16 replies to this topic

#11 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

WTW obviously has a good thing going, awkward posting of photos not withstanding. However, FB has become the new standard for many orgs and is quite useful. It's worked for me to reconnect with extended family & friends. I also have a page for my business for marketing purposes (please 'like' us!!! :P ). I also act as an admin for my rotary FB page and one other service org I belong to. It's scary how ubiquitous FB is becoming.

One thing I don't like about us using FB instead of WTW is all the great handles everyone uses, with the amount of privacy provided, are not used on FB. I think it's a bit redundant, but I appreciate the Saint's efforts to move us into the cyber-future. ;)

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#12 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

One thing to remember: Using FB isn't/won't-be instead of WTW -- not for most of us, anyway (I predict).
I think it's unclear how it will be used...but I, for one, don't feel that WTW-on-FB is any danger to WTW. I'll go on the record to proclaim that my prediction will hold true.

I, too, noticed that I can see the "real" identities of some WTW members who've "Liked" the WTW FB page (a number of well-respected WTWers, by the way). As Lighthawk points out, that's a FB thing.
But: You can lock down your FB profile so that only those you've marked as "Friend" can see anything about you, other than your name. That's how I have my profile set.
FB deliberately makes it non-obvious/difficult to increase privacy settings because increased privacy means fewer page-views and fewer page-views means fewer eye-balls looking at and clicking on its ads. But Facebook is a for-profit business (as is WTW), so this approach doesn't surprise me nor do I resent it since I have the right to chose to not use FB. (My retirement is dependent on investments in for-profit businesses!)
(PM me if you want to increase your FB privacy settings and don't know how.)

I frequently criticize Facebook -- on Facebook, and yet I look at it every day and post on it several times a week. If I really couldn't stand it I would delete my profile.
That's the thing about Facebook: If you don't like it, don't use it -- problem solved -- it's as simple as that.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#13 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Hey Saints, Facebook is obviously a force that many people enjoy. The Lady and I aren't Facebook users, but so what. For those that have the interest, it is a part of their lives, a place they like to check in at. Run with it, have fun, and thanks for taking the reins on this endeavor.

Thank you Ski. It is a choice and if you are into it's great. It can be a useful tool.Glad you took the lead,Saints.
You didn't offend me that's pretty hard to do.I am happy with the amount of technology I currently have.It's a job just to keep up with all the changes but there is a need for some of it.After all if it wasn't for the "net"how would we enjoy this great site.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#14 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

I'm with 3ski on this one, someone else got me on Facebook, and now I'm stuck and will grin an bare it when i get all those winky things and such in my email, but i use it very rarely- like to promote WTC or saving the state park system!

Smoke:o
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#15 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

Much easier to post pix for damn sure but finding out real names will/would be scary. :o

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#16 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

We know who you are, and we're watching!

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

The face book is great for those who want to use that media,BUT I hope it doesn't stop members from posting pictures on WTW.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users