Photo
- - - - -

FWC and ATC Comparison (what are the differences ?)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

I don't have many pictures yet.

Our dealer in Wisconsin has one in his Grandby (see pictures below).

We opened up the area and installed an extra storage cabinet next to the Engel for him.

On the last camper we just left out the Ice Box so they had a big open area, and then we installed an extra 110/120V outlet and a 12v outlet.

I think it is going to be a nice option for the people that want something other than the 3-way refrigerator.

:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some very nice changes stan. Have any pics with the Engel installed?

Attached Thumbnails

• Engel Portable Refrigerator.JPG
  • Engel Refrigerator.JPG
  • Engel storage space # 2.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#12 Whitely

Whitely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:41 AM

I logged on to the ATC site and noticed right away that the ATC comes standard with an extended cabover with a 4in, mattress. This is an expensive option on the FWC. Surprised nobody had posted this before.

#13 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

I don't know exactly how they are doing things over there ?

We have looked at their web site but find it very vague on what comes standard and what is optional equipment.

I see on their web site they charge $ 375.00 to get the slide out for the extended cab-over bed on some models, so that would make it about a $ 200 price difference to have the extended cab-over bed.

I wish I had more information so I could give you a better comparison.

:(

That said, Four Wheel Campers is coming out with a "Classic" model in the next few weeks so we can offer our customers a similar (very basic) camper, at the same or a better price that some of our competitors.

Yea ! More choices and more options for you guys to choose from.

In the end, you (the customer) will have to choose what you like the best, but if you spend 50 - 60 hours a week building, selling, designing these campers like the staff here, you would quickly see some big differences between our campers and other pop-up camper competitors. Unfortunatly the average customer shopping on line won't see most of the differences if they are just looking at prices on line. We know our campers won't be for everyone.

===============================================================================

I logged on to the ATC site and noticed right away that the ATC comes standard with an extended cabover with a 4in, mattress. This is an expensive option on the FWC. Surprised nobody had posted this before.

Woodland, CA 95776

#14 Whitely

Whitely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:51 PM

I don't know exactly how they are doing things over there ?

We have looked at their web site but find it very vague on what comes standard and what is optional equipment.

I see on their web site they charge $ 375.00 to get the slide out for the extended cab-over bed on some models, so that would make it about a $ 200 price difference to have the extended cab-over bed.

I wish I had more information so I could give you a better comparison.

:(

That said, Four Wheel Campers is coming out with a "Classic" model in the next few weeks so we can offer our customers a similar (very basic) camper, at the same or a better price that some of our competitors.

Yea ! More choices and more options for you guys to choose from.

In the end, you (the customer) will have to choose what you like the best, but if you spend 50 - 60 hours a week building, selling, designing these campers like the staff here, you would quickly see some big differences between our campers and other pop-up camper competitors. Unfortunatly the average customer shopping on line won't see most of the differences if they are just looking at prices on line. We know our campers won't be for everyone.

I was looking at the Bobcat vs. the Eagle when I posted the comment about the extended cabover/bed size. I like the FLEET concept of the extra 4 in. width but wish you folks had photos on your site.
So now you mention a new "CLASSIC" model? Tell us more because I like the K.I.S.S. concept. I don't feel like I need a 110 system because I want to camp as far from the Winnebagos in parking lots as possible. A 12 volt system is good for me and I have been researching you guys and ATC partly because I wanted to avoid the 3 way fridge with its leveling hassles and maintainence problems and you guys offer an icebox. I hate the idea of paying for an option I will never use. I was even considering a SHELL model but it would be nice to have running water handy and a stove to make coffee if it's raining.
Can you give us K.I.S.S. folks a little inside info on your new CLASSIC Model? Thanks for the reply post.

#15 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

soon ... details coming soon ... hang in there

I'm guessing in 2 weeks we will have all of the details for you.

Reading your post on what you are looking for, the "Classic" might be exactly when you are looking for, and it will be at a more affordable price.

As soon as I have the final details & prices from the owner here I will post it ASAP !!

:)

... So now you mention a new "CLASSIC" model? Tell us more because I like the K.I.S.S. concept. I don't feel like I need a 110 system because I want to camp as far from the Winnebagos in parking lots as possible. A 12 volt system is good for me and I have been researching you guys and ATC partly because I wanted to avoid the 3 way fridge with its leveling hassles and maintainence problems and you guys offer an icebox. I hate the idea of paying for an option I will never use. I was even considering a SHELL model but it would be nice to have running water handy and a stove to make coffee if it's raining.
Can you give us K.I.S.S. folks a little inside info on your new CLASSIC Model? Thanks for the reply post.

Woodland, CA 95776

#16 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:16 AM

soon ... details coming soon ... hang in there

I'm guessing in 2 weeks we will have all of the details for you.

Reading your post on what you are looking for, the "Classic" might be exactly when you are looking for, and it will be at a more affordable price.

As soon as I have the final details & prices from the owner here I will post it ASAP !!

:)

... So now you mention a new "CLASSIC" model? Tell us more because I like the K.I.S.S. concept. I don't feel like I need a 110 system because I want to camp as far from the Winnebagos in parking lots as possible. A 12 volt system is good for me and I have been researching you guys and ATC partly because I wanted to avoid the 3 way fridge with its leveling hassles and maintainence problems and you guys offer an icebox. I hate the idea of paying for an option I will never use. I was even considering a SHELL model but it would be nice to have running water handy and a stove to make coffee if it's raining.

i think that when you do a comparison you need to do it between like products.ie. the eagle and bobcat.the bobcat comes standard with extended cab also slide bed check the web site.its not fair to compare one model from one maker with a different model from the other maker.i visited both companies,FWC first and was impressed with their product.than went to ATC and saw that they made a product same quality but with different standard features.i also like the KISS idea.both companies have a spot in the market.its just personal preference.frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#17 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

Just an update on this thread as of July 16th, 2010

Most all of our camper models now come standard with the "extended cabover bed", no additional charge.

The Falcon Model, Finch Model, Eagle Model,Fleet Model, & Ranger Model all come standard with the "Extended Cabover Bed" at no additional charge. You no longer have to pay the $ 575.00 on any new order if you want the extended cabover bed.

The full sized truck mdel like the Hawk, Grandby, Kestrel, & Keystone Model also come standard with the "Extended Cabover Bed" now. It will be a fixed cabover bed that measures 78" x 48" inches. If you want to add the additional 16" slide out with additional cushions to make it the full queen size, you would need ad add $ 375.00 to the price.

Some of the most recent camper changes we are excited about and so you can really see that there are many differences between the 2 brands of campers ...

Eagle, Finch, Falcon, Fleet, & Ranger Models now have 6' 4" of interior headroom.

The Finch, Eagle, Fleet (wide body eagle), Hawk, Kestrel, Ranger, Grandby, & Keystone Models all have a 22 gallon fresh water tank.

All of our full sized campers (Hawk, Grandby, & Keystone) now have enough room under the front couch / settee for 1 or 2 deep cycle batteries. We have made extra room because many of our customers these days are wanting dual camper batteries.

We now have a "wide body eagle" model available called the "FLEET MODEL" for customers that might want a little extra room inside their camper. The Eagle Model is 69" wide. The Fleet ("wide body eagle") is 75" wide.

In either the Eagle Mode or the "wide body" Eagle (Fleet Model) we can install the hot water w/ the outside shower option now. So if you have a small truck like a Tacoma, we can now put hot water & an outside shower on it. Yea !

We are using 6 gallon aluminum hot water heaters now. No anode rod required. These new tanks hold more water and are lighter than the older hot water heaters we used in past years.

We are installing hot water bypass valves and a low water drain in the campers that have the hot water system. So if you want to easily winterize and not fill the hot water heater because the weather might get below freezing, it is very easy to winterize the camper now.

We are now offering a small opening drivers side window on the Ranger, Grandby, and Keystone Models.

We are installing a high quality 30 amp marine plug on the side of the campers so you can hook the camper into your garage, generator, or shore power when available. All the campers (except the shell model) come with an IOTA 30 amp power converter inside the camper as standard equipment.

We now have 4 different fabric colors available for the interior couch & bed cushions.

All of our kitchen cabinets and small storage cabinets are now hinged and can be pulled / flipped open. We don't use any of the slider cabinet doors any longer. We have found the new hinged doors more user friendly.

Most all of our campers now have a LED floor entry lights to provide comfort and easy of entry into the camper as you get inside. Once inside the camper you can then turn on the interior lights.

We are now using a nice Wedgewood propane cook stove. This new stove has one large burner in case you have a big frying pan, and the second burner is the average size. This gives you more cooking flexibility depending on the size of your cooking pots and pans.

In all of our new campers (except the kestrel model) we are now using 2 smaller 10 lb. propane tanks. These tanks are much easier to find locally if you need a spare or a replacement. They will give you more flexibility on how you can use them. Customers seem to be really excited because they can now leave one tank in the camper to run the campers' propane items, and they can easily use the 2nd tank outside to fuel their outside camp stove, BBQ, lantern, etc.

We have switched over to a 12,000 btu furnace in all of our models. It uses less battery power to run the fan (the benefit ... your aux. camper battery will last longer) and the new furnaces we are using are quieter than the old Suburban and Atwood furnaces we have used in the past.

We are offering 2 different couches for most all of our models now. We can install the original L-Shaped roll over couch bed, or we can install the new Dinette style with 2 seats facing each other and a table in the middle. There is no cost difference between the 2 styles of couches.

On the Hawk, Grandby, Kestrel, and Keystone Models we are installing quality LED running / marker lights on the outside of the campers. These LED running lights will help to keep you safer while traveling at night.

We have a gas strut list assist available now for all of our campers. This is a nice feature if you are having a hard time raising the camper roof, or if you are planning to leave a little gear on the camper roof and need just a little extra help from a simple roof list assist. We can install this on any new or used four wheel camper.

All of our campers are now being constructed with a very modern interior for the walls, couch, & cabinets. We felt the older style Western Oak (oak wood grain) was getting a little outdated. Customers were commenting that the oak grain cabinets looked old. We are now using what we call a "Birch" interior. It is just a little lighter, and has a much more modern look to it. It is of the same quality. We DO NOT use any press wood or particle board in our campers.

All of the new campers coming off the production line will come standard with dual 12v outlets at no additional charge. With todays modern society, we found customers are wanting an extra 12v outlet for running items like a laptop, dvd player, or recharging their cell phone.

We now have the new, light weight, hard sided, cab-over campers available too !

Other features we have added the last few months:

Removable Front Opening Window available on all models.

We are now using polyfoam insulation on all of our camper models !

Optional 3.0 cu.ft. Refrigerator/Freezer (Hawk, Grandby, & Keystone)

More Drawers & Cabinet Storage on most all camper models.

Solar Panel -- Roof Mount -- 85 Watt w/ controller [Available on All Models]

==================================================================================

<<< i think that when you do a comparison you need to do it between like products.ie. the eagle and bobcat.the bobcat comes standard with extended cab also slide bed check the web site.its not fair to compare one model from one maker with a different model from the other maker.i visited both companies,FWC first and was impressed with their product.than went to ATC and saw that they made a product same quality but with different standard features.i also like the KISS idea.both companies have a spot in the market.its just personal preference.frank >>>

Woodland, CA 95776

#18 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

I'm a bit confused on the slide out for the Eagle, Finch.

I assume that it comes standard? What are the dimensions of the beds with and without the slideout in use. I'm thinking something like 75" by 67" (Eagle) and 75" by 73" (Finch). This would make the slideout 37" long and the extended bed 48" long. Four inch cusions?

The front opening window is not standard, correct?

Thanks for your help!

#19 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:40 AM

here you go ...

(see attached picture)

The Fleet Model will have the same measurements, but the cabover bed will be 6 " wider.

All camper built with the "extended cabover bed" will have the 4" thick bed mattresses.

I will try and put together a better description in the next day or two.

I have a few other things that I have to get done today.

Attached Thumbnails

• extended cabover bed forums.jpg

Woodland, CA 95776

#20 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

Wow stan. It looks as if all of the posturing and "my camper is better than your camper" talk that pervades this board in the ATC vs. FWC comparison has paid off big for the FWC crowd.

Now if you just can learn to bow down and kiss their feet you might make a few sales (just kidding...but not really....sheesh)....

Thanks for making a great camper and for listening to the needs of you customers.

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users