#1 SLOJET

SLOJET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

Is anyone running one of the new F150 EcoBoost trucks with a FWC or similar? I'm in the process of looking at newer trucks to replace my 4wd 99 Dodge 2500 Diesel, with a 5spd manual which I love I've been back and forth between picking up a 07 5.9l Dodge 2500 CTD with low miles or going with one of the newer Fords. I love the way the Dodge handles the load of the camper and the fuel mileage, but with 210k miles I'm ready for something a little newer. The thing is that for the most part, I don't use the truck to haul the camper but maybe 2000 miles a year and the rest of the time I'm driving a tank for my daily driver. The interiors on the new Fords are light years ahead of the 3rd generation dodges in terms of creature comforts and as a daily driver it will be nicer, but I'm worried I'm going to hate it with the camper on. I know I'd need to install airbags for the load which is fine, but I'd like to hear from someone who's been down this road before.....

For my price point of around 32k I can get a 07-09 Dodge with 30-50k miles or a 2011 Ford with 15k miles. I'm torn...

I know the 1/2 ton 3/4 ton debate has been discussed in length, but I'm real curious to hear about the EcoBoost if anyone has experience with one.

Thanks,
Dave

This is the current rig...
Posted Image
Posted Image
2001 Hawk on a 2009 4WD Dodge 2500 Diesel.

#2 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

Good questions and I look forward to hearing some answers. I haven't come across anyone here on WTW running one though. Through the grapevine I hear they are awesome haulers and much better on gas than the 5.4 I have. If the rumors are correct the engine will have no issue with a camper. I have definitely overloaded the truck before and the engine didn't care at all.

The trim in the new model Fords is really nice, everyone who gets in comments on it. They did a very nice job.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#3 SLOJET

SLOJET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Wow..... Just did a little digging on some of the F150 forums and those guys are only seeing 9-12mpg when towing and 18mpg when unloaded. Seems the 22-23mpg that has been claimed by Ford is not really coming to fruition unless you have the 2wd model with the 3.15 or 3.55 gearing. I don't drive that much so doing the math it's really not an issue but that still stinks.... Guess I've been spoiled with with the 24valve dodge.

#4 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

Maybe the 6 spends too much time spooled out with a load. My 5.4 is shitty all the time, so it makes no difference if its empty or carrying 5000 lbs :D Maybe 20% difference.

#5 SLOJET

SLOJET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Maybe the 6 spends too much time spooled out with a load. My 5.4 is shitty all the time, so it makes no difference if its empty or carrying 5000 lbs :D Maybe 20% difference.

I think you're correct. It sounds like you need to stay out of the turbos to get good economy. Hard to tell how people drive that put up the posted numbers. They could have their foot up it's a** all the time....

That is the good thing about the diesels. I get 19-20 unloaded at 65mph and 17.5 loaded with the Hawk at the same speeds.

#6 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

I think you're correct. It sounds like you need to stay out of the turbos to get good economy. Hard to tell how people drive that put up the posted numbers. They could have their foot up it's a** all the time....

That is the good thing about the diesels. I get 19-20 unloaded at 65mph and 17.5 loaded with the Hawk at the same speeds.

If I could re-buy a new truck I would a) not buy a new truck and B) buy a diesel.

The F150 is still a tank unloaded. The front end is soft, sure, but with 10 ply's it still knocks your fillings out and can't turn around in a parking lot or parallel park anywhere considered "urban".

Having said that, I have a single in dual out cat-back Magnaflow system on it and it sounds so nice I'm not sure I could ever get another truck. But that's just me.

Sorry for steering your thread so astray! I love talking trucks.

#7 SLOJET

SLOJET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

No derailment here, I appreciate your impressions of the truck. I think I have answered my own question. I'm just better off staying with the 3/4 ton. I found a decent private party deal on an 2011 ecoboost with 3,000 miles on it and it got my brain going....

I did the brand new truck thing once and I'll never do it again. It was a neat feeling driving it off the lot, but new smell faded fast and the payments stayed the same. Better to let someone else take the depreciation hit....

Anyone in the market for a dialed in 99 dodge!??

If I could re-buy a new truck I would a) not buy a new truck and B) buy a diesel.

The F150 is still a tank unloaded. The front end is soft, sure, but with 10 ply's it still knocks your fillings out and can't turn around in a parking lot or parallel park anywhere considered "urban".

Having said that, I have a single in dual out cat-back Magnaflow system on it and it sounds so nice I'm not sure I could ever get another truck. But that's just me.

Sorry for steering your thread so astray! I love talking trucks.

#8 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:56 PM

This guy does, haven't seen any updates from him lately:
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4881/page__p__53789&#entry53789

My test mileage before the camper was around 18 MPG and went down to about 14 (freeway). I'm not sure how often the turbo on the ecoboost engine is kicking in, but if sound is any indicator, it would seem to be just from a cold standstill up a steep hill.

Also here is a good 2100 mile road test review of the truck side by side with one unloaded and one pulling 9000lb. http://news.pickuptr...v-6-part-1.html

To appreciate this motor you have to think about the market it was designed for. Many full size truck owners want to be able to tow their weekend toys but in reality that's only 5% of the driving they do in their rig. So for the bulk of the time the motor throws out pretty respectful MPG numbers. When you start loading it up it drops down to where a regular gas engine would be. That's just a fact of the energy available in gasoline, turbos just allow you do harvest more of it in a smaller engine size but you still require the same energy when loaded up, however unloaded there isn't as much wasted in the smaller motor.

So we know what it can do unloaded and also loaded the question really is where does a FWC land in the equation. Above it looks like it dropped from 18 to 14 but I've read these motors improve as they break in and also driving habits can be tweaked to capitalize on the motors strengths and minimize the weaknesses. I do like the fact this motor has peak torque around 2000rpm and holds 90% through the rpm band. This motor will definitely perform when needed to climb grades, esp. at elevation.

Last night I actually got a chance to check out under the hood of one of these trucks my buddy just bought, interest to say the least. There is a good foot between the radiator and front of the engine, in this zone is a cluster of ducting. Air filter output splits into two lines to the turbos mounted on each exhaust manifold, two turbo outputs combine back together for the intercooler mounted in front of the radiator lower down, then out of the intercooler to the engine intake. The factory computer looks like it'll display quite a bit of information too which is nice, including trans temp. He's only got 200mi on it but said normal driving but not getting on the throttle hard he's getting about 19mpg and if he's gradual on the throttle on the freeway can get up to 23mph. This is a 4x4 supercab shortbox.

A diesel will obviously always do better due to the energy per gal difference in the fuels but you pay for that premium right now in terms of vehicle cost and more expensive fuel currently. Lots to debate on whether it's worth while in our settings. If you tow big loads often its a no brainer.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#9 SLOJET

SLOJET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

Great article, thanks! It sounds like it would be no problem powerwise for the truck, even in the mountains which is where I gravitate to. I'm real curious to hear how the newer trucks handle with the camper. I notice it's on the Dodge but only cause I can't see out the back windown anymore. Otherwise, you'd never know it's there and I even have one of the Thuren suspension kits on it which softens the ride with a lighter spring rate in the rear.

It's interesting when you run the math what little difference a few miles per gallon makes. I drive around 10k miles a year.

Dodge CTD - 10k miles at a conservative 17mpg = 588 gal a year. At $4.35 a gallon for Diesel that's $2558.82 a year in fuel.

Ford EcoBoost - 10k miles @ an optimistic 20mpg = 500 gal a year. At $3.90 a gallon for gas, that's 1950.00 a year. (I'm being generous to the Ford here...)

So $600 a year to have the capacity of the diesel is a pretty fair trade in my opinion. Of course for those that drive two or three times that amount it starts to become more compelling.

This guy does, haven't seen any updates from him lately:
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4881/page__p__53789&#entry53789

Also here is a good 2100 mile road test review of the truck side by side with one unloaded and one pulling 9000lb. http://news.pickuptr...v-6-part-1.html

#10 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

I went from a 1/2 ton platform to a 3/4 ton platform. I would NEVER go back down to a 1/2 ton platform....just speaking from the safety perspective.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users