37 replies to this topic

#31 bnf3

bnf3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSacramento/Lone Pine

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:43 PM

Congratulations, and great looking rig.  Always tough to spend the money, but I think it's worse to short yourself on something you love.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.  My wife and I are now a little obsessed with street photography.

#32 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

Camper 357: I will pass this on to my husband.

Bnf3: street photography can be fun. Of course you probably heard of that nanny who shot all those street scenes who unfortunately didn't get the limelight before she passed on. I am thinking that she would have shied away from the publicity. There is a documentary on TV. I like landscape photography and for fun, concerts.

Several additions:
New tires last spring. We got a good deal on some returns at Les Schwabs.
Also, we noticed a flat from the last trip when we arrived home as tire was low. It turns out that the rim was cracked. Of course, the replacement is no longer made. I did an exhaustive Internet seatch for the model no,bet or whatever number is used to identify this style. We went to Discount Tire who had a similar one at they installed. A couple of hundred dollars later, we are ready to roll. Last year was expensive.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#33 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:25 AM

Can't restrain myself from commenting about K&N filters. I dislike some of their marketing, pretty hard for a filter to get you better economy and power at the same time, or better filtration and flow at the same time. Here is a bit from some testing posted elsewhere:

Well there is a clear pattern on filtration ability compared to both flow and the type of filtration media used.  The "high performance" cotton gauze and foam filters do not filter as well as some have claimed.  I actually received an e-mail from K&N stating their filters filter within 99% of the OEM filters.  This may be true, and 1% may not sound like much.  I contend that 1% over many miles, may be important.  Really, it is up to each individual to decide.  The poorer flowing filters, remove more particles, and the better flowing filters remove less particles.  If you think about it, that conclusion passes any and all common sense tests, so it is not surprising.  There are many that will be shocked by the results, that should not be though.  I've used high performance filters in the past, and I might again in the future.  At the same time, I know that the stock OEM type filters perform very well in filtration and don't inhibit flow nearly as much as some think.  

Ford actually makes a heavy duty filter system for the 7.3 but don't know if there is anything like that for newer trucks.  It's called the Ford/Donaldson AIS and has a much bigger filter so it can flow and filter and not clog as fast.  Not a cheap replacement but just what is needed for those dusty roads. 

Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#34 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:36 AM

Barko1:

Thanks for the info. I told hubby to wait until we researched more. I will also check out the Ford/Donaldson AIS filter. Ours is a 6.4, 2008 f250 Super Duty. We wanted a 7.3 but none were available locally unless their mileage was high or the bodies were rusted. It is just that we drive the dusty back roads of Nevada and Utah so we need a filter that will perform well under those conditions. 

2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#35 COBlue

COBlue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:58 AM

Also, the under bed storage means there is a dead air space between the mattress and the cold outside air, so no condensation under the mattress to worry about.
attachicon.gifIMG_0989.jpg

Just a caution about condensation. I did find some mildew on the bottom of my Milner's mattress this summer. It may have been from my winter trips. Anyway, I ordered some hypervent (iirc) from a marine store to place under the mattress. Added benefit is that it allows warm air under the mattress so the mattress is warmer in the winter. Downside is that the added height makes it a little harder to clamp the roof down.
Still loving my 2010, the only problems have been self-inflicted!

#36 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:03 AM

COBlue:

We also found just a little mildew on the underside of the original foam cushions. The cover was a bugger to take off and put on but we washed it to eliminate the small dots of stains. We have a 2.5" mattress topper on top that has a zippered cover and on top of that we have two old wool blankets (orange ones from the 1950s or earlier). Mildew is to be expected as we live here in the drizzle capital of the world. The camper fits in our shop building with the top up and we run a fan almost always and a small heater when it gets really cold (not an issue this winter). A local boating company carries the Hypervent but at $12.95 a foot and the need for two pieces to cover the entire bed area (39" wide), we are looking for alternatives. From research, there is an item that is similar, available in a wider dimension but it isn't clear if it is still available. We have no issue lowering the roof as even with the extra 2.5" the top lowers without effort. 

Barko: I did show my husband your info and when I get around to it I will research the alternative you mentioned. 

#37 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:28 AM

Hallmark must have recognized the issue, as they installed it under our mattress.  I had planned on something along these lines but now don't have to.  I would think Hallmark and other campers that have the storage area under the mattress may be a little less susceptible as that creates a bit of insulation, especially if packed with clothes.  More air flow is always good in any case.

(and here I thought Bellingham was in the rain shadow Banana Belt of Western WA :)  )

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#38 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:19 PM

I am with Barko on the filter issue. I am a Cummins guy, so take this with the appropriate cautions. That said, on the various Cummins forums, there has been a lot of discussion on the K&N filters. Several posters have written that their turbos were "dusted" and required replacement. It seems that the K&N filter allowed dust to pass into the turbo.  I have never researched this any further. I just got to the point where I thought "why take the chance?' You might want to ask about K&N filters on the various Powerstroke forums.  I run Wix (when I can find them)  or factory filters.

YMMV

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Ancient FWC Grandby, coming back to life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users