• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

can one of you describe the route you take, the drive time, and where you go?
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#2 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:31 AM

Our way of travel in Mexico is to just take off. We did that the first time as well. Travel as far as you can until you think you need to turn back and then do that. Anything others tell you about won't be your own discovery. Keep the "unknown" factor alive and it will be an adventure not a planned tour.
Time is a hard thing to take with you to Mexico. They don't go much by it and it will be hard for you to, not knowing what obstacles you might run across. It took two days to get a pinion gear repaired in our truck one time....after we found someone to do it. The roads flooded on us once on the mainland and we had to camp for another two days....not Mexico but last winter in Guatemala the country ran out of cash money while we were there...that took two weeks to straighten out.... due to a huge bank embezzlement deal and a problem in France where they have their money printed. I guess someone burned the old bills before they got the new ones at the same time the printer got the wrong paper and had to reorder. Point being, leave your watch at home and give yourself as much time as you can. If you can't take time, just explore a small area. That's my take on it and I am sure there are plenty of other views. I think Baja is a great first driving trip into Mexico. It is very easy there.
In fact we are thinking about doing a 2 week trip with motorcycles down to La Paz, across on the ferry to the mainland and then back north home sometime this winter....2 weeks is plenty of time for that...esp. having been both side of that route before.
Have a great time....I know you will.
Brian

#3 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:09 AM

jeff first i agree with brian,1st rule do not plan to be anywhere at a certain time things come up that you have no control over and if you let it bother you it will ruin your trip! my suggestion for first trip would be to head to mexicalla cross border drive to san fellipe spend your first night there then you will really enjoy the getting away from the tourist areas!after that make sure you have all supplies you need as there are very few spots to get anything including gas,from this point plan on remote camping all the way to baja gonzaga.spend some time in that area as their are rustic camp grounds on beach basic supplies and gas most of time!go on down the road for 20 miles and visit Cocos corner and meet Coco one of the last neat people in baja on the order of the clam man for you oldtime baja people!! give your self at least a long week to enjoy and i'm sure you willreturn to baja for many more trips! get mexican insurance,smile drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

#4 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

Jeff Les is on the money there and the road from Puertocitos to Gonzaga will test the rig a tiny bit and give you some great views of the Sea of Cortez. I first met Coco 20 years ago when he had a long black ponytail. Now he looks like me gray and bald. Back then he just opened his tire shack in the middle of nowhere. Of course back then there were very few people at Gonzaga. Now he has a compound and has managed to thrive and as Les said he is one of the last great guys around. And a character to boot.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

Here's a couple of pix of our trip last year in May. Coco still looks good I on the other hand got very old what the hell happened? As you can see he loves company and especially kids. Get yourself a T-shirt while your there.

Attached Thumbnails

• small Coco's Corner Baja.jpg
  • Small Coco.jpg

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:21 PM

jay after seeing yours pics of Coco i dug up a couple more.we were camped out about 8 miles from cocos in a canyon when we ran across one of cocos signs from when he first ended up in the area,plus my other half virginia likes this outhouse pics!,coast line pics show how remote it is (no people!)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0372 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0186 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0236 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0269 (Small).JPG

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:43 PM

Les you warm my heart. I have a tough time with all of the development at Gonzaga but never the less it still worth going to. One of these days I'll have to get a slide scanner and post some of my old 35mm's of Gonazga of 25 years ago. Our little caravan was the only thing on that incredible stretch of beach south of Alphosina's.

I remember you telling me about going out back through Cocos. Next time we head that way l'll get some directions from you to those gorgeous beaches. Now thats the way to do Baja.....while there still is a baja to do. And more great pix thanks.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

this is exactly the type of info i want to hear....

why transit the border at mexicali rather than tijuana ?
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

If you go to Gonzage the back way through San Felipe its the closer entry point. If you take the easier route down Mexico1 and head to Gonzaga at Catavina it's closer to enter at Tijuana.

If you choose the latter be sure to eat at El Jardin in San Quintin. You head out toward the bay and El Molino but watch for the signs pretty quick to El Jardin. It very well could be the best restaurant in Baja. San Quintin can be a bit edgy so dont be driving there at night which incidentally is good advice for the entire pennisula.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:16 PM

this is a really cool thread you guys! my girlfriend and i are planning a trip to baja currently and these are some great tips and insight to take into consideration. cheers!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users