15 replies to this topic

#11 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

...having a separate app for each forum is really annoying...

I'm opposed to the "appification" of the web in general (not just forums) -- having a separate app for each website. Posted Image
(this post is my personal opinion, not as a Site Team member)
This practice started with the iPhone, partly because they chose to not support Flash, so a dedicated app was needed to access the features of many modern web sites. And gradually businesses started feeling like they needed to have an "app", too, to meet the expectations of their customers -- even if they already had a mobile-browser-friendly version of their site.
A website that recognizes mobile browsers and delivers content in the appropriate format (by "style" or by redirecting to their mobile site) is all that's really needed. I'm a member of a local non-profit organization, and our website (built on Wordpress) automatically delivers the mobile version when I access the site with my smartphone; it can't be that hard to implement.

To me, having a different app for each website you view is like having a different car for each place you drive: "This is my atm car, and this is my haircut car, and this is my coffee-shop car..." You end up needing a really big garage. Posted Image

Still...I will install the WTW Android app when it's available.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#12 valkraider

valkraider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Ironically, it looks like the mobile theme of this site ("IP Board Low Fi") doesn't have the advertisements either so when I use it from my iPhone, I get no ads anyway. So Tapatalk would be no different from an ad revenue perspective..
The "IP Board Lo-Fi" mobile template is lightweight and gets rid of a lot of the extra cruft. However, it is not a good iPhone layout, and I am not sure if this forum software has built in native iPhone or Android interfaces (like wordpress does).

My company does this for our apps. We make iPhone and iPad and Android versions of everything we do. It isn't that hard anymore - almost every web platform supports the layouts pretty automatically. Things like vBulletin, PHPBB, and other forum software do as well, as far as I know (without looking it up).

Here are my complaints about how this forum works on iPhone (and why I would prefer Tapatalk):

1. Cannot upload images in a post. When I am out and about, I would like to be able to post images.
2. Text is too small and has no "awareness" of the size of my screen. This means LOTS of zooming/scrolling just to use the site.
3. It is hard to save login credentials across sessions. The remember-me function just uses cookies, which breaks if cookies are deleted.

I agree with your opinion of "appification" as well: we have an app Tapatalk which is used by over 30,000 forums, is supported by all the major forum platforms, and is easy to set up and use.

Yet some sites insist on doing it their own way (not just this one - the official BMW and Triumph motorcycle forums built their own apps too). This means WTW ownership will incur technical overhead to develop and support an app that they could have had for free (probably off-setting any gains in ad revenue - especially considering things like ad blocking and whatnot already eat into ad revenue as it is).

Tapatalk even covers the ad-revenue question in their FAQ:

Q: Will I lose revenue from my current web properties?

A: Tapatalk app is an optional service to your members - it drives more engagement and participation to your forum. While you may lose some pageviews up-front, in a long run you will have a more engaging forum as people are free to post new content on-the-go. Though we also have Link Affiliation (Powered by VigLink) and Donation (Mobile Payment) integration to help you earn extra revenue.

One single app, that has built in support for the 8 most common forum platforms (and more), requires no development or support, and is used by over THIRTY THOUSAND forums.

I have too many other forums I use that turned on Tapatalk for me to really want to help this one out by downloading yet another disparate forum app...

I get that the new owners (Social Knowlege) are a company that is growing their own list of communities, and that is great. They currently have maybe 20 or so, and claim around 1.7 million registered members. More power to them if they want to write their own app.

It just makes it a pain in the ass.

So with that I will call my input on this topic done, as there is no sense in beating a dead horse so-to-speak.

(Social Knowlege does claim their site members are passionate and subject matter experts - so I guess I fit in to those in some ways, eh?)

#13 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the thorough, well-thought-out comments, valkraider. :)
FWIW, sounds like a great argument to me.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#14 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

Any news? When I type in "wander the west" it prompts me to the Apple App Store as if there is a WTW app but obviously there is not.
2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#15 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:02 AM

Any news? When I type in "wander the west" it prompts me to the Apple App Store as if there is a WTW app but obviously there is not.

That happened to me also the first time I accessed WTW on my Ipad.But then the site went to bookmarks and the app request hasn't returned.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#16 ptySteve

ptySteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:40 AM

Another request for Tapatalk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users