• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:30 AM

Even though I do not need the Cougar until June 1, 2008, I have talked extensively with Ben about configuring a Cougar before the price increase Sept 1, 2007.

Cougar with...
  • NO ICE BOX, just a positive latch door for extra storage
  • Furnace
  • Power Roof Vent over Front Bed
  • Front Sliding Window
  • Electric Water Pump
  • Mechanical Jacks With Brackets
  • Drill Adapter for Mechanical Jacks
  • Awning
  • Extra 12 Volt Outlet
  • Screen Door with clear slider
  • Artic Cold Weather Pack
  • Dead Bolt
  • Florescent Lights
  • Auxiliary Battery System
  • Full Size Closet on Passenger Side
  • Small Driver Side Window
  • 3rd/middle leg on couch/bed
I would appreciate any comments/questions about our options. :)

Mike

P.S. You may wonder why June 1, 2008... we have been traveling from Michigan to Montana (2000+ miles one-way) every June for five years working on our property clearing trees. We have slept in high tech tiny tents, a van, and a RAV4. We are treating ourselfs to the luxury of a real camper. :D

So, next June, we will drive to Sacramento, then drive to about 50 miles straight west of Glacier National Park, Montana, and then drive home to Kalamazoo, Michigan... 5600 miles instead of our usual 4200 miles!

We have never camped in modern camping places... we like quiet and lots of nature, and we like the simple ATC design.

A rather small deposit will assure our place in line so we can pickup the camper June, 2008.

#2 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:51 AM

I want a clear slider on my screen door too! Ben, buddy, how do I get one?

Looks like you are going with all the bells and whistles. From my short experience, I would recommend a second jack drill adapter. We just ordered one so two legs can be lowered/raised in sync.

A couple of observations: since the popup part has ample windows, a small drivers side window might be an expense worth saving? I don't have one and I don't feel like I'm missing a view out that side.

Will the passenger side closet cause the couch to be too short for practical use as a bed? I have no idea, just thinking out loud.

And we chose to have our power vent in the back and not over the bed. Our reasoning was a) the noise would be further away when sleeping should we want it on and B) closer to the cooking area should we cook inside. With very little experience, I have no idea if this was a good or bad decision. We just decided. I'm sure others can chime in on that with something valuable to add; just thought I'd point it out for consideration.

Good luck.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#3 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:41 AM

Both of the vents in my FWC are powered and I am very glad I got the front one. It's nice to have that breeze on a hot night and they're not that noisy on the low setting. When it gets too cool the fan can be turned off without getting out of bed.
I thought about getting the drivers side window but I'm glad I didn't. I don't spend much time inside during the day so the curtains are usually drawn. That space is also great for storage and I wouldn't be able to see the window anyway.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#4 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:17 AM

Wow, sounds nice to start from scratch.

As for the fridge,
I wish I had a built in for my Engle/ARB. I wonder if a slide out for the Engel/ARB would fit in the space of the stock fridge. This way, you'd have a very efficient fridge/freezer that could be removed when you don't need it. I was thinking of getting the slideout for the fridge, but don't know where to mount it in the FWC. The top opening door is a bit of a problem, but I am sure someone will work it out.

Gotta Admit. The fridge is a VERY nice luxury. Glad I have one.
dave

#5 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

From my short experience, I would recommend a second jack drill adapter. We just ordered one so two legs can be lowered/raised in sync.

Good idea!

A couple of observations: since the popup part has ample windows, a small drivers side window might be an expense worth saving? I don't have one and I don't feel like I'm missing a view out that side.

At first I said no, but after looking at Ward's pictures of his Cougar, I just liked that window, and getting older, I always like extra light. :D

Will the passenger side closet cause the couch to be too short for practical use as a bed? I have no idea, just thinking out loud.

Also see Ward's pictures of his Cougar... Ben says it does not affect the bed length.

And we chose to have our power vent in the back and not over the bed. Our reasoning was a) the noise would be further away when sleeping should we want it on and B) closer to the cooking area should we cook inside. With very little experience, I have no idea if this was a good or bad decision.

I have no idea also, except from a comment while I was talking with the Wisconsin FWC rep, Sean. Since we are vegetarians, we cook very little... but boil a sheet load of water.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH,
Mike

#6 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

Both of the vents in my FWC are powered and I am very glad I got the front one. It's nice to have that breeze on a hot night and they're not that noisy on the low setting. When it gets too cool the fan can be turned off without getting out of bed.

GREAT, thanks for that info!

I thought about getting the drivers side window but I'm glad I didn't. I don't spend much time inside during the day so the curtains are usually drawn.

Thanks for that info. I have not had a chance for the wife and I to talk about all the options I picked... that window may or may not make it into the final build. :D

Mike

#7 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

As for the fridge, I wish I had a built in for my Engle/ARB.

I also keep thinking about one of those, but since we are vegetarians, we would probably only have beer in it.

The Engel MT17 (Outside Dims 21.2" x 12" x 14.2") might be able to fit in the ice box hole, BUT, at $594... really expensive beer! :eek:

Mike

#8 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

I have the drivers side window and I like it. If only for visibility out that side when the top is down. Get the Engel, when in the boonies there is no price on cold beer on a hot day. My only regret on options is that I didn't get more when I bought the camper. Now that the purchase pain is over I'm glad I ordered most of the options.

Cheers,

Mike

#9 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

Mike,

Looks like you've chosen a good option package. We really like the 3-way frig. but certainly isn't as good or versatile as the Engel, just more convenient. Lots of luck.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#10 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

I have the drivers side window and I like it. If only for visibility out that side when the top is down.

I had not thought of that! :D :D

THANKS,
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users