• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:20 AM

Mark, I once picked up a solenoid battery seperator at a Checker auto parts store.

Alternatively you could temporarily install a manual switch in its place until you can get the battery seperator. That way you could at least charge the camper. Just don't forget to turn the switch off when you stop to camp.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#12 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

Ben
That was my thought as well I have a 30A inline fuse and figured it would do the trick.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#13 Pete D

Pete D

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:24 PM

The thermal breaker is also the auto-reset circuit breaker if the auto-reset model is purchased (nothing special about the thermal part as that's how many circuit breakers operate). My guess is that the in-line fuse and the breaker are redundant protection (unless one considers the breaker to be protecting the fuse if the breaker is faster than the fuse...).

Come to think of it, the fuse is also thermal :D Breakers, at $5-6, are less expensive in the long run than ATC/ATO fuses; personally, I don't like the in-line glass fuse holders because they tend to have corrosion problems, esp around batteries...

http://www.crowbarel...Fuseholders.htm

#14 Pete D

Pete D

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:34 PM

The thermal breaker is also the auto-reset circuit breaker if the auto-reset model is purchased (nothing special about the thermal part as that's how many circuit breakers operate). My guess is that the in-line fuse and the breaker are redundant protection (unless one considers the breaker to be protecting the fuse if the breaker is faster than the fuse...).

Come to think of it, the fuse is also thermal :D

Breakers are less expensive in the long run than ATC fuses if you buy the fuses in onesy-twosy; personally, I don't like the in-line glass fuse holders because they tend to have corrosion problems, esp around batteries and prefer the covered ATC holders.

http://www.crowbarel...Fuseholders.htm

#15 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:47 PM

Pete,
When it comes to airplane systems and my electrical system I say you cant have too much redundancy. I've got everything fused all over the place just in case I did something wrong. Which for me is a daly occurance.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#16 Pete D

Pete D

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:07 PM

I hear you about redundancy.

Actually, what I have done on my wiring systems is an auto-reset circuit breaker at the truck battery and another at the house battery, with no fuses in the system -- I don't want to find the fuse was blown by discovering a dead battery when I expected a live one. I got the idea from the trailer brake control specifying an ARCB for the brake wire (apparently so one doesn't have to climb out on the hood to change a fuse whilst rocketing down a mountain pass...) :eek:

#17 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

Great idea. Where is it available?

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#18 Pete D

Pete D

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

Auto-reset circuit breakers (ARCB - aka Type 1 thermal recycling) are available all over the place, like auto parts stores, Ace Hdwr and even WalMart. I believe they come in sizes from 6 to 50Amps and a variety of different ways to fasten them down. Some ARCBs are marked as to which terminal is the battery or the load, so pay attention to that.

Hmm, I wish I'd known there are "boots" available for them; I tie-wrapped some split cable loom over mine in case someone clumsy dropped a tool on them...

I made up a short wire between a copper lug on one screw of my battery terminal (my Ranger is Mazda-based, so it uses the steel battery clamps, not lead ones) and put crimp ring terminals on the ARCB.

BTW, if you are using crimp terminals, do NOT tin/solder the wire ends before crimping -- The solder may 'cold creep' over time and pressure and the connection will loosen.

#19 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

Thanks Pete I'll be working on that today.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

I use nothing but heat shrink connectors now. Some even come with solder inside. A little pricey but it makes a good strong connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users