Why did you choose ATC over FWC

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#1 Star152

Star152

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

To all of the members who bought an ATC............
Why did you ?
I'm sitting on the fence and can go either way.....
How about a top 5 reason list......

Thanks can't wait to hear from all of you............

#2 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

They make a model that fits my Tundra just right.
And their customer service is terrific.
;)

#3 Waxer

Waxer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:31 PM

I chose ATC because:

1. of the the collective experience and integrity of ATC team
2. they use stouter material to build stronger frames
3. lower base price and options price
4. I knew who - specifically - was going to building my camper
5. Ben called or emailed back promptly every time I had a question, etc.

Don't waffle... pull the trigger before their prices go up in September.

#4 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:56 AM

I was just doing a price comparison a few weeks ago between the ATC and FWC.
The result is an Excel Sheet, that I just can't upload to this site.
But you can still see it here: http://spreadsheets....aPKPvTLHz9SBANQ

For the camper I am looking for I would spend $1,235.00 less for an ATC than the FWC.
Now, there is a saying "you get what you're paying for", but I never read or heard anything negative about any one of these campers.
Being a professional shopper (it's called purchasing manager) I usually look for:
- price
- quality
- availability & delivery times
- customer service

Food for thought
03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

#5 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

Great spreadsheet, BUT, FWC had a price increase July 16, 2007.

(FYI: ATC will have a price increase Sept 1, 2007)

It is possible to copy/paste that Google spreadsheet into a regular Excel spreadsheet. It just takes some minor tweaking to fix formatting, etc.

The FWC refrig is 2.0 cuft (not 1.9 cuft), and FWC also have a 3.0 cufu refrig.

The FWC Solar Panel is now 85 watt ($740) instead of 50 watt ($560).

Mike

#6 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who answered this thread, I really appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I hate to sell a camper just on price. Either company will give you a great product for a fair price. FWC has more opitons to offer and that neat couch that everyone likes.

We offer a solid product and our customer service can not be beat.

Either way though, you get a great product, a great resale value down the road and a way to enjoy your camping experiences that few people get to experience.

If you have any questions, feel free to call anytime.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#7 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:10 PM

#1. Superior customer service

#2. Price. At the time of my order ATC had a great promotional incentive which aided me in saving almost $2900.00 over a comparably equiped FWC.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#8 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:36 PM

My main reason is expressed best by Clark Beattie of Santa Cruz, California on the ATC web site...

You answered all of my questions and truly worked with me on the options that I needed, not just the ones that were for sale.

#2 Ben's (and company) reputation as mentioned many many many times on this forum.

#3 Quickly returning my emails and phone calls.

#4 Willing to do some custom tweaking on my Cougar.

#5 Price.

Notice, Price is last!

Mike

#9 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:36 AM

Mike,

Thank you for that one. I like that price was last on the list. Hate to think that when we raise prices that we will lose all our customers.:)
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#10 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:40 AM

I guess the title is a little misleading ;) and I can't see any reason not to choose an ATC.

The price issue aside and assuming that the quality is the same, there are a few reasons why I chose (got that right, I ordered my Bobcat a few days ago) ATC over FWC:

- Ben is not a sales person. He gave me all the options with all the pros and cons for each and everyone. In case of doubt, don't take it (his words in essence), most of the stuff can be added on later.

- ATC is willing and open to all special requests

- ATC will deliver where ever you are. At least in the US, I didn't ask about Canada or Mexico. I'm close to Miami, Florida, so this is a long drive to deliver a camper. ATC charges $0.75 per mile delivery, both ways.

- This is what Steven Alexander from FWC replied to my question about delivery to Florida:

We do not deliver all the way to FL, we do have a shipment coming up
that is going out to LA, and I can probably convince the boss to take it
a little closer as we usually will only go as far as eastern TX. Not
sure exactly how close, I will find out and let ya know. Delivery would
be around $1400 to take it out to LA. Is there any possibility of
meeting up in LA?

Please feel free to contact me with any questions, I would be glad to
help out any way I can.

Thank you,

Steven Alexander
Fourwheel Pop-up Campers / Six-Pac Campers

- ATC is the smaller company, they still have to build up their reputation and name, and more campers. If they screw up with just one camper and don't provide adequate customer service dealing with the issue, we would find out. Guess what would happen next .....
One unhappy customer for ATC can cost them the production of one month or more. One unhappy camper from FWC might cost them the same amount of customers, but the production of only a few days. Percentage wise the impact is much more severe for ATC than for FWC.
It takes many many happy campers to build a good reputation, it takes only one unhappy customer to bring it down.

- FWC has been in this business for how many years? 30? ATC is still in diapers compared to that. Competition is good, it helps us as the consumers to get the best quality for the price. ATC is still not a serious competitor for FWC, but once it grows it might be.

- Last but not least, SUPPORT THE LITTLE GUYS!

I buy the bicycles and parts for my family at the local bike shop. I might pay $50.- more for the bike than ordering it online. But these $50.- are my contribution to his shop for being there on a Sunday morning on my way to the local trail.

ATC is not around the corner for me, still not. But if my decision to get an ATC promotes their product on the east coast and serves as an incentive for others on my side of the US to get one. Then, maybe, one day, I might get my local ATC dealer.

It might be interesting to read what FWC has to say on this topic. Why choose a FWC over an ATC?
03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users