• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:59 AM

One of the best things about the Hallmarks are their excellent ability at winter camping.  The snap on window covers and triple layer softwall make for a comfortable camper in the cold.  I can imagine a hard side camper being a bit better for the cold but I don't think it would be dramatically better.  The pic below is from camping last night near Montezuma, Colorado.  I still had a hot inside shower but it was from a Zodi instead of the installed water heater.  Also, the under bed storage means there is a dead air space between the mattress and the cold outside air, so no condensation under the mattress to worry about.

IMG_0989.jpg

Edited by enelson, 26 January 2015 - 04:05 AM.

#22 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

I did notice the underbed storage which I liked because of the extra room. The added benefit of no mattress condesation is icing on the cake. I was wondering why FWC did not supply that. For what little weight it would add it would seem to be well worth it:) I love this site:)

Edited by Happyjax, 26 January 2015 - 03:24 PM.

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#23 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

FWC has under bed storage with the flatbed models.  Its not full length like the Hallmark though.  I believe that FWC and ATC are more about trying to minimize the over cab thickness and are oriented more for users who leave the camper on most of the time.  The internal bed tie downs that FWC and ATC use make loading and unloading more of a chore for sure but are good for four wheeling since there is less chance of dragging the tie downs on rocks if you end up rock crawling. 

I've been taking our Hallmark off and on quite often since we picked it up from the factory mid December.  For instance, the camper was on this weekend and is now back off and stored inside.  

#24 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

Is it better to store these campers inside as I do not have that option where I live. It never occurred to me that outside might be an issue so I am wondering if it can be over the long run? So many things to learn:)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#25 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:52 AM

It's always better to store just about anything inside.  It's not a big deal to leave the camper outside all the time.  It would be good to raise the roof at regular intervals to allow the cab over area to air out.  If you can store the camper outside of direct sunlight leaving the top up would be a good idea but it's not necessary.

#26 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:03 AM

Here is am update after two plus years "Wandering the West".

2008 Ford F250 Superduty XLT:

Last spring we bought a Ranch Hand replacement bumper winch ready ($$$) because of all the idiot drivers who pull out in front of us or make a left hand turn at the last minute. The sight of our rig has dissuaded a few but at least I feel safer if we do collide. Also, we are checking out winches for future purchase. 

We also bought a Hi Lift jack for which hubby made a carrier with neighbor's 3 lengths of excess 6" channel iron which he welded together, painted red and attached to rear of truck. 

Last June, the radiator blew as we were climbing that really long switchback on Highway 20 through Washington's North Cascades.This is a known issue that we should have researched more thoroughly. Thankfully, our camper had a 30+ gallon water tank so every 5 or so miles we filled up the radiator, also stopping at a campground for a refill until we could get a cell phone signal to call AAA. $2200 later (includes oil change) we have a new Mishimoto aluminum radiator. Our mechanic always asks us if we have since had any issues when we go in for an oil change (usually due after every trip). So far, so good after 8+ more weeks of travelling. 

The tow haul feature sticks but hubby replaced wiring. Good now. 

We get about 11-12 mpg hauling the camper; the truck got about 14 mpg on the drive to Colorado using interstates mainly. 

We found out about an air filter from K&N that is supposed to never need changing, just maintenance. We will research further. Since we end up in the dustiest places (Monument Valley, Nevada's alkaline valleys, and a dust storm coming through Idaho into Oregon near Nampa, ID) we need something that won't clog up. We had to replace one in Fallon, Nevada after asking all the way from Bryce (backroads so more difficult to find a NAPA dealer). It is also supposed to increase the mileage and performance. 

Hubby also put on an air dam under the bumper to increase mileage. When we were fueling up somewhere a fellow F250 owner told us it was standard on the 2009s. You could buy one for $100 but with some rivets and landscape rubber edging, he made his own. Clever boy. 

To keep the dogs from getting the back seats dirty, we are buying one of those hammock backseat protectors that attach to the back of the front seats and the front of the back seats with cutouts for seatbelts for their safety harnesses. 

Nothing else that I can think of. I am still looking for a USB connection in the glove box accessed from the dash?

2013 Hallmark Ute:

In the fall of 2013, the power roof failed to lift on one side. Thankfully, Hallmark was open on Saturday, so we drove from near Frenchglen, OR to Colorado to get it fixed just under the warranty period. The person who is responsible for their installation talked my husband through getting the top to come all the way down. Thankfully, he had a small jack and some lumber. It was an uncomfortable way to sleep camping on the floor even with cushions and hubby slept in the truck fitfully (bad back). He is 6" taller so wouldn't fit sleeping in camper. Hallmark fixed it and also repaired a clasp that had broken that we forgot to unhinge when setting up.

Hubby stepped on the table and bent the support but fixed it.

Nothing else has gone wrong so far. 

These are some standard features and options I would eliminate next time:

Stereo: cuts out when heater kicks on after awhile or maybe it is the compressor fridge. We use iPod with portable speaker or iPhone for radio or battery powered portable radio. 

Stove: we have never used it. I thought we would use it for pizzas but we usually have soup, sandwiches or salads.

Microwave: we only use it if we stay at a campground with power which we usually don't. I use it out at the music festival to heat up soup but then I have 110. 

Roof storage: I have yet to use the top for photography but will try it eventually. 

Inside shower: hubby really wanted this and we have yet to use it. Good reselling point, maybe?

Options we would like: 

More solar wattage for longer stays without running engine or when it rains/is cloudy

smaller table on sturdier stand

drawers for the included under the bed storage (as a few folks have mentioned, it is a PITA to access unless top is up). 

Swing away from camper for spare tire, extra storage, etc. I know they can be fabbed but $$$$. Maybe hubby can make one as he is handy with tools. 

USB connections in camper (we use those plugins that fit the 12 volt (3 outlets in camper, 2 in truck)

My big wish is for Hallmark to make a flatbed unit. More storage and wiggle room. 

The combo is wonderful for getting us to some wonderful places to pursue our passions of photography, rockhounding, ghost towns, etc. We would really like to get a trailer to tow a sxs UTV but that is just too much for the budget at this point. We sure could have used one when we drove to Delamar ghost town: narrow rocky road with drop off on one side and bank on the other. Hairyyyyyy. Or, Jumbled Rock Canyon in Nevada which you needed an a real offroad crawler for with those special joints. 

I am sure I have more to add but that is it for now.

2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#27 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:37 AM

Thanks for the update on your real world experiences.  Your original post was one of the pointers for me to look at Hallmark, and so far I'm glad I did.  We just returned home (just down the road from you in Bellevue) with our new K2.  We got 5 good nights in it on the way home and didn't have any problems or find any issues.  As we traveled back there with the "stuff" we thought we'd need, we did end up with too much of this and not enough of that for the trip home, but that was to be expected.  Should would be nice if they had a tie down point for the stairs though, we exercised the rear suspension a little more than planned and had it bounce around and tear the screen and gouge the rear door.  A good lesson on being a little more watchful of the road conditions.

We too have a Ford Superduty diesel, a 2012 F350 which just has the extra overload springs.  Truck didn't even know the camper was there.  Ours is a short bed, and with the K2, it extends out about a foot.  It also has the exterior storage boxes which extends it just a little more than a K2.  I really like having those boxes for the "truck" stuff, tools, chains, extra fluids etc.  Keeps the dirty/grimey stuff out (well besides me at least).  We may be going with a Mishimoto radiator soon too, seems to be a common problem with the Ford radiators, they use plastic tanks and the seam where they connect to the aluminum cooling section don't last.  I first noticed the drip as it was sitting in Hallmark's shop having the camper installed.  Not a good feeling seeing that.  It's been a minor drip so far and I just keep it topped off with the magic coolant that can only be gotten at a Ford dealer (which is different than the one you would use, new motor design, new coolant I guess).

We opted for the manual superlift roof, you just use a screw gun, otherwise if you did by hand it would take all day/night to raise it.  No shower or microwave.  We did opt for the oven though, so far makes cookies pretty well and hot pepperoni sandwiches.  We have the 200W soft solar panels.  Didn't really get a chance to see how well they kept up with battery usage, we did stay put for a couple of nights at Valley of the Gods and they seemed to recharge well enough, time will tell.  I posted some pictures of it in the SoB gallery.

Research real well on the K&N, there's a lot of different schools of thought on them.  While you don't have to change them, you do have to maintain them just as much, if not more.  Some feel the oil they use can carry through the intake system and foul sensors, others think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

JR

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#28 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for the real world comments on the campers.

K&N filters if you over oil them they can cause problems on the MAF sensor but getting the right sensor cleaner for you truck helps. Just follow the instructions and don't over do it. The filter works really well trapping the fine silty clay soil.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#29 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:13 AM

Bad habit: for the scissor stairs, my husband drilled two holes on the opposite sides of the holder that attaches to the step platform. Then, he found two lynch pins (I think that is what they are called, sort of like fat bobby pins.). You just line up the holes and push through. I almost took a header when one side came loose so my husband came up with a simple solution. We just put them in the little drawer by door. Oh, I rerad your post so you wee talking about the inside. Ours seems to stay put. You could rig buggy cords as tie downs.

I was hoping later model F 250s didn't have the radiator problem. From our research and that of our mechanic's, we chose the all aluminum Mishimoto. Lots of money but we end up in the most remote places so a reliable radiator is essential. Our mechanic said it was PITA to install.

Since we have a long box and the Ute, the boxes weren't an option. They sure are nice, though. The main thing is we need a bit more storage. We really try to bring as little as we can and, with practice, we are getting better. But, we take such long trips (3-6 weeks) so need extra items.

Thanks to you and pvstoy for K&N filters. Hubby is intent on buying them. When we were in Valley of the Gods, it was dry and dusty. Plus, there were way too many mini van/sedans trying to drive it. No off road etiquette at all. Beautiful place though.

I wish we had 200 watt solar but they weren't an option. Or, maybe they were but we didn't ask and they weren't on the options list.

Happy trailss. Maybe we will see you out there. We avoid Seattle, though, since my sister moved to Honolulu.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#30 camper357

camper357

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:39 PM

I have used K&N filters on cars, trucks, and motorcyles.  I have one in the car and the truck as I type  They do breath a little better than a standard paper filter.  However, how can they allow more air to pass through the filter and still filter as well as a paper filter?   I would encourage you to do a little internet searching on tests performed by labs testing K&N filters vs OEM filters. 

I can tell you from my experience using a K&N filter on an off-road motorcycle that I could see the dust in the airbox that had passed through the filter.  The same could not be said using the stock filter. 

I would not use them in a dusty environment like you are contemplating.  I think they are fine for on-road applications or for off-road applications in wetter months, but I think they provide insufficient filtering in dusty conditions.  I make a point on reinstalling the standard filter back in the truck in the drier months if I know I am going to driving in the dust. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users