#11 zanshin

zanshin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationThe Middle (near KC, MO)

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Here's a shot of my wife Kathi enjoying the hell out of having the entire Montauk State Park campground to ourselves in February,

kathi_camper.jpg

...and one from a couple years ago of us up on Sentinel Pass above Paradise Valley at Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada.

ron-kathi_ParadiseValley.jpg

2012 4WC Hawk -- 2010 F-250 Supercrew (6.4L diesel with Cabela's package) and a Ruger C416 gear trailer

#12 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

Gotta figure out if I can post more than 1 at a time; ran into trouble trying on the first post. Every forum on the interweb is different, it seems.

Zanshin, the photo thing is a challenge for many. I found uploading to the WTW gallery to be cumbersome, but what works for me is to insert BBCode from my normal photo hosting site. I use Smugmug, which provides that link. Depending upon where you post your photos, assuming a guy like you does, you may be able to simply point WTW to the images you have there.

BUT, I am not one of the annointed site admins, only a lowly photo oriented WTW member. :D
YMMV

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:59 AM

<snip>
BUT, I am not one of the anointed site admins, only a lowly photo oriented WTW member. :D
YMMV

But you are a very capable and helpful member here - I don't know of any "lowly" members - and we all appreciate everyone helping.

Also, if I got "anointed" I must of missed the ceremony. I hope it was fun! :rolleyes:

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:10 AM

Also, if I got "anointed" I must of missed the ceremony. I hope it was fun! :rolleyes:

:lol:

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#15 HoppyToGoWandering

HoppyToGoWandering

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:17 PM

Hoo Rah! I'm a newbie too and like you I got tired of sleeping in or on a M113A2 or in my HMMVW. So, in otherwords, I can relate! 

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

#16 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:58 PM

Welcome to the site.

There is a lot of info available here.

Ask a lot of questions and someone will

provide an answer.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#17 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:35 PM

Hi,
I'm in MO.  Been going out to the national forests a couple times a month, or one long trip each month since I got my rig last Sep. 
Mine is a bit more off road than yours, and I try to avoid camp grounds.. I drive down forest roads, and then down unmapped branch roads, and find great places to stay.  I've been hiking and backpacking in MO my entire life, but this truck has gotten me to some amazing places I never knew about.
They aren't the most beautiful woods (compared to the mountains out west), but personally, my family likes exploring..   Find signs of old abandoned roads and follow them.  Find 1930's abandoned vehicles rusted to pieces, old building foundations from before it was forest land, etc. 
When I bought the camper, I was afraid I'd have to drive for 12 hours before I got anywhere good, but I was luckily wrong. 

#18 Wildcat

Wildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:31 AM

Zanshin, regarding your garage door height make sure you investigate any possible change in ride height if you get 3/4t springs. I'm not sure about your Ford but I encountered this with my Tacoma rig. Mine slides right into our garage but I couldn't upgrade springs without a raising the door header. On the other hand, maybe a heavier front bumper will help to minimize that issue. Welcome and glad to hear you are enjoying your camper. And winter/cold weather camping is absolutely the best for avoiding the hords at the campgrounds as you discovered.
2001 FWC Eagle on 1998 Taco 4x4

#19 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:52 AM

Welcome to the tribe. I don't think you'll regret the accidental fridge install.

I bought a 1.5" thick copper memory foam pad at Target, that we put on top of the factory bricks...I mean mattress...and it makes a world of difference, and still fits under lowered roof.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users