• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

buy a half-ton with the correct gearing and you can actually enjoy driving your truck.

I enjoy driving my 3/4 ton WAY more than driving my 1/2 ton.....even around town.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#22 SLOJET

SLOJET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

I enjoy driving my 3/4 ton WAY more than driving my 1/2 ton.....even around town.

Thanks for all the replies. I have come the conclusion that less is not more and I just really love the Dodge CTD's. I drove 500 miles to buy a truck yesterday and upon going through the paperwork it turned out to have a lemon/manufacturer buyback branded title. The seller failed to mention that little gem of information.... So onto the next. Driving up north to Yuba City tonight to hopefully strike a deal on an 09 white quad cab with the 6spd manual an only 14k miles on the clock. Crossing fingers for this one. Finding super clean trucks seems tough these days. They either are immaculate with a 10 inch lift and 22" wheels, or they are bone stock and beat to crap.......

My current rig is up for sale if anyone is interested. I may post it in the classifieds here soon. The website is a work in progress. still need interior pictures and a few other things. www.dodge2500diesel.com
2001 Hawk on a 2009 4WD Dodge 2500 Diesel.

#23 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

Just another thought and not to piss off Ford folks but Ford has not had great luck with first generation truck engines in the 21st Century. For that matter, and like my old auto chop teacher told me, avoid the first year or last year of a vehicle.

By following his advise I managed not to buy a '55 or '57 T-Bird. Ditto Corvette, Shelby Mustang and on and on and on. Oh there was that day I traded in my '40 Deluxe for a '60 Falcon. Come to think of it Never Mind!

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#24 camper357

camper357

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:14 AM

Yeah, I can't imagine driving your 12 year old underpowered toyota is much fun. I was talking about driving a newer F150, they ride as nice as most cars.

#25 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

Yeah, I can't imagine driving your 12 year old underpowered toyota is much fun. I was talking about driving a newer F150, they ride as nice as most cars.

My Toyota is not under powered at all as long as you don't drop a 1500 lb. camper on it's back. Around town it drives just fine....very car like too.

The point I was trying to make was not comparing my old 1/2 ton to your new 1/2 ton....but that the 3/4 ton trucks are not bad at all to drive around town. Not nearly as clunky as in the old days.

Safety wise it's a no brainer. I don't care what make or model year you are talking about. If you compare the same make and model for any given year, 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton......and you load that truck up with a Hawk camper.....the 3/4 ton will always handle the weight better and stop better than the 1/2 ton with the same camper. Its simple....bigger brakes means less stopping distance. I hope you are never in a situation where that difference matters....I've been there....and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#26 2wiresDave

2wiresDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMr Rodgers Neighborhood

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

My Toyota is not under powered at all as long as you don't drop a 1500 lb. camper on it's back. Around town it drives just fine....very car like too.

The point I was trying to make was not comparing my old 1/2 ton to your new 1/2 ton....but that the 3/4 ton trucks are not bad at all to drive around town. Not nearly as clunky as in the old days.

Safety wise it's a no brainer. I don't care what make or model year you are talking about. If you compare the same make and model for any given year, 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton......and you load that truck up with a Hawk camper.....the 3/4 ton will always handle the weight better and stop better than the 1/2 ton with the same camper. Its simple....bigger brakes means less stopping distance. I hope you are never in a situation where that difference matters....I've been there....and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I have pored over the specs on Fords pdf's and unless I am not understanding brake techinal speak I see very little differences. In fact, the 2012 F150 now has a slide in camper approved package that has a pretty large payload - an increase of well over 400 pounds comparing the same trucks side by side. No brake enhancements. Also, if you look at the 2012 F250 and a 2012 F150 I am probably not understanding what I am reading - but I don't see anything that says "bigger brakes". If someone cares to look and can explain it in layman's terms using the actual specs I would be grateful.

FWIW my 2011 F150 with max trailer tow package in the 6.5 bed supercrew has an available payload according to the door of 1690 lbs. My Hawk shell data sticker says it weighs 585 lbs with propane (I have the furnace). After my wife and I and two dogs are in the truck we still have over 700 pounds of payload capacity to spare. We did add airbags and E rated BFG AT's and are mindful that we have a load. With perhaps 20% of the lifetime miles of the truck cooming with the FWC in the bed, the fact that it all mathematically adds up according to the truck and FWC's data, then applying basic 80/20 principles to the decision - voila' I bought an F150. I did trade in a fairly new Tacoma due to the numbers not adding up for me personally when it came to payload and camper weight, but there are sure alot of guys running that combo that seem very pleased.

Really curious about the brakes thing if someone could take a stab at that using actual specs and explaining what it means.

#27 camper357

camper357

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

I have pored over the specs on Fords pdf's and unless I am not understanding brake techinal speak I see very little differences. In fact, the 2012 F150 now has a slide in camper approved package that has a pretty large payload - an increase of well over 400 pounds comparing the same trucks side by side. No brake enhancements. Also, if you look at the 2012 F250 and a 2012 F150 I am probably not understanding what I am reading - but I don't see anything that says "bigger brakes". If someone cares to look and can explain it in layman's terms using the actual specs I would be grateful.

FWIW my 2011 F150 with max trailer tow package in the 6.5 bed supercrew has an available payload according to the door of 1690 lbs. My Hawk shell data sticker says it weighs 585 lbs with propane (I have the furnace). After my wife and I and two dogs are in the truck we still have over 700 pounds of payload capacity to spare. We did add airbags and E rated BFG AT's and are mindful that we have a load. With perhaps 20% of the lifetime miles of the truck cooming with the FWC in the bed, the fact that it all mathematically adds up according to the truck and FWC's data, then applying basic 80/20 principles to the decision - voila' I bought an F150. I did trade in a fairly new Tacoma due to the numbers not adding up for me personally when it came to payload and camper weight, but there are sure alot of guys running that combo that seem very pleased.

Really curious about the brakes thing if someone could take a stab at that using actual specs and explaining what it means.

#28 camper357

camper357

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

The brakes guys is trying to compare his undersized half ton (2000 tundra) to his over-sized f250. Apparently he has not looked at half-tons since 2000 since he thinks a f150 does not have the brakes to haul a 1500 pound camper. Yes an f250 will haul it better and more safely, but a f550 would will haul it more safely, so maybe you need one of those instead. Yes a 2000 tundra is an undersized half ton with a cheap interior and lots of road noise, I would not make it my daily driver either or trust it to haul a 1500 pound camper. The brakes guy needs to go drive a new tundra or f150 and then come back and tell us how nice his f250 rides in comparison.

#29 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

Very true, even the new Tundras are completely different and updated. And calling a f150 with the Ecoboost engine under powered is funny to me 365 hp with almost 10,000 lb towing ability. I have never owned a Ford period but I'm taking a serious look at the new f150 they are pretty nice. Now I know everyone has an opinion but if you think an f250 or any other heavy duty diesel truck rides nicer then the new f150 I doubt you have test driven it yet.

The brakes guys is trying to compare his undersized half ton (2000 tundra) to his over-sized f250. Apparently he has not looked at half-tons since 2000 since he thinks a f150 does not have the brakes to haul a 1500 pound camper. Yes an f250 will haul it better and more safely, but a f550 would will haul it more safely, so maybe you need one of those instead. Yes a 2000 tundra is an undersized half ton with a cheap interior and lots of road noise, I would not make it my daily driver either or trust it to haul a 1500 pound camper. The brakes guy needs to go drive a new tundra or f150 and then come back and tell us how nice his f250 rides in comparison.

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#30 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

They added large brakes on the 2010 model F150s. I drove 22,000km with my overloaded truck pulling a 3500lb trailer this summer. Up the Alaska highway and the Top of the World and across the lower 48. Took it to the dealer when I got settled and my brakes still had 80%. I couldn't believe it. My 2003 F150 used to burn through them every year, with no camper or trailer. I was very surprised that with all the dirt and mud I didn't need new pads. My motorcycle brakes were shot after 1500km of mud.

Not arguing against the larger trucks, but in my limited experience with a crazy load for a half-ton, they held up. Trailer brakes would have been nice. But now when I have just the camper on (no trailer) I pretty much feel I can stop on a dime.

More food for thought.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users