• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:11 AM

I just had my 6 month old Sure Power model 1314 Battery Separator fail, it wouldn't stay closed so all the driving in the world wasn't charging my camper battery. Which lead to a dead battery after 3 days of running my 12v fridge and 2 nights of heat. Anywho - in emailing with the company it was determined mine is part of a very recent recall. The recall involved the separator over heating and possibly catching fire!! YIKES!

So check your campers - I know FWC uses them from the factory and they are super common for the DIY guys...

Here is the notice I received from Sure Power.

They handled my emails very fast and offered me a refund or a new one. No questions asked, no giving me the run around as if I didn't know what I was talking about. They are a local company to me and I've used there stuff for 20 years - so I am sticking with them and getting a replacement.

Attached Files

2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#2 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I checked mine and it isn't in the recall. Nice to know about the company policy.
Dsrtrat

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

Just checked mine.It seems to fall within the numbers.I e-mailed the co.Now waiting for a response.Thanks for the heads up.I have had no problems with mine that I have noticed ,it works like it should but don't want to take any chances.I have an alternative charging source (solar) so if it failed during a trip as long as there was no damage I could still have my battery charged.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

Yep I have one as well. And wouldn't you know that I am leaving for an extended trip on Friday.

Cort

#5 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

So I just got off the phone with Sure Power. No replacements available until September....doesn't help much when you are leaving in a few days. I requested a refund, which for my model is $80.00. Does anyone have any ideas on another brand that I can get fairly rapidly?

Cort

#6 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

Okay sorry for all the updates guys but I just found this unit:

A local supplier had a Newmar BI-100 (PN 490-4345)

This is a repackaged Surepower unit and they call it a battery integrator not a battery separator. On the outside of the Newmar box I found these numbers 1315NM, which matches one of the model numbers on the Sure Power recall. This model number is not listed on the unit itself making it hard to identify that this unit is actually made by Sure Power and could be recalled as well. I was able to find one outside recall range. I Thought folks would want to know about this since its easy to miss.

Cort

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:52 AM

Just received my response from Sure Power,stop using and send back NOW.So what do we all do? Use the unit,find a new one as Cort has found out that the other units seem to be the same?This becomes a problem when most of us plan to use out campers before september.

Stan,Marty what do you suggest?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:08 AM

A quick search and found that the 1314-200/1315-200 might be a replacement.Don't know much about all this just looking for ideas.Will check with the company in the morning and see if that is a replacement.These aren't on the recall list.I'll post what i find.

Frank

#9 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

If the manufacturer has deemed there is enough of a problem to warrant a recall, it will have a timeline of immediately (i.e. NOW!). They can't very well advise you to keep using it until it is convenient for you to replace it. If your camper burns down before you got around to replacing it because they said take your time, even though it is a known hazard, that exposes them legally.

You have to make your own judgement to the risk/reward ratio choosing to continue to use it. So you can replace it now with soemthing else or choose to wait.

I bypassed mine in favor of a truck mounted automatic charging relay unit.

You could wait to replace it when stock is available this fall and unplug your cable to the truck bed power receptacle, then it will be turned off and present no problems when you are not looking. Plug it in temporarily when you need it and can monitor it for your peace of mind.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

Just received my response from Sure Power,stop using and send back NOW.So what do we all do? Use the unit,find a new one as Cort has found out that the other units seem to be the same?This becomes a problem when most of us plan to use out campers before september.

Stan,Marty what do you suggest?

Frank

I've been speaking with Jeff & Marty at All Terrain Campers over the last couple of days. Obviously not every single separator is bad or we would have been hearing horror stories for years but ATC feels, as do I, the prudent plan is to follow Sure Power's recommendation to stop using the separator now. ATC found a distributor for the Newmar unit (a re-packaged Sure Power unit) in the Bay Area but they are out of stock and that Newmar is almost 3 times the cost of the Sure Power unit. Sure Power claims that they will not have replacement separators until September but it remains to be seen how they will be able to handle the volume of the recall. In the meantime ATC will be going back to the method of using a solenoid and thermal breaker until Sure Power irons the situation out.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users