23 replies to this topic

#1 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

Greetings all.
Last year about this time my wife and i were doing prelim research on what would replace our Tacoma+Trailer combo for light overland camping. We seriously toyed with the idea of having Mark create one of his fantastic campers for us though in the end the tug of a Van won out. We found a year end clearance on a 2010 AWD van and began upfitting it with roof, awning, bed and all the interior fixings of a nice camper. Here are some teaser shots and i've included a link to the sportsmobile build thread for any who would like details...BUT ask away here and i'll do my best to answer.

Happy Trails!
Thom & Cari

outside :
Posted Image

and some inside shots done up in ACU (Army Combat Uniform) Camo as a theme:
Posted Image

Posted Image

our froli sleep system bed before placement inside van (it creates a 20"H x 66"W x 80"L under bed storage area for all our gear well organized.
the froli system detail:
Posted Image
and what it looks like with pad and cover ready for the sleeping bags/bedding:
Posted Image

: )

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

Looking good! I still like the van platform for a camper the best I think. 4wd vans are so few and far between these days though. Do you plan on adding a furnace?

#3 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:25 AM

Hi DD : )

What we decided to try out is the HeatMate 5200 Portable Alcohol heater/stove combo. So far we've only fired it up once in the van on a chilly morning. ~10 minutes and the van was warm and i had a kettle full of boiling water : ) Since most of our time camping is either on the beach or i5 corridor (Battle Ground WA or Sweet Home OR) the weather is mild and spring-fall mornings rarely get below ~40 so things warm up easily.

The AWD on the van is a real plus for us on the coast with all the wet roads. Our prior vehicles were two generations of Volvo AWD wagons and we missed the AWD when we went to the Taco 4x4.

Next fall we are planning a trip to Sumpter via HWY26 then home via HWY84 so the heater might get more of a workout!?

Thom

#4 dsw4x4

dsw4x4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDrake, CO

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

Hey accrete,
glad to see you over here! Do you like the froli system springs? Did you notice a big difference? Just curious I was thinking about using them but I have never heard or read any feedback about them.
Derek
www.coloradocampervan.com

#5 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

Hi Derek, the FROLI system is AMAZING!
The first morning waking up on our high end sealy pillow top mattress in the house after spending a week on the road with the van/froli my wife asked me when i was going to order a kit to replace our sealy! . . the Froli is that good! So this October i'm ordering a queen size kit and swapping out the sealy in the bedroom.

Posted Image

#6 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Ah, update on utilizing the HeatMate in the van for a quick heat-up on chilly mornings... we woke to ~36 temp one morning in Sumpter last week and i fired up the HM i had staged the night before between the two front seats. I then put the kettle on, and by the time the water had boiled ~10minutes, we were comfortably warm in the van and i turned the unit off and had a cup of nice french press coffee : ) The unit was easily handled at the level of the lower vent holes, barely warm to the touch, and room temp on the bottom.

#7 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Greetings adventurers!

It has been a while since i've posted here, though i've been reading and enjoying following trip reports and builds/projects.

I wanted to share a quick update on the state of our adventure rig.

Posted Image

The image above is of our 2010 Chevy 1500 AWD van conversion mentioned in this thread pulling our 2013 (delivered in April) Parkliner fiberglass travel trailer. The idea behind the combo is two-fold.
1) After a couple years of utilizing the TACO we realized that going off-road alone (we are after all happy hermits!) was no longer what we considered _safe traveling_, so we opted for a more-asphalt-bound AWD van to convert to basically Bed & Bath. The last two years with the van have been wonderful. We still prefer camping in BLM or Forestry undeveloped camp grounds off-grid. BUT (& point 2) we were both getting tired of setting up insta-room camp kitchen areas and similar, and then taking down the often soggy mess and having to deal with it once back home, which often times was raining too! AH, Life on the Oregon Coast!

Sooooo....since we were now traveling to areas that were accessible by conventional (read non 4x4 rigs), yet off the beaten asphalt path :) we began researching getting back into a small trailer (we had the A-liner 17ft folding trailer for two seasons but that was a PITA to raise/lower in the high winds and rain, and was sold). We saw a prototype of a Parkliner 15 foot fiberglass trailer in Olympia Washington area and placed an order the next day (January 2013). Our #035 arrived from North Carolina plant in mid April and we had our maiden voyage the last weekend of April. It was a fiberglass trailer rally in an Oregon state park...~60 trailers, only 1 Parkliner...it was non-stop tours and lots of well wishers. A fun event!

Here is a parting shot taken inside the little trailer and also links to
Our Van build on the Sportsmobile van conversion forum &
Our Parkliner build on the Fiberglass RV forum for any interested in more details.
Happy Trails!
Thom (& Cari)

Posted Image

#8 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

Great looking setup, Accrete!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#9 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:33 AM

Thanks Stew, it's been a fun project. And similar to many here...once you get one little tweak tweaked you are looking for the next one : )
Thom

#10 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:51 AM

It's been a while since i posted any update on our AWD van and thought some would enjoy the look/see.

Here is a recent shot of our rig:

_TGL-AWD_11-2013.jpg

This year's mods included a ~2.5" lift kit from Boulder Off Road Vans, Rhino Liner applied to bumpers/rockers/wheel-wells, Truck-Lite 5"x7" LED Headlights and a fairly complete overhaul of the interior. All professionally done (and paid for in cash < that is a happy feeling).

We are luvin' the van all the more and Cari (my wife) is asked lots of questions just about every trip out and about (her daily driver).

Cheers,

Thom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users