7 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

I've never heard of this group, but it sounds similar to what Nature Conservancy does:

The Wilderness Land Trust Completes First Acquistion in Nevada
Jan. 17, 2012

I saw this news on the Friends of Nevada Wilderness Facebook page.
Sounds to me like a good thing.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

I hope its a good deal. There have been issues with some of these land trusts where they sell the land to the government for more than the agency could have purchased it on its own. I'm also a little bit confused by the wording. Was this land already protected?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:47 AM

<snip>
Sounds to me like a good thing.

It is a very good thing. Thanks for posting.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

Sounds like this was a great addition to the wilderness. Hope to visit sometime in 2012.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

I hope its a good deal. There have been issues with some of these land trusts where they sell the land to the government for more than the agency could have purchased it on its own. I'm also a little bit confused by the wording. Was this land already protected?

From the maps, the land looks like a private inholding that the Trust bought.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#6 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

From the maps, the land looks like a private inholding that the Trust bought.

Yep-there was a hunk of private in there, surrounded by BLM, years ago (before the NCA designation) the owner wanted to put a road in, to do his mining claim-a short fight and it didn't happen. Most of the area is protected and I spent allot of years working in there, lots of great country, remember how high the grass got after we got the cows/sheep out! I always liked Yellow Rock Canyon/Conlon Camp area the best with all the wagon ruts and great views. Took years to deal with the horse problem at the springs though. Spent some good times in that line shack:lol: don't know if it is still open to the public, should be though, BLM was working with a local group that adopted it-Since I retired, have not kept up with goings on over there. I wonder if they got Hanging Rock Canyon too, now there was a place and nice fishing creek on pvt land between all that public land-we also had a chance to pick that up in the late 1970's-but for some reason didn't :angry:! The BLM/FS does allot of work with these various pvt lands groups-usually they can get a better deal on in holdings and such and then deed it over to the Gov't. It really takes along time to get these area protected, minerals and grazing interests usually take priority over other interests. Take High Rock for instance, even though the minerals part was signed off over 20 years ago, and most user groups were on board, it still took years to get the area made an NCA. Just before I retired, had a group in the area that was trying to buy out all the grazing leases adj. to the Smoke Creek Desert-great high country, so the Big Horn Sheep would be better protected-don't know what happened. But that's the way to go, give the ranchers a chance to sell off and still survive, and work with the BLM and the wildlife and other groups and we have places to go and see our public lands (as they heal)

Smoke!
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Yep-there was a hunk of private in there, surrounded by BLM, years ago (before the NCA designation) the owner wanted to put a road in, to do his mining claim-a short fight and it didn't happen. Most of the area is protected and I spent allot of years working in there, lots of great country, remember how high the grass got after we got the cows/sheep out!...........Smoke!

Great stuff, Smoke!
It's really cool to get your "inside the BLM" story on this and similar stuff of the area. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

Great stuff, Smoke!
It's really cool to get your "inside the BLM" story on this and similar stuff of the area. :)

Thanks!-I almost feel like "a know it all" when I get carried away and give all this back ground stuff:P, so its good to know that some of you care about the history behind those names on the map! I guess most of us do care about it or we wouldn't be reading these posts and enjoying all that beautiful countryB)! Let it snow let it snow let it snow:lol:!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users