• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#691 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:43 AM

I don't know them but have been plagued by people like them from time to time.  It must be some kind of disease.  You take your chances in a campground, but you'd hope for better in a dispersed site.  We had a group of people do this to us this spring on the Fremont National Forest.  I hoped they were just pulling up to look at the river, but by the time we returned from fishing they were sprawled out right next to us.  We were gone in 20 minutes.  Now, to go find that cheap bottle of whiskey and my shotgun....

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#692 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

On a happier note, Yesterday, Tuesday, we met a nice young couple from Santa Cruz with their young daughter. They were paddle boarding Highland Lake on the Stanislaus National Forest camped in their All Terrain Camper Bobcat on a Tacoma. Happy camping!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#693 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:44 PM

Tuesday late afternoon 28 July, friends with a FWC were occupying a dispersed campsite on Monitor Pass in the eastern Sierra Nevada. A Ram truck carrying a FWC drove in, turned around, and drove out. A few minutes later the truck returned leading another truck in that was towing a travel trailer. They set up camp right beside our friends. Our friends dropped the top and left, saddened by such rude behavior.

Do you know these clueless people?

Clueless is a kind word. Julie always tells me to be kind.

The ok/not ok of people camping close to me - camping or backpacking - is ALWAYS going to be assessed according to the specific circumstances. 

One afternoon we were working our way around a high country lake (backpacking) trying to escape the large group of Boy Scouts on one side. There was a group of three following us and when my husband and I got to the last campsite at the inlet creek and a cliff face we dropped our packs and turned to see the looks on the faces of the three while they began to turn around. Ron called out, "join us, there is plenty of room" and they did. The two guys were impressed by Ron's fly fishing so he showed them how to use a small pinecone as a bubble/float on their spinning gear and catch grasshoppers for bait.  

Dinner that night was a lot of large Brook Trout and a bunch of special treats (like fresh veggies) that one rarely eats backpacking. Then there was cake (Hostess Ho-Hos) and candles. The birthday boy said it was the best birthday he ever had. We didn't have any idea - Ron just knew they needed a place to camp and I think he really lived to share his space, his knowledge, his everything. That was more than 30 years ago and I will never forget the preciousness of that night. I am smiling as I write this. 

Another backpack trip I returned to my campsite (in the Dusy Basin - completely off trail) from fishing to find two dads and (at least) four young boys camped nearby. The dad's tent was within a few steps of my "kitchen". The boys were a little further away. I was aghast. Then I got talking to them. One of the reasons for the trip was to scatter the ashes of a friend. They had camped at that spot on the last backpack they had taken with him. We shared dinner (fish) and fishing stories. We watched the full moon rise right over Isosceles Peak and drank tea laced with whiskey (the kids were already asleep). We all slept well.

Then there was last spring. Big snow year. The little back roads I might drive down to camp were blocked by snow. I pulled into a spot even though there was another camper in the vicinity (I could not see the camper from mine although I could see it as I drove in) When I popped up my top I was summoned to the other camper van by a loud voice, questioned, screamed at, called an asshole and told to get my dogs out of his camper (they were not in his camper) 

I was going to offer him a beer. I decided not to. He left but not before nearly running me over in my chair. He did not need to exit that way. 

If people are behaving badly - yeah, I'll lower the top and leave. But really - this is PUBLIC land. And this year, as in a big snow year, space is at a premium. And you might actually meet some real nice people and have a great time. One other time at the same campsite I just spoke of a couple drove by and I waved at them. They stopped. They let their dogs out to wrastle with my dogs. They asked if I knew of other campsites. I invited them to join me. We had one of the best nights and one of the best days of backcountry skiing I have ever had. We exchange Christmas cards and vow to get together again sometime. 

Clueless? Rude? Did you walk a mile in their moccasins before you judged them? 

Edited by teledork, 19 August 2020 - 11:05 PM.

#694 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:44 PM

Ski was that the  Saints by any chance?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#695 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:02 PM

Clueless? Rude? Did you walk a mile in their moccasins before you judged them? 

No, I was relating the story as told to me.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#696 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:03 PM

Ski was that the  Saints by any chance?

Frank

Frank, they did not identify themselves. We only chatted about ATC's.

Just took a look at the saints' photo, it was not them.

#697 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 28 August 2020 - 01:57 AM

Between Redding, CA and Bend, OR this afternoon I saw 3 (three) different rigs southbound with FWC-or-ATC units on them (separately, not traveling together).

Not very good ID, I know....but they know who there are.  ;)  B)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#698 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 August 2020 - 02:25 AM

I saw an Eagle or Fleet (I think it was an Eagle) on a silver 2nd gen Tacoma out exploring the Pawnee grasslands in NE Colorado this morning (8/27).   We were the guys inflating the giant helium balloon on the side of the road.....

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#699 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:13 PM

Saw my first Kimbo Camper near Canby, Oregon.   Interesting.

I am haunted by waters

#700 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 03:41 PM

All Terrain Camper on a full size dark gray colored truck drove past us this morning while we were on our morning walk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users