109 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

This appears similar to Dometic & ARB portable fridges and uses a danfoss compressor. I can't find any specs as to power usage. The Truck Fridge 65 liter built in refrigerator appears to be a rebadged isotherm cruise 65. Thoughts on this fridge?
TruckFridge Model TF41

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

I wonder how many amps it draws?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

Probably in the same ballpark I'd guess. The edgestar is only a tad higher than those. I'd be more interesting in trying this one out over an edgestar, I like the fit/finish better.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

I wonder how many amps it draws?

Good question that I'd like to see some data on. From poking around a bit, the portage fridges truckfridge sells look similar in appearance and features to the Waeco CF40 and CF50. Awhile ago I could find the complete article that an Aussie magazine did comparing refrigerators. Currently I can only find a part of it that ARB is using.
Fridge Comparisons
Opinions are bought, but they also report test results.

It also looks similar to the fridge Evakool USA is selling.
USAKOOLMATE

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have looked at these last year when an ad popped up on this site.I liked the price and they seemed to compare with other units.The size is more of a concern to me and the measurements fit my needs.
At present and for lots of years I have used the Coleman thermo cool unit with success.(I have to add a disclaimer)I don't camp in the dessert.
Last year on our Denali/Yukon 5 week trip my system worked well. I have the 3 way fridge set to its lowest temp,to freeze and keep frozen 1/2 gallon bottles of water usually 3 (I start out with them frozen at home). Than switch 1 into the cooler in the truck to keep the temp when the cooler isn't plugged in.There were several times of 4+ days that the cooler wasn't plugged in or the 3 way turned off.This was ferry time. I had thought that I would have to get some ice to back up the frozen bottles but didn't need to.
I have gone back and forth about a reefer of this type.I like the power usage as I think my solar panel could keep up with the power usage.Also I could store more in the truckfridge than the Coleman since I would not have to take up space for the bottle/ice block. I think my Coleman isn't be any larger than 1.5 cubic feet add the ice and I have just eaten up more space. The Coleman is listed at 40 quarts. I measured the inside and it comes out to 12"x12"x15" of usable space.That's without the bottle/ice.
I think I would spring for the largest unit 2 cubic feet.They are all the same width and length,the heights are different.The biggest is only 2" higher than the Coleman.At $544 shipped it brings it into the realm of possibility.
What do you all think.Would like other input.
Thanks Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

<snip>
The size is more of a concern to me and the measurements fit my needs.
<snip>

This is where I am also. If the handles come off, the length works well in the space currently used by our old stainless steel Coleman. Frank, thanks for your comments.

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

My Engel MT45 draws just under 2.5 amps when it cycles. With an 85 watt solar panel I never have need to charge the battery using the truck unless there isn't any sun. We stayed on the beach in Baja for days with the battery minder reading "good" all the time. And that thing will freeze water when its 105 outside. I am going to take some measurements to see if the dual zone unit will fit on with the top down. If so that will give me lots more room. Fingers crossed!

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

This is where I am also. If the handles come off, the length works well in the space currently used by our old stainless steel Coleman. Frank, thanks for your comments.

Yeh the handles are a of no use.They have to come off,even if it's with a saw! I have 23" between the two storage drawer units I have in the back seat area of the truck and there is just 23" between them.So the reefer will work for us.I don't worry about using battery power as we usually go some place at least once a day with the truck.I only have a 45W solar panel but that seems to fit my needs.
We have been on the fence with a reefer unit for a long time and most times we talk ourselves out of it but I think we have a winner this time.Now the choice is which size,middle or large.
Think might pull the trigger today.Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

<snip>
They have to come off, even if it's with a saw!
<snip>
We have been on the fence with a reefer unit for a long time and most times we talk ourselves out of it but I think we have a winner this time.Now the choice is which size,middle or large.
Think might pull the trigger today.Frank

Frank, keep us posted. And, if I don't hear back from the truckfridge folks, whether a saw is necessary!

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

My Engel MT45 draws just under 2.5 amps when it cycles. With an 85 watt solar panel I never have need to charge the battery using the truck unless there isn't any sun. We stayed on the beach in Baja for days with the battery minder reading "good" all the time. And that thing will freeze water when its 105 outside. I am going to take some measurements to see if the dual zone unit will fit on with the top down. If so that will give me lots more room. Fingers crossed!

Jay, thanks for the info as I know you love your engel. Unfortunately I'd have to do more remodeling if I wanted to make one fit. By the way, what size battery are you using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users