118 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

ski3pin's post today on his home-made arctic-pack thread got me thinking about this subject again.
I think I'm going to try yet another approach to insulating the pop-up soft-sides of my FWC Hawk -- my third approach in as many winters. Posted Image

Two years ago I bought closed-cell foam (polyethylene) and cut it to length/width to fit the sides. I used adhesive strips of Velcro to attach it to the stock strip of loops at the top of the wall. This worked OK, but there were a couple of problems/drawbacks to this approach:
  • The foam makes a big, bulky roll(s) when removed from the wall.
  • Because the foam is relatively rigid, if the wind blows and causes the soft-side to flex then the foam buckles and pulls away from the bottom of the wall -- it doesn't seal well -- and cold air spills down/out from behind the foam. I guess I could establish another set of Velcro strips along the bottom of the foam, and I'd have to attach Velcro to the top of the hard-side to mate....
  • Adhesive Velcro doesn't stick well to polyethylene (almost nothing does), and the strips were peeling off the foam on my first trip. I guess I could sew/staple the Velcro to the foam...
Last winter I got Reflectix and it worked OK -- I still used it on my trip last month, but -- for me, anyway -- it still has issue 2) from above, and it has issue 1), but the rolls are smaller than the foam so not as bad.

I considered using fleece before I tried Reflectix, but I figured I'd have to use really thick/heavy fleece to equal the insulation/R-value of the closed-cell foam or the Reflectix. But now that I understand that the commercial Arctic-Pack works by trapping a simple, unbaffled layer of air against the soft-side and seems to have little/no insulation of its own I see that even standard/light-weight fleece should work.
And since fleece has intrinsic insulating value -- as well as the ability to trap air between it and the soft-side -- it might be better than the Arctic Pack approach.
Upsides vs my two previous approaches:
  • Soft/flexible so it can be folded/stuffed into any shape for storage
  • Soft/flexible so it can flex when/if the soft-side does and maintain a better seal against the top of the hard-side...though, a set of Velcro across the bottom would still be a good thing.
Potential downside vs Arctic Pack and/or my two previous approaches:
  • It's porous, so it could absorb stuff (water, grease, dirt). But it's machine-washable, and water dries fast from fleece.
  • I'll have to sew or staple Velcro strips to the fleece since adhesive surely won't work.

Has anyone tried fleece as soft-side insulation?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Off hand it might be too soft/droopy to maintain the airgap verse sluffing against the side. Also fleece will adsorb more water which might make it harder to air out.

That said it'd be interesting to hear the results.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

Off hand it might be too soft/droopy to maintain the airgap verse sluffing against the side. Also fleece will adsorb more water which might make it harder to air out.

I bet that the Artic Pack doesn't keep a constant-thickness layer of air either. If it was rigid enough to do that it wouldn't be flexible enough to be kept in place when the top is lowered...and the advantage of fleece is that it actually has an intrinsic R-value itself (aside from the layer of trapped air).

I will have to air it out after a trip...but one of the features of fleece is that it doesn't retain much water -- that's why it's such a popular insulator in outdoor-wear. When I machine-wash fleece clothing it air-dries fast.

Assuming I actually go through with this Posted Image...I'll definitely report the results here -- good and/or bad. Posted Image
I'm sure I'll go on a week+ trip between Xmas and New Years in central/eastern Nevada, as I usually do, so I want to do this before then. Since the simplest version of this approach -- buy fleece and cut to length/width then staple Velcro to it -- is very simple I'll probably pull it off.

#4 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

I suggest a cost comparison...

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

I bet that the Artic Pack doesn't keep a constant-thickness layer of air either.

Not constant by any means but if you look at the pictures in ski3pin's thread the fabric looks to be somewhat rigid/self supporting when hanging off the edge of a table or such where as fleece would tend to fold over the corner far more easily. I'm just partially concerned that fleece may stag into the outer wall easier, not sure if that would be negated by a taunt installation or not (or if it would stretch). I'm just throwing out a concern that crossed my mind for your consideration.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

Funny, it must be the time of year for insulation mods :)
I just cut out reflectix inserts for my FWC windows and door in prep for Thanksgiving trip to the East Side (12F last year!) and probably DV at Christmas.

Mark, I think the issue #2 with the reflectix/arctic pack not adhering at the bottom can be remedied with more velcro. Our tabs are spaced about 32" o.c. Fleece does trap air, which I think is it's insulation value, as does closed cell foam or reflectix. In addition reflectix (steal from Amazon): Reflects Up To 97% Of The Radiant Heat With An R-Value Of Up To 14.3 Depending On Application I wouldn't give it R14, but the radiant effect is immediately noticeable when you put it up.

We went the reflectix route you may recall (Cost $45 ). I like something that can't absorb water/dirt and never needs to be washed (ok, well maybe wipe with a paper towel ;)) The rolls were 24" wide, which is conveniently exactly the height of the sideliner. Although the top velcro attached easily I had no extra width to attach velcro on the bottom edge. I made flaps by folding duct tape onto itself and the reflectix. Result: a 2" long tab with velcro to connect the lower edge. We find deploying or stowing the two rolls (one roll per side) of reflectix to be an easy one person job as you unfurl or re-roll. I would be concerned about the floppy-ness of fleece and difficulty in folding it into a smallish bundle. Both our rolls fit behind the couch standing upright, so storage is pretty good. Our reflectix is only a year old and there's minor wear & tear. I do see a little bit of air leakage at the bottom, but it doesn't bother us. If I want better sealing, I can always add more velcro tabs.

I do like the idea of stapling through the velcro to secure it. I don't trust the self-adhesive tabs much, but they do adhere to the reflectix. I guess the main downside compared to Ski3pin's arrangement is that we have to remove the reflectix to drop the top (and put it up when we pop the top). To each their own solution! That's what makes this board great.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

Not constant by any means but if you look at the pictures in ski3pin's thread the fabric looks to be somewhat rigid/self supporting when hanging off the edge of a table or such where as fleece would tend to fold over the corner far more easily. I'm just partially concerned that fleece may stag into the outer wall easier, not sure if that would be negated by a taunt installation or not (or if it would stretch). I'm just throwing out a concern that crossed my mind for your consideration.

I understand and you could be right.
BUT: I think the possibility that the fleece might touch the wall more than arctic pack is ok, because the fleece has an intrinsic insulating value and the arctic pack fabric does not, and that's a big plus for fleece.
An unbaffled layer of air -- which is what the arctic pack provides -- is better insulation than nothing at all -- as proven by the reports that the arctic pack approach is warmer than the bare wall. But unbaffled air is not a good insulator compared to other possible insulators. For example, a traditional "air mattress" -- the kind that kids float around on and people used to sleep on -- are not good insulation against the ground because unbaffled air develops convection currents that transports heat, and not transporting heat is what an insulator is supposed to do. Another example: Thinsulate can provide the same insulation as thicker forms of synthetic because the fibers are thinner with smaller spaces between them, so it's harder for air to move through it and carry heat from one side to the other. So, having no fibers to restrict the movement of heat-convecting air -- e.g., arctic pack -- is not ideal.

I don't doubt that the arctic pack approach makes the camper significantly warmer...but I think that most of the effect is because the soft-side is no insulation at all, so even a simple layer of air as insulation is a big improvement. I just think I can improve on the "simple layer of air" approach. We'll see.

As for the cost, I don't think the difference -- if any -- will matter. The cost will be trivial compared to what I spend for truck-fuel for even one interstate camping trip, and the value will be received for years -- not just one trip. All that matters in this case is what provides the best net function.

Lighthawk: You're right -- a strip of Velcro across the bottom could address Issue 2). And as I said, I'm still using the Reflectix, so I'm not anti-Reflectix at all. Posted Image And if my usual procrastination applies, I still may be using Reflectix this winter, too. Posted Image

#8 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

Give it a go and report back, should be interesting to hear the results. By no means was I trying to discourage, just voicing thoughts to make sure they were considered. You have and don't take issue with them so get sewing! ;)

#9 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

Sounds like a good test. I think the arctic pak may be more air impermeable than fleece, but as mentioned, the fleece may have better R value. The better R, plus airspace may even be better than arctic pak.

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:17 AM

Hmmm . . . procrastinate or get sewing!
It's your call, Mark. :P

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users