29 replies to this topic

#11 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

Our Hawk came with a nice solid three step ladder. Jay knows where they can be sourced ;)

In truth I find that entering/exiting the camper is one of the sketchier moves. I'm pretty nimble, but can see how it would be easy to biff pretty hard while carrying something like a beer in one hand. :D After thirty years in construction I'm kind of a safety nut, so prefer to have something that's doesn't require lot's of attention to stay safe.

The cool part of our set up is that the ladder folds flat and I've got it mounted to the fold-out rungs while traveling. Throwing the ladder inside, like the PO did didn't work for us. Too easy to wipe out the dog (who travels in the camper) or damage the cabinets with a loose ladder inside. We use the three step unit all the time when loading kayaks and such.

You have a 'blank spot' next to the door, so you could opt to do a wall mount ladder during travel. Ours takes about 15 secs to undo one strap and pull the aluminum stop I made to lock it down.

This recent shot shows an oblique view. If you're interested I'll post better shots.
Posted Image

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#12 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

Does your flat bed design allow the possibility of adding a custom slide out similar to the XP? Would need to be custom made (i.e. not cheap) for your use but the simplicity is pretty cool.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8248.JPG
  • IMG_8274.JPG

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#13 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

RV bunk ladders could work.

60" Ladder, w/ 1" Hook #7176

Posted Image Heavy gauge 1" aluminum ladders come fully assembled. Nylon-padded steps give you maximum comfort and padded feet help grip and protect your RV floor. Includes 1" hooks. 1/box.

DetailsPosted Image SKU:
Price:92-1054
$70.69
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#14 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

Y'know-

I dunno why Jay hasn't suggested this 'solution' yet...

Posted Image

I musta skeered him off...

#15 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

[b]RV bunk ladders could work.

Not too shabby of an idea there.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#16 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

The XP version wont work as the space for it needs to be built into the floor of the camper or the flatbed. While the ladder is a decent idea, using a ladder to get out of the camper when you are carrying stuff isn't very convenient. I'll consider the rest of the suggestions here thanks for the input!

#17 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

Y'know-

I dunno why Jay hasn't suggested this 'solution' yet...

Posted Image

I musta skeered him off...

Pure brillance!!! Thank you Mark. I'm going to use it to get into the overhead bed.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#18 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:38 AM

A friend has one of these http://www.pickupspe...hitch_steps.htm or something similar on his work truck.

With a tap of his foot he can swing it down, out and to the right to expose the step for easy access to his bed. Gentley pushing it back up, to the left and inward locks it in place again.

It's kind of small, may have to be installled in an original configuration, and wouldn't be easy to find while backing out of your camper while carrying your dinner, but it's another option.

Editted because I'm a litttle dyslexic and often confuse left and right, as well as east and west. Don't trust my directions!

#19 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

Lots of fantastic(al) ideas in this thread but I went with the scissor steps. The 4 step was the perfect height and mounted easily to the flatbed.

Posted Image

#20 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

Cool. I like my scissor steps. Hope you do too.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users