• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

[Cross reference placeholder for the excellent subject matter in this thread started by MarkBC.]

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for starting this, M.W.I, and thanks to Desert Rancher for suggesting it.
Though it wasn't my intent when I started the thread, I'm glad my "Incident" seeded such a rich discussion -- I learned a few things from it! :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

Let please keep subject to "what works - past experiences and most importantly - procedure and product recommendations" in a summary. Not a big story (although that is what intrigues/inspires us!)....

Agreed?
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#4 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Let please keep subject to "what works - past experiences and most importantly - procedure and product recommendations" in a summary. Not a big story (although that is what intrigues/inspires us!)....

Agreed?

+1

#5 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

A hi-lift jack is just about the best tool you can have. It is a jack and a winch.
You need to be able to use it. Good jack points. Stock bumpers may not work. Soft ground requires a platform or the jack will sink. I (and many of us) carry some 2x6's for leveling.
In really soft sand/mud, your spare can be used very effectively, however if your are buried up to the rear axle, it will be hard to get to (unless mounted elsewhere). If you are looking at / going into a bad situation, pull that spare while you can!

Bust a bead while you are stuck and you really will be. You can re-seat a tire but it is not easy (done that).

Also a good strap and frame mounted attachment points.

For those who posted previously, please condense and re-post, OK.

What else?
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

What's a good length? Is 20 feet long-enough for most situations?
Or is 30 feet standard?

Mark different folks have different preferences. Personally I carry a 3" 30' strap. Others like the 20' ones, I like the extra reach and you can usually double over the strap to 15' if it's too long. I like the extra capacity of a 3" strap, esp. as it gets some wear. 2" straps are good as well but you need to be more diligent about replacing them sooner if they're getting used. I've seen a lot more 2" straps bust as opposed to 3", but based on your limited use it probably doesn't really matter.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

I carry something similar to this http://www.google.co...ved=0CGUQ8wIwAQ
in the Jeep. Comes with a carry case too. Truck has a 30'x3" strap. I also have shackles and hooks but needless to say those can be extremely hazardous used improperly.

I know wanderthewesters have more common sense than most but I'll add for the lurkers, keep bystanders away. Well away.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:35 AM

Mark different folks have different preferences. Personally I carry a 3" 30' strap. Others like the 20' ones, I like the extra reach and you can usually double over the strap to 15' if it's too long. I like the extra capacity of a 3" strap, esp. as it gets some wear. 2" straps are good as well but you need to be more diligent about replacing them sooner if they're getting used. I've seen a lot more 2" straps bust as opposed to 3", but based on your limited use it probably doesn't really matter.

Never- never stand directly behind a handy man (hi-lift) jack as you jack the truck up!!!!! Jack it up from the side. Are we really going to tell stories about what to do and not do out there; sounds like fun, lot's of safety tips and helps that were started by "the Battle Creek" story. Really should figure away to put that data out there for the masses! Maybe a good thing for Stan to do for FWC! Did never trust a strap for pulling used the chain (cept for jerking a rig out) , but there is start-tall stories and how to live!!

:rolleyes: Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:56 AM

Ah not sure why you're quoting me there... :huh:

As for pulling with a chain, unless it's a slow/steady application of force I would never use one. So to me that is limited to winching, never for pulling a vehicle out. Plus way to much weight for a reasonable length/thickness verse a strap.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#10 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:27 AM

Great thread. I will be monitoring hoping to learn as much as I can. I have little experience with the Hi - Lift. I did come across this article recently. It looks as thought there is a lot of great info on how and when to use the Hi Lift. http://www.expeditio...all-trades.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users