13 replies to this topic

#1 brp

brp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

I have an ATC Bobcat in my short box Tacoma. With the tailgate down, the end of the bed and the end of the camper are about even. In the interest of weight savings, especially weight that is way out behind the rear axle, I thought I would remove the tailgate when I have the camper on. My question is if there is any reason not to do this?

My concerns are that the bottom of the camper can't take the "exposure" or that the camper is not strong enough to take the weight of a person standing on an unsupported section.

I think it would work out just fine, but I'd like to hear what you all have to share.

Thanks.

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:43 AM

Is the end of the camper even with the end of the bed or the end of the tailgate? If it's even with the end of the bed, how is the bottom of the camper exposed or unsupported?
Or do you mean that the camper sticks out quite a bit, so with the tailgate on and down it supports/protects the part that sticks out?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 brp

brp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

The length of the floor of the camper is equal to the length of the bed plus the length/height of the tailgate. So, if I removed the tailgate, the last 14 inches or so of the camper would be hanging/floating unsupported.

After I posted this I read the CGVWR article on Expedition Portal and it really hammered home that weight which is far behind the rear axle or far in front of the front axle is bad.

The tailgate has got to weigh at least 50 lbs, and I could see it being a lot more. If I ditch the tailgate and my 4 camper jacks, I could be around -200lbs, that is a significant amount of weight.

Thanks again

#4 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

My .02: The tailgate doesn't weigh that much, maybe 30#. Take the jacks off. Not only do they add weight, they will really do a number on your camper if you snag one while traveling. It sounds like leaving the tailgate on is not a bad idea as it will support the tail of the camper and not get in your way.. When all else fails, ask the folks at ATC as they are the experts.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#5 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

I just visited both FWC and ATC web sites and in their question and answer sections they recommend leaving the tailgate on. I would leave it on. https://www.allterra...rs.com/faqs.htm
FWC link

A couple of other points which may or may not concern you:

You may not be able to access your spare with a long camper/short bed truck.
(Newer trucks with the winch access)

With the tailgate down it may get gravel/sand blasted.

Ditto on removing the jacks.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#6 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

I have a 2001 Tacoma with the same camper set up as you do. I leave the tailgate on and use it as a front porch (I velcroed a carpet over it). Although, I weigh about 145 lbs. In regard to the spare, you need to make a smaller access tool as you cannot access the spare with the tailgate down with the standard long jack tool. I used a small socket which fits over a cut short jack tool that I welded on. I then turn it with a short ratchet if that makes sense. You have to access the spare from under the rear of the truck. I'm not that tall so its not so bad for me. I have been running this for a few years mostly camping off road and my tailgate has not sufferred any rock chips.

Darryl

I just visited both FWC and ATC web sites and in their question and answer sections they recommend leaving the tailgate on. I would leave it on. https://www.allterra...rs.com/faqs.htm
FWC link

A couple of other points which may or may not concern you:

You may not be able to access your spare with a long camper/short bed truck.
(Newer trucks with the winch access)

With the tailgate down it may get gravel/sand blasted.

Ditto on removing the jacks.

ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#7 brp

brp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

Here is what Marty at ATC said:

"Your truck bed is so short that you should not remove your tail gate. However it is your call. Your truck should hold the weight of your camper. The tail gate is helping hold the weight off the truck bed. Marty"

Honestly, I don't really understand what that means. However, he is clearly suggesting to leave it on.

Darryla, I can't use mine as a porch because it does not hang out any further than the camper, there is no surface that I could sit/stand on.

I have put about 1500 miles on my camper with the tailgate down, and over lots of dirt roads, and I also don't have any rock chips. I would guess the large, rigid, mud flaps on Tacomas are the reason why. That problem seems like it would likely occur if you had small/no mud flaps on the rear wheels.

Thanks for all of the replies.

#8 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

I have a 2005 Tacoma and an old FWC Fleet. I leave the tailgate on to have a rear deck. I attach an aluminum diamond plate deck to the tailgate to extend the deck slightly and give storage space. It has never had damage from rocks or gravel. So far I have not had any departure angle problems either. It adds little weight to the tailgate and is very useful. I will try to attach a photo.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0493.jpg

#9 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

I have a 2009 Toyo-TRD access cab with an older Palomino pop-top. The camper extends past end of bed about 14 inches. My concerns were that the tailgate was really not designed to take the weight of the camper, along with access to spare and possible damage to tailgate from rocks or a steep gully crossing dragging the very end of truck. This was compounded by Toyota's brilliance of changing beds to composite which I worry would eventually weaken and crack with loads not evenly distributed.

My solution was a sheet of 1 1/8" plywood cut to fit my bed shape very closely. The 2-4-1 plywood is very strong (7 ply. and originally designed for floor joist spans of up to 48") and can handle the cantilever after I remove the tailgate. So, there is no direct pressure points loading the composite bed, camper is support fully all the way to last bottom skid on camper's bottom. Helps with my cab clearance also... I still have access to my direct-to-frame connection points for securing camper to rig.

Still looking for ideas for an easy step/stair system that will adapt to varying height terrain??? But there is probably a thread for that here somewhere.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

The only way they could put my Gramby on my 99 1/2 f150 was with the tail gate down---remember the thread I posted last month about air bags, new rear springs and whether to get a new truck or not? If you put something on a truck that may or not fit it, it leads to lots of other problems to keep things safe and running as they should. Sure like my new rear springs and "acting 3/4 ton" F150, but a long bed one or a F250, would have saved a few bad bumps and bangs these last few years!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users