• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#51 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

So all that has been happening lately is WORK! Yuck! haha I was able to sneak a bit of time in on the camper this weekend! YES! B)

First, thanks to Alley-Kat for all his advice to date! I appreciate it! A thanks as well to chnlisle for helping me out with my Engel fridge transaction! Cant wait to get that thing!

Im excited to say I have an Engel SB70 on the way. I'm done with that ole Dometic RM 2193. 2nd one of those models and it is seriously a pain. So, what comes with a new all electric fridge.... SOLAR PANEL! I was going for the standard 100W panel on solar blvd, but when I called they had just sold out the day before. Not wanted to hold up my project due to upcoming Utah Mountainbiking, I went with the "go big or go home" and picked up the next size. 140 Watt Panel!! I would recommend solar blvd to anyone. I called my order in. They made sure I had what I wanted. Talked about charge controllers which I wanted cheap, etc. Panel and fittings were there 2 days later!

Getting the legs mounted and wiring ready.
Posted Image

Mounted! I have to admit, I am not a big fan of the wires showing on the roof, but due to my pull out bed, and issues that will arise if I run the wire from the front, I decided to drop it down the back and run the wire behind the cabinet work. More to come on that next week.
Posted Image

I also had some time to pull scrap wood laying around my shop together for a little cabinet like a lot of FWC's have. Gotta love adding storage!

Big kid LEGO'S! HAHA
Posted Image

Posted Image

Mounted up! Note, I just screwed it to the double layer of plywood infilling the aluminum frame in the wall.
Posted Image

Top down. Looking good.
Posted Image

Next weekend time for A LOT of wiring! Oh Boy! :)

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#52 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:05 AM

Well, work has got me behind on just about everything in my personal life. I thought I would try and post a few pictures. Unfortunately I didnt take any pictures the last afternoon I was working on the camper so I can't update ya'll on too much progress. BUMMER! The new cabinet is done and looks great. Got the new fuse panel installed, solar wiring ran, wiring for the new fridge ran, etc. Picts of all that coming next weekend.

SO, Here is where I stand kinda right now. WOW! Talk about a big change!
Posted Image

Yup, that's right, I gutted her again. I pretty much re-ran all the wiring, cleaned it up, etc. The fridge needed to go directly to the battery. So, its got its own 12ga going back there. Next the solar panel obviously needs to go all the way to the battery as well so 10ga for that.

Table full of fun stuff that ole amazon got me. Up, my NEW ENGEL Frdige there as well! So excited about that!
Posted Image

More picts of the new fridge.
Posted Image

Posted Image

So, here is my layout so far for all the new goodies. Some of this stuff I have had for a while. 12v USB Charger, Cigarette 12v charger, Sunforce Charge Controller, Watts up meter, and Hunter digital thermostat. More updates on that soon. Still trying to figure out exactly how I want to mount it all and how I want it to look.

Posted Image

And finally something that I am REALLY excited about funny enough..... Being a structural engineer, I am lucky enough to get to know many contractors. One was nice enough to cut me new counter tops out of some left-overs he had. So there they are, ready to install in the camper. Just have to cut out the holes for the sink and water pump. I think I am not going to put the stove back in. I am going to have a hookup inside to my Colman camp stove. I am also extending the counter top all the way to the front and adding one more little spot for storage.

Posted Image

I wont get any time this weekend to work on the old Hawk, but am going to do a marathon 3 day weekend the following to get her up and running for Utah.
Cheers,
Paul

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#53 pasowino

pasowino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPaso Robles, CA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

It looking real good Paul. That solar panel will be great. I will eventually add one to my Hawk, but I haven't used the camper enough to justify or establish what my power needs are. I only have lights (LEDs), water pump for sink, and a furnace, so not much power draw...especially since I haven't run the furnace yet.

Your Hawk look awesome on your truck. Thanks for sharing the photos and the update on your project.

Cheers,
-Jeremy

#54 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

I would add an unregulated propane "spigot" somewhere convenient inside so that you can use the Coleman stove inside when the weather is too miserable to want to cook outside.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#55 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

It looking real good Paul. That solar panel will be great. I will eventually add one to my Hawk, but I haven't used the camper enough to justify or establish what my power needs are. I only have lights (LEDs), water pump for sink, and a furnace, so not much power draw...especially since I haven't run the furnace yet.

Your Hawk look awesome on your truck. Thanks for sharing the photos and the update on your project.

Cheers,
-Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy! I never had a battery problem until I decided to go 12v fridge. You should be fine with your current setup. I would suggest a batter isolator though. Cheap and easy to install.

I would add an unregulated propane "spigot" somewhere convenient inside so that you can use the Coleman stove inside when the weather is too miserable to want to cook outside.

That is pretty much exactly what I plan on doing! I saw someone that did it years back on a thread. Thought it was a pretty slick Mod. Going to pick up the propane line parts this weekend.

Anyone want my old stove? :D

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#56 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

Anyone want my old stove? :D

Keep it, you'll be ripping out the interior soon enough and be putting it back in.
I know you well enough now to say that!

#57 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

Keep it, you'll be ripping out the interior soon enough and be putting it back in.
I know you well enough now to say that!

Listen to the wisdom here. :)
The guts of your old Hawk sure reminds me of how the insides of our old Ranger II looked.
Enjoying the epic, right along with you.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#58 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Keep it, you'll be ripping out the interior soon enough and be putting it back in. I know you well enough now to say that!

HAHA I hope not, but yea, you probably are right. :D I'll keep it laying around.

Listen to the wisdom here. :) The guts of your old Hawk sure reminds me of how the insides of our old Ranger II looked.Enjoying the epic, right along with you.

Gotta love customizing them! Isn't it funny how while you are already in the middle of one phase of the project you are already thinking of the next! I really want to modify the bench into the dinette.... Maybe a good winter project. We'll see! :rolleyes:

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#59 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

Well, I was lucky enough to get about a 1/2 day off Friday and made good progress on Saturday. It's coming back together. Lots new wiring! The new fridge looks and works great! It was 38* in no time after turning it on. I'm interested to see if I hear the sound of the compressor once everything is back together.

It was a mess in the camper!
Posted Image

Everything hooked up and running! Just barely fits in there! I decided last minute to go with a morning sunsaver charge controller. Glad I did, the other one was cheap! I ran a 2nd propane line and valve which will give me gas to a portable camping stove. Looks pretty bad with all those fittings, but Im sure it will get the job done.
Posted Image

Fridge back in and the upper countertop too. Its starting to look good.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The upper drawer fits perfectly!
Posted Image

Posted Image

The cabinet doors now on. I think it turned out pretty good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope to have it all back together tomorrow!! :B

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#60 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

I've been running the SB70 for a while now, with the stock battery (79ah) and a 120 watt solar setup and love it. The fridge runs incredibly well, and super efficient. It does tend to vibrate so ensure you mount it nicely and buffer it a bit if possible. It makes ice on level 3! What more could you ask for (more room I guess - but it's fine for the 2 of us).

Looks great.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users