44 replies to this topic

#1 Brewskier

Brewskier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

This is from Kodachromes thread, this is his rig.

Posted Image

That flap that runs from the top of the camper to the front of the windshield... is that to lower wind resistance? I was thinking about this the other day, how the wind will get caught in that gap between the camper and the truck. This seems like a good fix. Can these be bought somewhere and attached, or is it a custom job?

#2 brp

brp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

He made it. There are some people who have fit non-custom fairings in a custom way. Yakima makes a fairing, but it is not very large. Also, some people do something like this

http://www.rv.net/fo.../print/true.cfm

Whatever you do, you want to accomodate any flex so that the parts don't hit each other when flexed on uneven terrain.

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

I'm interested in something like this, too.

I wonder how much difference it makes in fuel-mileage? Posted Image Must be lot's of opinion/info out there on camper-farings, as brp's link suggests.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

Here's a thread that covered some of the wind deflector ideas.

Deflectors

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 brp

brp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

I am in the process of making one. I am only going to spend about $50. With gas prices what they are and going on multiple thousand mile trips, should pay for itself with even a small MPG increase. It also keeps the ride quieter. Some people have the problem of moisture getting under the front edge pop-top when driving hwy speed in the rain, I imagine it would cure that, although I have never had that problem.

I'll post up when it is made. I am using mostly schedule 80 PVC conduit for the frame, I don't have the actual fairing yet.

#6 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'm interested in something like this, too.

I wonder how much difference it makes in fuel-mileage? Posted Image Must be lot's of opinion/info out there on camper-farings, as brp's link suggests.

I don't remember anyone giving a definitive answer on fuel savings with the fairing. I too would be interested in a real comparison.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

I don't remember anyone giving a definitive answer on fuel savings with the fairing. I too would be interested in a real comparison.

A challenge for our scientists? Lets see some numbers. We want to know.

Last month we did a road trip up to Oregon. Drove Interstate 5. Noticed new skirts under the trailers on the big rigs. It looked like it was for wind deflection to increase aerodynamics and increase mileage. We hadn't seen these before.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

Noticed new skirts under the trailers on the big rigs. It looked like it was for wind deflection to increase aerodynamics and increase mileage. We hadn't seen these before.

The rigs with the ''skirts'' have a lot less dirty air behind them. I have first hand knowledge of this because I bike on a road that has semis on it. At one point I read the fuel savings that theses rigs get, it was significant but I have forgot the exact number.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

When I put my camper on my truck the mileage dropped from 14 to 12mpg. Without any real facts or knowledge my gut feel was that this drop was due to increased air drag rather than the increased weight.
This seems like such a basic/obvious question that it must have been answered before, if not on this site then on some truck or other camper site.

I bet one or more of the more truck-y guys on WTW already know...or have a definite opinion, at least. ;)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#10 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

OK, Ski, here's a bit of underlying theory, which you may remember from physics class. I defer to our engineers and truck-y types for the practical application. Also, this is simplistic - Turbulence caused by the gap between camper and cab must play some role which the following doesn't address.

Aerodynamic drag is a force opposing the direction of motion, but we are really more interested in the power it takes to overcome this force. That power (force times velocity) is
Posted Image (Thanks to Wikipedia for providing a cut-and paste formula :))

rho is the fluid (air) density, A is roughly the cross section of truck and camper impacting the air, v is the speed of the truck relative to the air (not the ground, unless the air is still), and Cd is the drag coefficient. Turbulence probably means Cd becomes a function of speed for your particular rig, but considering that is beyond my pay grade. Turbulence is a hairy problem.

What's important here is not so much the values of the different constants, but the fact that the power needed to overcome this drag goes up as the speed cubed. The biggest effect you can make on fuel consumption is to slow down.

Even so, an air dam makes the ride quieter at high speed, and no doubt cuts down on turbulence, so even if it doesn't have a big effect on gas mileage, it may still be worth the cost of adding one. If the semi skirts improve fuel mileage by reducing turbulence, that's a good sign it could help.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users