• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#11 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:01 AM

Got my BFG A/Ts siped at America's Tires for $46. I haven't had them on ice yet, but over the years I have been satisfied with siping.

#12 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:16 AM

I have a pair of BFG AT that I now have over 50k on, and I really like them. That being said, they are not amazing in snow and they are somewhat poor on glare ice. And we have snow and ice on the roads about 6 months of the year. But mine do have the snowflake emblem.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#13 JohnF

JohnF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThornton CO

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:41 AM

... are not rated for "severe snow" (275/65-18's)...??
... chime in regarding the "winter snowflake" rating most tires apparently carry (except mine :-()

Thanks!

I find this interesting. I can imagine rubber compounds making a difference between lines of tires but wouldn't imagine a manufacturer would use different compounds in sizes in the same line. I too wonder.

I have the Bridgstone Revos. Traction is pretty good - I have chained up in really slick mud when towing the boat. They are "wandery" on the highway which I found out was a common gripe after I bought them. I probably won't look at these next time.

Back in my younger 4wheeling days a buddy of mine shod his stead with ATs. That truck had problems on uphills when they were snowy/icy which sort of matches your experience. We would get stuck in bowls - could drive around, just couldn't get out. I can't give a differential due having nothing to compare to.

I have had car tires siped and can't say whether it made a difference. I would be of the opinion that if you want snow tire then buy snow tires. It just seems that a tire engineer would have siped it if he thought it was appropriate.

And I bet siping from one tire tech to the next is very variable...

#14 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:00 AM

I have not, just spoke to a tire dealer who said I could give it a shot - he said I would have about a 60% chance of being completely satisfied. For $120 it seems a whole lot cheaper than new tires. However I don't like the idea of riding around slipping and sliding.

DD, have you had good luck siping tires in the past, or does anyone have experience with that?

That is REALLY expensive for sniping 4 tires.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#15 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:38 AM

My tire guy suggest not buying the BFG A/T KO because of the price. He suggested I get Hankook DyaPro ATM. I have been very happy with them. The tires work great in cold/wet/snow. Off road (sand/gravel/mud) they seem pretty good. One thing I noticed was the small amount of balancing required. The tire guy says they are true and round unlike some other premium tires. My only complaint is they are getting noisier as they wear.

#16 PHXtaco

PHXtaco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationRohnert Park CA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:04 AM

After digging a little it turns out my size tires are not rated for "severe snow" (275/65-18's)...?? They are one of the few sizes that it is noted don't carry that designation. Ugh. Could it really make that much difference?

Yes it can. I have run both the C rated BFG AT KOs and the E rated BFG AT KOs on my truck (the tires were the approximately the same width), and I can say that I noticed a big difference between the two and really miss the C rated tires on the ice and snow. I won’t be running the E rated BFGs again as I do not need that level of load carrying ability.

#17 2wiresDave

2wiresDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMr Rodgers Neighborhood

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

Well, live and learn guys. After some interweb scouring it seems that a complaint of the NON winter rated BFG's is that they pretty much suck below 40 degrees due to the rubber compound being quite a bit harder. Apparently they are not even truly the same tread design entirely....Some folks have contacted BFG and the resultant returned emails from corporate confirm that the darn little snowflake eblem is important.

I will move on to a different set of tires, as I am not waiting 50k to replace something that is this scary to drive. Thanks for all the replies!

#18 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

Well, live and learn guys. After some interweb scouring it seems that a complaint of the NON winter rated BFG's is that they pretty much suck below 40 degrees due to the rubber compound being quite a bit harder. Apparently they are not even truly the same tread design entirely....Some folks have contacted BFG and the resultant returned emails from corporate confirm that the darn little snowflake eblem is important.

I will move on to a different set of tires, as I am not waiting 50k to replace something that is this scary to drive. Thanks for all the replies!

Very disappointing for you. Good luck searching.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#19 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

the darn little snowflake eblem is important.

Gosh, I went out there and looked to see the snowflake emblem on my BFG's. It's there!
Thank goodness, or I might have to think my tires don't grip the snow. ;)

In truth, I've been pleased with my set and have had them through one rather snowy winter so far. I'm sure there's other choices that are as good or better. I recently met a guy who was raving about some new kevlar sidewall tires he's going to buy, but I don't recall the mfg.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#20 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

I'm going to have to do some research on this...as my truck tires are worn. Posted Image I'd been debating this fall whether they have enough tread for this snow season or whether I can get through until spring. They're not worn-out, but tread-depth isn't optimum for deep/soft-snow traction. Why wait? Because I'm thrifty. Posted Image
I learned last week that they may not have enough tread for mud-ice traction Posted Image (although, as The Rancher commented, "For what they want for 'em these days you gotta get all the mileage you can out of 'em" -- yep, that's my philosophy, too...so I guess I have more in common with that guy than I thought. ;))

I'm most-interested in a tire that provides long mileage/longevity and average (not exceptional) traction in soft surfaces. To be precise, what I'm looking for is long mileage for the money, i.e., I'd pay twice as much if they lasted twice as long. And Load Range E, of course.

There must be other "Tires" threads here, too...I'll search.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users