100 replies to this topic

#21 Idaho

Idaho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNanaimo, British Columbia

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:47 PM

I will add my 2 cents we have been having problems charging the eagle camper for about a year. When I broke the front anchor bolts on the eagle down in the baja I took it into FWC to get them fixed. I also asked Stan about this issues his suggestion was to bypass the separator. Having no electrical ability at all I have been this year taking the battery out of the camper and charging it as I cannot get any charge to the battery whatsoever anymore not even plugging in the camper. Thank you for bringing this to our attention really appreciate knowing this is the problem to my camper as I have the model 1314 installed. It just pisses me off because I bought a brand new battery last year.....Oh Well. Will see if I can get a refund up here in Canada. If not I know what the problem is now.

Cheers Tony

Hoping for NFL Football

#22 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Has anyone heard anything from FWC on this issue? We have a 2010 Hawk and are concerned about it as we are about to head out for a month long trip. Does anyone know where I would look for this surepower unit in the camper?
Michael

Michael,the separator should be in the camper where the battery is.As I have posted Jim Smith (Smith Auto Electric) has said that the 1314-200 is made for alternators of 100 amps or more.The 1314 may not be right for that amperage.That is what I got from the conversation with Jim.Stan has not said anything about this that I am aware of.There are several web sites to order the replacement from.I didn't ask what Model Sure Power was going to replace the 1314 with.I didn't wait around for their replacement and will take the refund and put it towards the new one.

Hope this helps.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#23 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:49 AM

I just received the new separator and installed it zip-snap.The blue terminal is the main battery. It seemed to be a bit confusing ,but a little trial and error works. The 1314-200 is on the right. Quit a bit bigger than the 1314. Just by looks and heft the new one would seem to be heavier duty.If there are any changes in this install I'll post.Sending the old one back for a refund.If this is the route you take call the Sure Power co.and talk to Judy and she will get you set up with a UPS return label.

Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3439.jpg
  • DSCN3440.jpg
  • DSCN3441.jpg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#24 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:00 AM

Just pull the fuse when using the camper battery, reinsert when you want to charge. Basically the same thing the separator does, opening the circuit.
Dsrtrat

I'm going to just run without the separator for the rest of the summer and straight wire the truck charge line to the camper battery. I'm really not at risk of draining my truck batteries in the summer now that it is finally warm enough to not need the heater.

It will charge all the time - which will be better than not charging.

#25 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

Frank,
Please explain. My understanding was the 1400-200 was for a 200 amp alternator. I also was led to believe that
Sure Power suggested it not be used on vehicles that don't have 200 amp alternators. Further I thought most vehicles have something less than a 200 amp alternator. When you called Sure Power did they tell you something different?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#26 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

Frank,
Please explain. My understanding was the 1400-200 was for a 200 amp alternator. I also was led to believe that
Sure Power suggested it not be used on vehicles that don't have 200 amp alternators. Further I thought most vehicles have something less than a 200 amp alternator. When you called Sure Power did they tell you something different?

Jay when I talked with the Sure Power people they didn't give a lot of info. It seemed they didn't want to commit themselves and would NOT exchange the 1314 for another separator except wait for the unnamed model sometime in Sept. or get a refund.Now when I talked to Jim Smith (Smith Auto Electric) his recommendation was the 1314-200,which is made for 100 amp alternators .If I read the info right the 1315-200 is made for the bigger 200 amp alternators.Jim also said he has recommended to the Sure Power people that they need to upgrade or not make the 1314. I am not just sure if there is a real problem with the recalled models BUT I can't take the chance. IOM it's strange that ATC/FWC haven't gotten in on this issue.Do they still use them or have they gone to something else? It would be nice for them to add their comments.The main issue is than if you have one of the recalled #s to do whatever you need to do to be on the safe side. Still hope all this helps.This is what works for me.

Frank

#27 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for that info Frank. ATC is on it and they're going back to the solenoid method until Sure Power gets the new units in. ATC and I have contacted all of our owners and sent them the recall information. I too will be waiting for one of the new units.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#28 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for that info Frank. ATC is on it and they're going back to the solenoid method until Sure Power gets the new units in. ATC and I have contacted all of our owners and sent them the recall information. I too will be waiting for one of the new units.

Thanks Jay. I knew Marty would come through.Thats why I bought my Bobcat from them. What do you mean by the solenoid method?

Frank

#29 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

Just a heavy duty solenoid with a heat sensing device. Many of us used this method when we wired our trucks in the past before the separator was OEM. I still have one installed under the hood of the Dodge. It's no longer connected but it could be put back into service pretty easily.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#30 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

I just spoke with Surepower tech support.

I have a Nissan Frontier with a 110 amp alternator. Their recommendation is to go with the 1314-200 as a better match. The 1314 would be adequate but it would be on the edge, so bigger is better. However, it will require heavier wiring, the posts are bigger, and the ground is bigger. I need to look at the tech specs to find what is required.

I got my 1314 from ATC, so I need to check what my wiring and terminal sizes are.

It makes sense that Surepower is not saying that the 1314-200 is a replacement for the 1314, because in all situations it isn't, it is dependent on the alternator size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users