10 replies to this topic

#1 Oz_70

Oz_70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationKitsap Peninsula, WA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

Two things. First, what’s up with this and what should I do!? I was going across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge during a spring wind storm when the top of my 8' Cab Over blew up about 5 inches in the front! I pulled over and it rested back down to normal. I then took off on the highway and made it half way through Gig Harbor when it happened again! I know I have a leaky back right hydraulic, so later I checked the reservoir and it was low, about a little less than 1/4 of a reservoir tank so I filled it up. (BTW, I found out it SHOULD be filled with aircraft non chemical MINERAL based hydraulic fluid....and it’s sold at the hardware and store and not automotive stores!)
Was the reservoir not being full causing this?
Should I install a hook and ring manual locking device in the front to secure the top?
I recently replaced all my o-rings, the hydraulic is not bent, so does anyone know why is it still leaking? Should I install a larger o-ring….and does anyone know what size is slightly larger than what Alaskan Campers sold me for replacement O-rings?
Second, and last, my water tank blew its seems. Does anyone have the size and an internet link to purchase a new one?

Thanks all! You guys rock!!

Oz
Oz! "If your going to be stupid.....you gotta be tuff!

#2 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:03 AM

oz,

i have a tank out of my 10' nco(i think, it's been so long)and a spare tank that came out of another rig thats close to same size.you're welcome to one if you want it for free. can't say what shape the inside is.i'm sure they will need cleaned

the one that i think is alaskan is 8 1/2 x 29 1/2 x 13 1/2
the other one is 8x24x16

also, i tie my top down with ratchet straps in transport. works great

wes

#3 Wooddog

Wooddog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationThe Baptist Kush of East Tennessee

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Do you close the pump valve after you drop the roof?

#4 Oz_70

Oz_70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Do you close the pump valve after you drop the roof?

Hi Wooddog, yes I close the valve, but it still comes up, which is why I was thinking maybe I did not have enough hydraulic fluid, maybe it was not completely a closed loop, if that even makes sense?

??
Oz

#5 Oz_70

Oz_70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

oz,

i have a tank out of my 10' nco(i think, it's been so long)and a spare tank that came out of another rig thats close to same size.you're welcome to one if you want it for free. can't say what shape the inside is.i'm sure they will need cleaned

the one that i think is alaskan is 8 1/2 x 29 1/2 x 13 1/2
the other one is 8x24x16

also, i tie my top down with ratchet straps in transport. works great

wes

Wes, thanks for the sizes. I will take mine out soon and measure it, but after filling the last tank up and having its seams seams blow out, spilling water all over the camper, or at least a gallon full before I managed to vice grip the tank together and drain the water, I am looking at a new one. I don't want to risk that drama again! But if I can't find a new one I will see if you still have yours! Hows the camping going?

Chris

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

Are you traveling with the front, upper vent window open?....or any windows open for that?

it has been known to create positive pressure enough to lift the top beyond the pirelli seal at which time the pressure is lost and it stabilizes....

sometimes a lack of pirelli seal will cause the same effect

I think this happened to Mike at one time...if I'm not mistaken

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#7 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

Are you traveling with the front, upper vent window open?....or any windows open for that?

it has been known to create positive pressure enough to lift the top beyond the pirelli seal at which time the pressure is lost and it stabilizes....

It sure as heck did! The only time I have had the top raise was when I was driving at freeway speed with the front window open. Certainly, having little or no resistance from your top and bottom seals will make it that much easier for the top to raise.
Mike

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#8 Oz_70

Oz_70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

All windows where shut and it being a Cab Over I don't have a front window. Sure is puzzling. I am thinking about a hook and latch system on the front?

Oz

#9 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

All windows where shut and it being a Cab Over I don't have a front window. Sure is puzzling. I am thinking about a hook and latch system on the front?

Oz

Being a cabover could explain how it came to raise if the wind got beneath it. I would definitely investigate the use of latches to secure the top. I believe there is a thread to that effect if you do a reverse search of posts.

Mike

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#10 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Are your cab over pirelli seals all in place? I believe they were doubled on the cab-overs.

It could be that with the hydraulic problems you're having there may be a bit of air in the front cylinders. That would give them room to move....bleed the system and filler up

some windstorm....isn't that were the bridge came down in a 1950's windstorm?

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users