29 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

On my last camper I just used my bumper and/or my action packer as a step and that worked fine. However my new camper has a taller door and not bumper step so I need a better step solution. The kind that attach to the tire won't work as the tire is not directly under the door. My though right now is that I will go with an aluminum scissor step. Any other ideas?

Posted Image

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:10 PM

Do you want them to be affixed? When actually at camp I use a 2-step deally like this behind my FWC. If that is too short for the slightly taller flatbed they make three step versions. I just toss it on the floor inside the door when I'm leaving camp.

My intention on my build was to start there but perhaps evolve to making/modify a set of collapsing steps (same type of mechanism of folding) but have the upper rail connect to the flatbed securely so they don't kick out/tip if stepped on wrong.

Posted Image

Edit, if the legs don't work out because where the tire is (I forget how much they stick out the back, then trimming those off and just hooking the handle on some hooks off your flatbed rail might work). ~$35 starting point to consider. 3 steps $35 at lowes Verse probably over $200 for folding aluminum steps and more useful (if you don't need to trip the leg)

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 jcfly

jcfly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:14 AM

I'm wondering if a simple loop could suffice as a step. Meaning: A loop of 1/2 inch galvanized pipe, attached to two floor flanges bolted and braced to the flatbed itself. This would be located behind the tire. Food for thought....
Jim 2009 Chevy 2500 HD / 2004 FWC Hawk

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:28 AM

I would build a folding step just more than the width of the door. Steps pivot on the folding bar and a chain or cable holding the steps on the camper side. If the steps moved to much with the cable you could put a flat folding hinged bar like on a ladder, this would require more steps to set up and take down. I weld solid bar at the top and bottom of the folding bar to keep it from flexing. Also could put a round bar at each step and have them rotate on the round bar. Chain holding the folding bar would act as hand rails. When raised everything would fold flat taking a lot less space than a scissor steps. Find someone with a TIG welder and make it out of aluminum.

See crude drawing.

Attached Thumbnails

• steps.jpg

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

Hey I have an idea. Go to an airplane salvage yard and get one of these.
99.jpg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,019 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:01 AM

And as luck would have it, we have a large airplane salvage yard here in Sacto. Not far from me.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:02 AM

Hey I have an idea. Go to an airplane salvage yard and get one of these.
99.jpg

Marlee Maitlin said it best: "Ahsh Hoe" B)

#8 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:58 AM

How about some running boards?
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

How about some running boards?

Marlee Maitlin said it best: "Ahsh Hoe" B)

:)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Mark and Dick, you two brought tears to my eyes. I'm still wheezing. Thanks for the good laugh.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users