• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:57 AM

left early monday morning to miss traffic in LA still hit it glad when we reached lone pine on 395 sure feel sorry for people that were burned out in the last big fire,must be hard to lose everything and every day look out and see the damage caused by fire. made it to our camp site on a ridge outside of mammoth lakes,perfect 4x4 fwc spot spent evening unwinding from drive.next 7 days spent exploring mono lake ,virginia lakes,bridgeport,bodie, and wandered over into nevada and found the hot spring on the walker river (nice 4x4 trip)also traced down some geo-cache's and sighed the logs always surprised the amount of people that engage in this hobby.while camped out near mono lake we were awakened by a bear that knocked our dry food box off outside shelf,scared bear,scared wife,scared cat(rocky)scared me,wont be lazy anymore will put things away when in bear country. its so dry that the forage is sparse and the bears are coming down low looking for anything to eat.will post some pics,drive slow enjoy "its the journey"

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0507 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0506 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0510 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0508 (Small).JPG

#2 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:09 AM

Great pictures!

I also like this info...

its so dry that the forage is sparse and the bears are coming down low looking for anything to eat

I sure would like to see some detail pictures regarding your water, jerry cans, and awning setup.

Looks like there is a metal frame holding the awning and the side table? Does the table fold up?

Mike

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

Great pix Les,
I love that area and its just a stones throw from Saline.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

Great pics and what a cool set up! :cool:

I thought 395 was a very scenic road and Lone Pine was a really cute town. Having Mt. Whitney hovering overhead really added to the area. I hope the recent fires in the Lone Pine area haven't scarred the landscape or the locals too much.

So will you divulge any info about your sat. dish? That looks like a unique feature. I'm assuming the gray canister is a water tank?

Great bear story and lesson for all of us to remember -

#5 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

lg,

Sounds like you had great trip. Thanks for the pictures.

I'm also interested in your dish setup. Is that a standard dish and what type of receiver are you using? I just happen to have an extra dish sitting around and may consider setting it up some time. Also what powers the receiver and how easy is it to set up? Thanks for any info you might want to share.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#6 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

sat dish is just standard direct tv dish and receiver,we use a inverter (12v to 110v) 1000 watt (does not need to be this large 400 watt would work fine)15" LCD tv does not draw many amps,1 solar panel,5 amp output,1 extra 12v rv batt. easy to run tv 3 to 4 hrs a day (have done it when stormed in!)we dont use a water pump,noisy and wasteful,have sat in saline valley for 2 weeks without starting taco and never ran out of power. metal jug is for you new kids a original iglo water cooler (35 years old and unbreakable ) In regards to questin on racks i think i've posted some pics on fwc page drive sow and enjoy "its the journey"

#7 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

lq,

Thanks for the quick reply on the dish equipment. With our recent upgrade to HD I just happen have a receiver also. Enjoy
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#8 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:17 AM

real nice job! i'm sure i have seen your rig before.
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#9 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

Is that a metal frame holding the awning and a side table?

Does the metal frame fit in the bed stake holes?

Does the table fold up, or where/how is it stored?

Sorry for so many questions,
Mike

P.S. Really like the step on the trailer tongue. :)

#10 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:22 AM

i have some pics and info on some of my other posts you can look them up (i think) by going to member list for lqhikers and checking out posts,if this does not answer your question hit me again! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users