• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

My Kit

Posted Image

+ 2 - 3/4" x 12 x 12 7 - ply SYP pads
+ 1 D - handle spade
+ 1 Maasdam "3 ton" power pull (3/16 cable)
+ 16' X 3/8" Grade 70 chain
+ 1 12 - ton hydraulic jack
+ 48" hi - lift

Everything except the plywood and shovel are leftovers from my dairy farming / woodsman days. Back then, I didn't think much about how dangerous the situation was -- we just did what we "had to" to make a buck.

Not shown are my 12V air compressor and tire deflators.

Up until this recent discussion I thought I was "OK", since I've used the winch, chain, hi-lift on tractors and bigger trucks.

Wishful thinking?

What else should I carry (do you think)?

#22 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:18 AM

I suggest only using slings/straps/chains rated with a "Working Load Limit" and not a "Rated Capacity." The Working Load Limit is what the manufacturer has rated a strap, etc. to be able to safely withstand. The Rated Capacity is also known as the Breaking Capacity - something I don't want to test. I think all new straps, clevises, etc. are rated with their WLL.

When using devices with hooks (i.e. winches and come-a-longs) the hooks should be "Positive Locking Hooks" which have some kind of gate to prevent a strap from falling off the hook. Also, the load on a hook should be applied to the crook of the hook (the bottom of the U-shape of the hook), and not the point of the hook, which may be 1/5th as stong as the crook of the hook. When a strap or chain is properly attached to a hook with a Positive Lock it is not possible to mistakenly put the load on the point of the hook.

When pulling at an angle to the direction the stuck vehicle will move, the actual load on the strap tow rigging will increase significantly. For example, if the stuck vehicle needs to move north, and the pulling point is located 45 degrees off of north, say north-west, then the force applied to the tow strap and all the tow points will be about 1.5 times the force needed to move the vehicle.

Finally, avoid using a trailer hitch ball as a location for pulling because the tow strap can easily slip up and off the trailer hitch.

#23 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:02 AM

Throw in a can of WD-40, CRC, or your favorite flavor of spray on lube in your stuff box. The pins on Hi-Lifts tend to get really dry regardless of how they're stored unless they're used real regularly. When dry they tend not to cycle correctly. A little lube works wonders on them. In a pinch I've even used water and snow on the pin mechanism. Made it work just fine.

If you don't have one get one, they really are a handy thing. Like a lot of time honored technology there is an art to using one, so if you're not familiar with one there are probably a dozen examples of how to use one, both good and bad on YouTube. Keep in mind they were designed to do a job, not be fool proof.

Happy un-stucking!!!...

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#24 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:25 AM

To keep our tree hugger friends happy remember to use a tree-saver strap when using a tree as a winch anchor point.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#25 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

"Static" and "Dynamic" may not be effective communicators, but they are the correct terms. In this application the difference is whether there is a difference in speed between the two vehicles. If you're towing then it's a "Static" pull. If you're using Inertia to unstuck someone then it's a "Dynamic" pull.

Hooks on straps are bad, bad, bad. Quality straps, of either type, do not have hooks on them. Use quality shackles for all rigging connections.
To avoid any confusion I think that the strap should be the dynamic unsticker, and a heavy rope or line should be the towing device. Then it's easy to ID which is which, whether in a "time-valued" situation or not. For years my tow line was a 30' double eyelet spliced 5/8" polypro mooring line, complete with old fire hose abrasion protection sleeves from it's previous life as a mooring line from an Islander 41. I recycled it when I sold the 'glass buggy as I didn't trust it with heavier rigs.

In a cable come-along there really doesn't seem to be anything between the Black Rat and the cheapie HF/Northern Tool units. If you happen to know someone in the CSU, Chico ME & Mfg College you might get them to make you a second Hoist/Winch during their ITEC 51 class. It's what I use.

I took apart my 60" HiLift and "blue-printed" it, then applied a dry film lube. Made it work better, but it's still wonky. I try to use motorcycle aerosol chain wax on such things since it doesn't gather grit and dirt.

Shepard's "Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide" has 14 pages of text and pictures just on this topic. There has been a lot written on the topic, but I would be wary of any magazine articles until cross-checked with other sources.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#26 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

Finally, avoid using a trailer hitch ball as a location for pulling because the tow strap can easily slip up and off the trailer hitch.

And/or rip the ball off and create a perfect projectile to kill someone.

I use straps and big shackles almost exclusively. I avoid chains unless I need to create an anchor point on a vehicle to hook onto. And I avoid using my winch on another vehicle unless it is the last option.

Getting unstuck safely is one time where over thinking it, over engineering it, over preparing can really pay off. STOP, THINK, THINK, THINK, then act. Unless your vehicle is actively rolling over or sinking in quicksand, washing away in a river - taking 10 more minutes to do it safely usually isn't a big deal.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#27 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

'Link' to trucker supplies: http://www.uscargocontrol.com/

Beau-coup straps hardware and info. Cheap.

#28 JohnF

JohnF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThornton CO

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

"Static" and "Dynamic" may not be effective communicators, but they are the correct terms.

I agree and I agree. I know what these terms mean. You are giving advice in a situation where someone will be doing an activity that could put their life at risk, do you feel comfortable using correct terms that may not be effective communicators?

In this application the difference is whether there is a difference in speed between the two vehicles. If you're towing then it's a "Static" pull. If you're using Inertia to unstuck someone then it's a "Dynamic" pull.

I like what you do here, we should expand it and include common vernacular:

Towing: static
Snatching: dynamic
Winching: static
Hoisting: static

For static use rigging that does not stretch (store energy) like chain or synthetic winch cable. For snatching use a strap that is design for it. Wire rope has no use anymore in these applications (although I concur that it is more abrasion resistant).

Use quality shackles for all rigging connections.

Doggone it. In my previous post I said clevis and I meant shackle. I totally agree with this. I don't even have a hook on my ATV winch.

#29 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

I know what these terms mean. You are giving advice in a situation where someone will be doing an activity that could put their life at risk, do you feel comfortable using correct terms that may not be effective communicators?

These really aren't unusual words or technical jargon, are they?: Dynamic means "changing" and static means "not changing" in general English usage (in this case, applied to force or speed) -- they're not words specific to vehicle recovery/tools. What could be more 'effective communication' than using the correct words correctly?

Regarding "put their life at risk": I believe that people should take personal responsibility for their own safety.
It will be a said day for WTW if we have to fear that someone will misunderstand what we post and end up claiming, "Well, a guy on a forum told me to do it this way, and then it broke and my baby got hurt...and it's not my fault!"

Please, let's not go there.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#30 JohnF

JohnF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThornton CO

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

Wow, okay...

These really aren't unusual words or technical jargon, are they?

They are very specific.

Dynamic means "changing" and static means "not changing" in general English usage (in this case, applied to force or speed) -- they're not words specific to vehicle recovery/tools.

But what is changing? We can't say force or speed because these change in the towing scenario. The tow vehicle applies force to the towed vehicle to affect its speed. Force and speed changed yet it is a static pull.

It comes to frame of reference and not everyone sees this.

What could be more 'effective communication' than using the correct words correctly?

Any semantic that expresses an idea completely. Incorrect words used incorrectly can be effective communication.

Regarding "put their life at risk": ...
Please, let's not go there.

I could give a rats azz about what someone would claim. I would die inside if I knew someone got hurt performing an activity I describe exactly and precisely with the correct words used correctly but was misunderstood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users