• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

Just wanted to share this experience. A few months ago, I called RT to inquire about their new product, a camper dolly, to be shortened from the usual 20" height. I was told to email the owner, Bob, to ask about the cost and shipping. I did and was told it would be $100 MORE plus S&H. So I replied asking if that was a firm price given that the height I wanted required less metal than the standard one. I was startled to get the reply email: "It's all rework (labor). You could do it yourself???? Bob". I think this was a totally uncalled for and a rude response to an innocent question- how was I supposed to know it was "all rework (labor)" and not just assembled from less material? I didn't know, it never even occured to me, thats why I asked.

Now, is that any way to treat a potential customer? So, I built that tank of a dolly I posted here and sent him an email this morning informing him that I did, indeed, "do it myself". Why did I post this? Well, most of us use RT jacks and they are good products, but I feel no need to support such an attitude and thought my story might be useful to other customers. Thanks for listening.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#2 Pete D

Pete D

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

Umm, IMHO that was an 'engineer' response, not a 'marketeer' response. He gave you a straightforward explanation of why it cost more and gave you a recommendation for what to do. If he had been a marketeer, he might have given you the same info with sugar-coating and a sales pitch...

EMail is sometimes hard to interpret and it's easy to piss someone off without intending to.

A long time ago, my Dad was talking to a taxi company in NYC about putting Chrysler-Nissan diesel engines in taxis. When they asked Chrysler for a price on new taxis w/o the engines, they quoted $500 more than with, because of the custom order. What the company did was order them with engines and then swapped the new engines for the labor to take them out and install the diesels. Everybody was happy!

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:41 AM

That's no way to treat customers. If the guy doesn't know how to communicate, he shouldn't be dealing with the public. Business 101.

#4 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:51 AM

I can see both sides here but a proper response should have been something like this?

Brett,

While what you are asking for does seem to use less material, we buy our material for the current size that we make. To modify that to a different size takes a couple hours labor to recut and put together. Hence the extra labor charge to make yours a custom size. If you have any more questions or concerns, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely,
Whoever is in charge

Just a few more lines and he probably would have sold a dolly and had a happy customer who would have sold more dollies for him over this forum and out in the real world while traveling around. Instead, he now lost the sale and future sales from that customer.

Of course Brett went out and built a dolly that he can move a small house on if he needs too.:D Never know when the neighbors will need to move.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

Brettmiester,
When I asked them about the dolly a couple of years ago I got "The pictures a prototype we dont have the product in production yet". So I asked when that might be and I got "who knows you just have to keep calling us". So I went to Harbor "Fright" and bought a small utilily trailer. Problem solved. They make a quality product but their customer service sux.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:15 PM

They make a quality product but their customer service sux.

Just a few more lines and he probably would have sold a dolly and had a happy customer who would have sold more dollies for him over this forum and out in the real world while traveling around. Instead, he now lost the sale and future sales from that customer.

Of course Brett went out and built a dolly that he can move a small house on if he needs too.:D Never know when the neighbors will need to move.

Exactly my point. He may have been technically correct, but the 5 question marks is condescending and reeks of insincerity.

I plan to put the whole truck and camper on the dolly for safe storage. Don't want flat spots on the tires, you know.:D

Anyway, I didn't mean to start a debate. I was just trying to share the info in case anyone was interested and probably just vent a little too.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#7 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:11 PM

I plan to put the whole truck and camper on the dolly for safe storage. Don't want flat spots on the tires, you know.

Great idea, forgot about those flat spots on the tires. You may be on to something here.;)
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#8 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:33 PM

Brett,

Thanks for sharing, nothing pisses me off more than crappy customer service. Actualy I have never been impressed with the Reco-Titan jacks on my camper, the finish is horrible and for $500 I expect a work of art.

#9 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

Actualy I have never been impressed with the Reco-Titan jacks on my camper, the finish is horrible and for $500 I expect a work of art.

Of course I have to ask... What brand of camper jacks does ATC/FWC use (for their current models)?

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#10 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:37 AM

Of course I have to ask... What brand of camper jacks does ATC/FWC use (for their current models)?

Mike

Mine are RT as per Ben's suggestion. I think that's what he sells with them.
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users