13 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

Finally made the trip up there. What a view. I went up 80 from Sacramento to highway 49 up to Sierra City. Btw, if you like touring small cities, you need to check out downieville and sierra city. From Sierra City it climbs up a fair dirt road up the side of a hill.

Steep and narrow, definitely a little pucker factor when you look down. I met a vehicle coming down and we had a little difficulty squeezing by. Fold in the mirrors, eat some bushes. Thats probably where I lost my hubcap. After you crest the ridge you're in some nice forested country. I missed the turn to the lookout when I stopped to check my map at some old ruins. The sign to the turnoff is missing.

Attached Thumbnails

• moab 012.jpg
  • moab 013.jpg
  • moab 015.jpg
  • moab 018.jpg
  • moab 023.jpg

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:05 PM

So I get to the final turnoff to the lookout and the Forest Service has posted no vehicle signs (for fire danger). So I park and walk up. Long steep walk. I get to the parking area where the road is gated and see a couple trucks already there. Did I do the right thing? I'm still debating that. It didn't look like was any real danger in driving on up. From there it gets steeper yet. Sierra City is around 5000' and the lookout is 8547'. I'm not sure how much is gained on the way to where I parked and how much from the way on up from there (I forgot my gps) but its a steep the whole way. I didn't bring nearly enough water for the extra distance I traveled but at the stairs I bummed a bottle from a nice lady for the dog. Steep stairs on the way to the lookout. Not for the squeamish. Real nice 360' view from the lookout. On the way out I ran across some interesting things too.

Attached Thumbnails

• moab 026.jpg
  • moab 028.jpg
  • moab 029.jpg
  • moab 032.jpg
  • moab 033.jpg

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:06 PM

Some more pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• moab 035.jpg
  • moab 038.jpg
  • moab 041.jpg
  • moab 042.jpg
  • moab 043.jpg

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:11 PM

A few more pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• moab 045.jpg
  • moab 046.jpg
  • moab 047.jpg
  • moab 050.jpg
  • moab 051.jpg

#5 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:22 PM

Craig, great pictures. Thanks for posting. Another place on my list too see.

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

Btw, I took a different route out. Much easier and probably preferable if you're two wheel drive (though you can certainly do the route I went in two wheel, but it was easier on the rig in four low) or don't like looking at long steep drop offs.

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

Another thing. One reason I hadn't done this till now, is because of the altitude and topography, this area just gets buried in snow. Not a trip you can make early on late in the season. Witness the patch of snow still on the mountain in the middle of august.

Also, the drive along highway 49 is very scenic. Especially once its starts following the Yuba river. Theres a number of campgrounds along the river (all looked pretty full), hotels, bed and breakfasts, resorts etc.

Up in the flat area near the lookout theres no campgrounds but plenty of spots to boondock in.

At the intersection where one way goes toward the Gold Lake area (popular with four wheelers) one way back to Sierra City and one way back to highway 49, theres a large dirt parking area and a moutain bike trail. Signage makes this one sound pretty extreme. Expert level trail.

Looking at a better map now that I'm home (i had trail guild with me) it looks like if you go right from that intersection you will go to packer lake where theres some campgrounds. Also seems to be paved all the way to Bassets (above Sierra City).

Also, kinda weird. When I was at the lookout (maybe manned during lightning storms? hard to say, its open but most of the gear is removed) it seemed like there was just one butte. But you can clearly see the other buttes from the distance shots. Odd how perspective changes like that.

And oh, those stairs and the catwalk around the lookout, you can see through underneath. Not good for your agoraphobia.

Attached Thumbnails

• moab 039.jpg
  • moab 052.jpg

#8 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:07 PM

Craig,
Great write up and nice pics. Thanks for posting. I'll have to check that one out.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#9 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

Very cool stuff Craig!! Thanx...

#10 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX