• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

I'm going to have to do some research on this...as my truck tires are worn. Posted Image I'd been debating this fall whether they have enough tread for this snow season or whether I can get through until spring. They're not worn-out, but tread-depth isn't optimum for deep/soft-snow traction. Why wait? Because I'm thrifty. Posted Image
I learned last week that they may not have enough tread for mud-ice traction Posted Image (although, as The Rancher commented, "For what they want for 'em these days you gotta get all the mileage you can out of 'em" -- yep, that's my philosophy, too...so I guess I have more in common with that guy than I thought. ;))

I'm most-interested in a tire that provides long mileage/longevity and average (not exceptional) traction in soft surfaces. To be precise, what I'm looking for is long mileage for the money, i.e., I'd pay twice as much if they lasted twice as long. And Load Range E, of course.

There must be other "Tires" threads here, too...I'll search.

If you are looking for a long wearing tire that is good on dirt roads the BFG AT is the ticket.

Look over the survey results on tirerack.com, I have found it a good tool for research.

I was going over the same thing with my current tires feeling a little worn for the long winter season we have here. But then I decided to buy a set of snow tires, so I bought a used set of rims on ebay. And next summer I will put back on my trusty AT's and get many more miles out of them.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#22 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

If you are looking for a long wearing tire that is good on dirt roads the BFG AT is the ticket.

Thanks, OH. :)
So, even though they're not "amazing" on snow...I take it you're not "disappointed" (ala this thread title) in general?
I'd assume that if these tires were even barely tolerable for winter where you live that they'd be fine where I live -- for my purposes, anyway.

I only drive my truck for two purposes: 1) Going camping (95% of it's use), though that includes winter, and 2) Negotiating deep snow in town (especially my driveway) that's too deep for my car. My car has studded snow tires in winter (great on ice), so I drive it around town and on highway non-camping trips except when the roads haven't been plowed.

I'd love to get 50,000 miles out of a set of tires! Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#23 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

Thanks, OH. :)
So, even though they're not "amazing" on snow...I take it you're not "disappointed" (ala this thread title) in general?
I'd assume that if these tires were even barely tolerable for winter where you live that they'd be fine where I live -- for my purposes, anyway.

I only drive my truck for two purposes: 1) Going camping (95% of it's use), though that includes winter, and 2) Negotiating deep snow in town (especially my driveway) that's too deep for my car. My car has studded snow tires in winter (great on ice), so I drive it around town and on highway non-camping trips except when the roads haven't been plowed.

I'd love to get 50,000 miles out of a set of tires! Posted Image

Not disappointed in them at all, in fact I have another set of 4 in storage for when these finally wear out. They have seen hundreds of miles of ice, crossed the country many times, gotten me into and then out of some crazy mud in Escalante. Their road manors are good and they do not have a major effect on MPG. And I think it is common to get 40-60k out of them.

They are good in snow, but they are not a snow tire.

(It was looking like I was going to be commuting 14,000 miles this winter on a road that is all packed snow and ice, and that is when I bought the snow tires.)
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#24 2wiresDave

2wiresDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMr Rodgers Neighborhood

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

I have a pair of BFG AT that I now have over 50k on, and I really like them. That being said, they are not amazing in snow and they are somewhat poor on glare ice. And we have snow and ice on the roads about 6 months of the year. But mine do have the snowflake emblem.

And this is I believe the main issue with my tires. I don't think you can throw ALL BFG AT's under the bus. But if you live in Wisconsin etc, and see lots of snow/ice/sleet etc you are going to want the winter rated tire. So far everyone that loves there BFG AT's it seems has the winter rating or maybe lives where this isn't much snow.

I would hate to see someone buy these tires without the winter rating (it is only a few sizes) because they are rated so highly - which is how I ended up with a set. Felt I pretty much couldn't go wrong - $1000 mistake. I think the tires are probably everything they are cracked up to for most people, most of the time - but no snowflake = bad news for us in snow country.

#25 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:32 AM

I would hate to see someone buy these tires without the winter rating (it is only a few sizes) because they are rated so highly - which is how I ended up with a set. ... I think the tires are probably everything they are cracked up to for most people, most of the time - but no snowflake = bad news for us in snow country.

I'll make sure I see the flake before I buy. :)

#26 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

After digging a little it turns out my size tires are not rated for "severe snow" (275/65-18's)...?? They are one of the few sizes that it is noted don't carry that designation.

So...I was looking at these tires on tirerack.com, and looking at the same size as my current Goodyear Wranglers, 265/75/16. What I found is pretty surprising/confusing.
It seems that the white-letter version is rated for severe snow but the blackwall version is not. Huh? Posted Image
The speed rating is also different.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T-A KO owl.png

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T-A KO bw.png

If it was my tire company I'd give a different name or sub-name to tires that are the same size but that different.

I don't like the white-letter bs showing...so I usually have them mounted inside out anyway.

#27 PHXtaco

PHXtaco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationRohnert Park CA

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

No, I am pretty sure that is an omission on Tirerack.com's website. Neither tire is rated for "severe snow"

On BFG's website is states all E load rated tires are not rated "severe snow"

http://www.bfgoodric...in-t-a-ko-tires
Well dang, BFG changed their website and while they have a notation at the bottom of the page, none of the tire sizes have an astrix to identify them... But I swear all E rated tires were not severe snow rated when I looked into buying the same tire size you have.

Ah, go to:

http://www.discountt...ail.do?pc=38012

and it has:
"This tire bears the Severe Service Emblem denoting that it is suitable for use in severe winter conditions (excluding E-load range sizes). Tires bearing this symbol will provide better winter performance than tires only bearing the M+S rating."

#28 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:51 AM

No, I am pretty sure that is an omission on Tirerack.com's website. Neither tire is rated for "severe snow"

On BFG's website is states all E load rated tires are not rated "severe snow"

Yeah, I saw that same thing...which is odd, since E range is what most anyone gets on a full-size truck..at least, if it has a camper....don't they?

So the guys on this thread who have the snowflake on their BFG AT's don't have E tires then? Or has BFG changed their rating since their tires were purchased?

Overland Hadley, Dirty Dog, what's the story with yours?

#29 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

I purchased 2 BFG ATs from Costco this summer and was confused when their website showed 2 choices for 265/75R16Es. They seemed identical except for the speed rating - Q vs S. The prices were also slightly different. I went for the cheaper S rated tire.

As a result of this thread I went out today and checked the sidewalls. My old Q rated tires are M&S while the new S rated tires have the snowflake. You learn something new every day. I still don't know why the S rated snowflake tires were cheaper.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#30 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the new info, Camelracer.
Well...I planned to look at the sidewalls on these tires myself before I give them the go-ahead to have them installed...
But it's weird that the website so explicitly says that E range isn't for "severe snow". :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users