40 replies to this topic

#1 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

Posted Image

This is our planned trip, based on advice from forum members and church family. We'll be leaving Thursday morning and checking in whenever the mood hits.

2. Tombstone
3. Pick up Hawk
4. Goleta
5. Lompoc
6. Morro Bay
7. Lovers Point Park
8. Sequoia NP
9. Las Vegas
10. Hoover Dam
11. Grand Canyon NP
12. Winslow, AZ
13. Home

tah!

M&E

#2 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

impressive...keep us posted and travel safe!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

Great trip Mark and I feel somewhat responsible so drive safely and enjoy.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

Mark,

Excellent map and description. Have fun and good luck.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#5 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

Mark,

Looks like a great trip. We did a similar one last summer from Denver. Grand Canyon, down to San Diego then, up to Monterrey and back through Vegas. We stayed at State Park campgrounds along the coast. We really liked the Morro Bay area.

Have a wonderful trip and congratulations on the camper.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#6 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:47 PM

One of the longest one day drives I ever did was from Beaumont (left at 4am) to El Paso (arrived 11pm), with a stop in Del Rio. Man, that's a big state!

But you know that already. I've only gotten two speeding tickets in the last 15 years, one was on that stretch from Amarillo to Fort Worth. The other was north of Amarillo in Dumas or maybe Dalhart. So watch out for those Lone Star state troopers, but you probably already know that too. ;)

Hope you have a great and safe trip!

#7 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

One of the longest one day drives I ever did was from Beaumont (left at 4am) to El Paso (arrived 11pm), with a stop in Del Rio. Man, that's a big state!

But you know that already. I've only gotten two speeding tickets in the last 15 years, one was on that stretch from Amarillo to Fort Worth. The other was north of Amarillo in Dumas or maybe Dalhart. So watch out for those Lone Star state troopers, but you probably already know that too. ;)

Hope you have a great and safe trip!

Heh.

I have known state troopers in several states back East who all told me that as long as I keep my speed limited to the posted limit plus 10% I wouldn't get a ticket. This is easy to do with GPS and cruise control.

One time in the middle of Nowhere, TX, on I-10 I got stopped going 77 in a 70. The State Trooper, who was evidently bored, asked me how fast I was going. I replied, "No faster than 77, sir." He let me off with a stern warning not to speed through his desert.

:P

#8 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

When we moved to Tucson last month I registered both vehicles with veteran plates. I've been told it gives you an additional 10 MPH.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#9 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

Here are some words and pictures from the early part of the trip...

As you can see, it has been very rainy in Houston this summer. Rain is one reason we decided to go away from tent camping-- drying wet gear can really slow down progress.
Posted Image

We tried to travel as light and fast as possible on the way out to pick up the Hawk. We decided to take the tailgate along for security reasons.

Speaking of rain, it even rained in the desert...
Posted Image

We decided to motel it on the way out to save time and avoid getting wet.

Our first scheduled stop was Tombstone. We can plainly see the yen for puns runs long and deep in this area...
Posted Image

Tombstone was founded as a mining claim by Ed Schieffelin, who, oddly, is not portrayed in any of the now tourist trap's dramatization insofar as we could tell.

#10 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

Anyway, the first thing we did was pay our respects to the local watering hole...
Posted Image
...where I of course ordered whiskey...
Posted Image
...but that was all, because I had already thought to bring my own Mexican girl--
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users