20 through bolts to pinch the 2x4 to the 1.5" DWV. I scribed the mounting holes for the boat winch so that the strap hung freely down the DWV and bolted the hoist to the 2x4 with some hardware I had laying around.

Everything was sized to fit into the camper with the top down. You need to allow for the crank handle in the "uppest" position. Once I had everything cut to length, I pushed the winch strap down inside the DWV with the shortified broom handle. I duct taped the winch strap (folded once over the end of the broom handle) and voila! a roof lifter!

(The biggest blunder here was cutting the winch strap. I could have left the hook poking out of the top and been alright. It turns out I didn't need to worry about the bushings, so there was plenty of slop factor to stuff the winch strap down inside the DWV.)

Hope that helps.

#5 krj

krj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:29 AM

I like it!
I too don't always have full weight on my roof and have been worried about dealing with struts and an empty roof.
When fully raised, how much of the broom handle is left inside the PVC?
Kevin

#6 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

Mark,
Elegantly simple. U Dah Man! Now we need a video in action.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#7 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hey Mark

Good job. I like it !

I have tried to make a few different styles of lift assists over the years (and FWC has too) from ideas on the forums, but we never found anything that was simple, cost effective, and reliable for the average customer.

Not long ago a customer from So Cal came up with something he shared with me that is awesome. I thought I would also post it for the people on the forum.

We bought one to play around with and I really like it. It is so simple, looks and works professionally, and it is super light weight.

The only thing one might want to do is to install a small plastic retaining cup to keep it in place when raising the roof. (if you go to the closet section in the hardware store they will have closet hanging rods and the plastic end caps that would probably work well).

DEVICE TO RAISE POP-TOP FROM INSIDE THE FOUR WHEEL CAMPER

I found a device that will lift the roof of my pop top camper from inside the camper. It is a speaker stand with crank that is manufactured by a company called On Stage Stand. Although the device lists for $160.00, I found sources on the internet that were selling it for $59.95. (Last time I checked it was available at guitar center, amazon.com, and ebay.com)

This device is designed for displaying speakers on a stage. You mount the speaker on the pole and use a crank or drill to raise the speaker to the desired height. The pole is stabilized with a 3 legged stand. The device is designed to raise an 80- 100 pound speaker from 47” to 80”.

The link to company On Stage Stands which makes the speaker stand is

http://www.onstagest... /grp/GRP000168

To use the stand with my camper I modified the speaker stand by removing the three legs and the support stand from the bottom, leaving a 46” pole with a crank system. I also removed the rubber feet from the 3 legs and placed them on the top and bottom of the pole to protect the floor and roof of the camper shell.

This makes it possible for my wife and I to raise the camper roof easily. The pole is made of aluminum and weighs only about 4 lb without the stand. The pole is easy to store. Time will tell how durable the crank system is, but it doesn’t seem to labor when I use it to raise the poptop.

Bill from So Cal

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010082.JPG
  • P1010083.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#8 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:57 PM

one more picture . . .

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010084.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#9 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

@ Stan-

If I had known of that gizmo, I probably would have bought it.

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

@ Stan-

If I had known of that gizmo, I probably would have bought it.

I wonder if one could use the crank up pole from a sun umbrella.You never know.I myself have the outside lifters that work great with a load or not on the roof.Also I carry the lever lifter that Les made,haven't had to use it though.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users