• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

I am installing a pair of Gabriel hijackers air ajustable shock absorbers on my Chevy 1500 1/2 ton before heading to Alaska. The shocks come with a "T" fitting for joining the two inflation lines to a single Shrader valve providing for inflation of the shocks together. A kit, Gabriel part number 140656, can be purchased which provides two brass Shrader valves allowing independant inflation of the shocks.

I would be interested in the experience of others with this equipment.

Thanks, John

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

The problem with air shocks is you're asking a suspension component which is not designed to carry part of the load, to now carry part of the load. Which affects what it was designed to do, act as a dampener. Never heard anything good about em.

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

Craig,
Man I wished you would have asked earlier, I installed no less than 4 pair on my old T100. On each trip one or both blew out the internal air bag. I followed the installation instructions to the letter on each pair (it aint rocket science). I finally had to get MasterCard to intercede to get my money back. I wish you good luck and hope you have better luck than I did.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 Pete D

Pete D

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

I had air-adjustable shocks on the rear of a previous pickup (they lasted 16 years!) but they had bent the studs to which they were fastened because the studs weren't designed to carry the entire load of the truck, cargo and trailer tongue weight... Looking back, I'm surprised the studs didn't shear right off.

Spring strengthening (add a leaf, air springs, or overload springs) make more sense because they connect to things like axle and frame, rather than studs.

Keep in mind, however, that after-market springs/shocks don't increase the load ratings of the basic truck, nor do they transfer weight to the other axle; all they do is raise the body. There's nothing magic there; ignoring the 'boing' action, one could accomplish the same leveling effect by wedging a couple of 2x4's in there. Take a rig with air-adjustable anything to a scale, park the rear axle on it and then play around with the air and observe the scale results, or lack of them...

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

I actually used the 2X4 method on a yard trailer I used to move a full keel sail boat from Wilmington to Oxnard. Big hose clamps and side streets did the trick. I've long since sold the boat but it still sits on that trailer in the boat yard.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:50 AM

To confirm some of the things said before in this thread; After I installed my new Gabriel air shocks, I inflated them to 10 pounds and drove the truck for a couple of weeks empty and for utility work. It worked fine, drove slightly stiffer than with standard shocks. Today, I put on the camper. After it was loaded, I measured the pressure in the shocks. Lo and Behold, the pressure was boosed to 15 psi by adding the weight of the camper. The tires were inflated at 35 psi, so I boosted my load range C tires up to 50 psi and inflated my shocks to about 25 psi. This raised the truck to a nice ride height. I will report further results.

#7 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:42 AM

The air shocks worked all the way to Alaska and back. The truck suspension never bottomed out once. No air was added the entire trip. Shocks are still holding air when checked after returning home. As far as I'm concerned, this truck and camper combination rides better than my Lincoln, smooth as silk. There are no handling problems. The truck and camper ride level.

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:10 AM

The tires were inflated at 35 psi, so I boosted my load range C tires up to 50 psi

Hey John,

That 50 psi max is when you have reached your max load for that tire. At that psi you will wear out the center of those tires quickly. You can make a chalk line across the thread pattern and drive a short distance striaght on a clean surface and see where the chalk has been worn off. Then keep letting out air until the chalk wears even across. Then record the psi.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Locationwa state

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:19 AM

think air shock are ok as long as you dont depend on them for raising your truck for clearance, as in over sized tires to clear , or for really increasing the load you haul, for that I would recommend air bags, just ask yourself if you do blow a shock what will happen when the truck drops down real fast?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users