30 replies to this topic

#11 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

Camped in the main valley in my TrailBlazer tent trailer several years ago. No objections from the camp host or the Rangers. Just no food even near the tent and was advised to remove ALL food from the Suburban.

A gal next to a friend of mine that same trip had a loaf of bread stolen by a bear, from literally behind her back. Pulls said loaf out of the locker and set it on the table. Turns back around to get more sammich makin's out the locker and SWOOSH!!! thru comes a bear grabbing the loaf and is gone before she could turn around. My friend watched all go down. This in a camp ground full of people and screaming kids. No idea where the bear was hiding or where it went to.

I think that I'll just not bother with Yosemite any more. Too many people there anyway.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#12 DonM

DonM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationChilliwack,BC

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

Took this a couple of weeks ago in the Yukon. Looks like this is going to become much more common.
We saw over 20 bears in one day on the Stewart Cassiar Hy. mid June. Mostly black but a few grizzlies,they
even seem to pose for the camera.
and I like bacon but in this country.....

Attached Thumbnails

• P1000558.jpg
  • P1000107.jpg

09 Eagle smooth roof, dinette 09 Mazda B4000SE 4x4

#13 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

One of the things that scares the bacon out of me is not being at the top of the food chain. Last year when I drove to Alaska I wasn't to happy I had to leave my bear spray at home. That being said, while seeing many bears not once did I feel they where a threat.

mike

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

One of the things that scares the bacon out of me is not being at the top of the food chain. Last year when I drove to Alaska I wasn't to happy I had to leave my bear spray at home. That being said, while seeing many bears not once did I feel they where a threat.

mike

We tend to be more concerned with bears at places like Yosemite than at Yellowstone or Alaska.In california there are just too many bears around.I talked with a fish and game guy last week.We discussed this problem.Seems like there about 3 times the historical number of bears here but only about 1700 are allowed to be hunted per year.
Places like Yosemite need to get tuff with the problem bears that have been habitilized (sp) to humans like Yellowstone has done over the years,even if it means that the problem ones need to be killed,and campers maybe need to be more educated. Juct saying "IMO"

Sorry for the soap box.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:21 PM

Sorry for the soap box.

Frank

I agree.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#16 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

We tend to be more concerned with bears at places like Yosemite than at Yellowstone or Alaska.In california there are just too many bears around.I talked with a fish and game guy last week.We discussed this problem.Seems like there about 3 times the historical number of bears here but only about 1700 are allowed to be hunted per year.
Places like Yosemite need to get tuff with the problem bears that have been habitilized (sp) to humans like Yellowstone has done over the years,even if it means that the problem ones need to be killed,and campers maybe need to be more educated. Juct saying "IMO"

Sorry for the soap box.

Frank

Can you clarify a couple of things for me?

Did the Fish and Game guy say the "3 times the historical number" was for all areas of California or just around heavily visited areas like Yosemite, or in federal land or ???

Did this number take into account the huge loss of habitat to urbanization? What I mean by that is, has the total bear population gone up 3 times in California, or has the bear density gone up because of habitat loss and human overpopulation?

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:18 AM

Can you clarify a couple of things for me?

Did the Fish and Game guy say the "3 times the historical number" was for all areas of California or just around heavily visited areas like Yosemite, or in federal land or ???

Did this number take into account the huge loss of habitat to urbanization? What I mean by that is, has the total bear population gone up 3 times in California, or has the bear density gone up because of habitat loss and human overpopulation?

Of course there has been a lot of lost habitat here in California and other things that account for the problems.I believe the reference is for California total. The amount of bears seems to have tripled over the years. I seem to have seen something about the number going from 10k to about 30k and that is about what the fish and game guy felt. Don't know how long of a time period that has accrued over.I am not trying to put numbers out there but what with more people in the bear area and easier pickings for them may have an effect on the run-ins with people.We are seeing bears in places they haven't been seen in a long time.Yosemite is a bad place.So many people and lots of forgetful food items left out.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#18 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:05 AM

Hmmm. Well there are over 37 million residents of California, with a growth rate of 10 percent over the last decade. I guess I respectfully disagree that the solution to the bear problem is to kill more bears.

On a related note, I am interested in doing the seven day guided hike of the Yosemite high country. It's so popular that there's a lottery for that, much like the draws for hunting. I think we have to expect more of that kind of thing in our future. I hate the idea of my probably being denied this activity, but preservation of the wild places in an overpopulated world is more important than my personal gratification. Sigh.

OK, apologies for the hijack and me getting on my soapbox. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program of bears ripping up tents.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:50 AM

Hmmm. Well there are over 37 million residents of California, with a growth rate of 10 percent over the last decade. I guess I respectfully disagree that the solution to the bear problem is to kill more bears.

X2. A friend of mine had a bumper sticker, "Support the right to arm bears!" Posted Image An oldie but a goody.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,017 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

I'm surprised we never have bears at antelope lake. You should see the amount of food thats left out overnight. Maybe because its the "boys" trip, we mark our territory really well :rolleyes:

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users