7 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

Some ONDA guys (Oregon Natural Desert Association -- a group of which I'm an active member/supporter) did a trip in the West Little Owyhee, Louse Canyon, and got the story and photos published Friday in the New York Times:

Bivouacking in Oregon’s Back of Beyond

Here's a link to many more photos from that trip that didn't make the NYT story.
I've hiked up the West Little Owyhee myself, back in 1993, from it's confluence with the main Owyhee -- a great trip, but we didn't explore nearly as thoroughly as these guys did. This is in extreme-south-east Oregon with tributaries in Idaho and Nevada...an area that makes the Alvord desert seem crowded.

Yesterday the Sierra Club picked up on this and spread a call for action -- protection -- to it's huge membership, and today ONDA posted on its Facebook page a link to a web page for Owyhee Canyonlands protection -- a multi-group campaign, not just ONDA.

Now, it's likely that such publicity will increase visitation to this little-known, little-visited area...and that by itself is not good for my personal enjoyment. But the same could have been said of Yellowstone and Yosemite back in their pre-protected days, and those national treasures would not have received the protection they did without national support, and that required national publicity. Local "stewardship" of national lands that isn't backed by protective national legislation frequently doesn't protect wild values; it's too easy for economic forces to raise the priority of resource-extractive commercial activities (mining, ranching, logging).

Anyway...if you're interested in protection of the Owyhee Canyons country, read up about it and, yes, visit it! Yes, even you Californians!
Posted Image
(OK, in the interest of full-disclosure, I'm actually a native of California, but since I've lived more than half my life in Oregon I've become a naturalized citizen of this state.
Posted Image )

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:07 AM

I agree that Publicity Precedes Protection. I have see too many secret little places disappear.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#3 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

Well ****, I hope I dont see hordes of visitors when I head there in a few weeks.
FWC-Owning Human

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

Well ****, I hope I dont see hordes of visitors when I head there in a few weeks.

Nah...I'm sure the hordes of nature-lovin', NYT-readin' MPAs won't show up until next year. Posted Image

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:04 AM

Mark this is a great post and that's a fantastic story. That is exactly the type of self-sustained outback hike I'd like to take (although I must admit I am scared of the rattlers down in a canyone like that). A remote spot like this is only going to attract the most rugged of individuals so I say promote away.

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:29 AM

I should also add that 700 mile trail from Bend sounds incredible. If that happens in my lifetime let me declare now that I'm going to hike the whole thing. I just announced it in public so no taksie backsies.

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:51 AM

Yes Mark, this is a great post and this effort needs a lot of support. Thanks for posting.

I received the link to the story from several friends that love the Owyhee area.

DD, we're counting on you! Why not make it a fund raiser based on how many miles you complete? Yeah, I know, it's in the future.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:27 AM

I should also add that 700 mile trail from Bend sounds incredible. If that happens in my lifetime let me declare now that I'm going to hike the whole thing. I just announced it in public so no taksie backsies.

Yesterday I was at ONDA headquarters in Bend for the final proof-review of the 2012 Wild Desert Calendar. (I've been compiling the celestial/almanac data -- lunar phases, solstice/equinox, meteor showers, etc. -- for the calendar for several years.)
Anyway...in the office they have a big map showing the Desert Trail (proposed route), and an ONDA friend asked me, "Mark, now that you're retired and have all the time in the world, are you going it hike 'The Trail'?".
Well, I can't think of a reason to not do it...given that it covers most of what I consider my favorite areas in Oregon. Ummm...I need to get in better shape, but there's no reason I couldn't do parts of it as parts develop...like the people who hike the whole PCT but do it over several years.
Posted Image

I must admit I am scared of the rattlers down in a canyon like that.

DD, rattlers can be your friends! They're really quite affectionate, once you gain their trust. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users