60 replies to this topic

#21 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:27 PM

I've never had a problem finding diesel. Once in Gonzaga I had to wait an extra day for the delivery. I would have been ok if I filled up in San Felipe but I violated the cardinal rule "get it when you can". It was a holiday weekend when we went through SF and it took 2 hours to get through (3 miles) town. The lines at the Pemex station were crazy. But Mex 1 has a lot of semis and thus plenty of diesel. Its best not to wait 'til you need it.

Driving lights would help I guess but as for me I plan my trips for daylight driving. I'm certainly not the last word on this even though I've been doing it for many years. I think if you search other Baja forums you will get the same advice. There are way too many things that go bump in the night down there.

Let me add that Pam although is a hueta (spelling?) her first language is spanish. This as you might imagine is a huge advantage. We have tons of family and friend that live all over Mexico including several in Mexicali and they dont drive out in the hinterlands at night.....unless they've been drinking. 'Nuff said.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#22 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:44 AM

Well daytime driving isn't a problem. I'd rather do that anyways just so I see the country. Just how important is speaking spanish? I took a semester course at the local JC but I've forgotten most of what I've learned. I'm leaning towards another class just because I'm a californian, but traveling off the beaten path, would you say its a necessity?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#23 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

Spanish is not a necessity. Being kind and understanding that you're in a Mexico is but I know you dont need to be told that. Everybody on this board does that already. Many people that live there have at least a rudimentary knowledge of english. And as you know a couple of Margaritas and you will be speaking like a champ. I dont think a lack of spanish even off the beaten path should stop you from going. A dictionary and phrase book might be helpful. Others here I'm sure have an opinion about this. Before I was married I went to Baja a lot and never felt handicapped because I spoke very little spanish. Just Go!!!!

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#24 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:31 PM

I find that Spanish IS a necessity. Maybe not for Baja, maybe not for the first time or two and as Jay says, just go and practice, practice, practice. I have taken several JC courses on Spanish and a month long course in Mexico and still have a very rudimentary amount. I have always been able to get what I need while anywhere in Latin America. However I have not been able to have a real conversation there with anyone who does not speak at least some English. I continue to learn and make an attempt to rarely use English there.

Sure you can get by and maybe even learn some Spanish while there (I learn more by using it than by studying it) and that may be enough if you just go there to look at stuff and/or get wasted, but if you go there and want to meet some folks, learn about the cultures there, wander around in the backcountry, find a place to camp where there is no campground or place to just boondock, basically enjoy the country and the people, as much Spanish as you can possibly learn is a must.
Even though I think it is typical of the US tourist, I really think it is arrogant and inappropriate as can be to expect people in other parts of the world to speak English. I actually had a pharmacist in old Mexico tell me "yes, I speak English but you are here now, speak to me in Spanish!"...apparently he was tired of us coming in and demanding someone to speak English.

I have met many expats in Latin America who refuse to learn even the basics of Spanish....even though they have bought a house there and live there full or part time. Any place where there is an enclave of gringos...and believe me you rarely find one living in an area where there are no other gringos, you will find that.

Learn much and enjoy,
Brian

#25 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

we do thie same thing here....insisting they speak only english.....and worse, breeding an environment where we treat them as inferior human beings if they dont!

how many people complain about spanish in elementary schools, bi-lingual ballots, etc.

we breed that behavior here in our political system.

our current foreign policy reeks of it as well.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#26 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

If you can speak to "them" in thier language, evena little, doors will be open=infomation will be passed..

The only time I won't speek spanish, and deny that I do, is if stopped by the police in TJ.

#27 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

Its a mixed bag con la policia. When we are stopped and blondie starts speaking to them we always get an apology for the delay and we are on our way. Even at the never ending check points on Mex 1. Once when pulled over by Federales just out side of Caborca we were taken to the station and forced to wait in the truck in the sun for about 20 mins with out any explanation. El Capitan spoke no english so after a while Pam asked in spanish, "Sir would you kindly explain why we are being detained?" The answer was "so sorry madam you are free to go". In those instances spanish is a plus. Having said that it is incredibly rare in the 40+ years of traversing the penninsula that I have been stopped. Remember Craig you aren't the first person with limited spanish to head for Baja. You are in the majority. Just be smart and enjoy.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#28 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hey Les and everyone. I got a slide scanner and was fooling around with it today and found a picture of Gonzaga that I took 20 years ago. Thats my '85 Bronco II on the beach with some friends and their Jimmy. My how things have changed.

Attached Thumbnails

• New Scans_0002.jpg

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#29 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:49 PM

Way cool, looks like you guys were doin OK without a FWC...lets see some more!

#30 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:09 AM

I've got a light box coming so its easier to view these thousands of slides. Once I get them in a file I'll post some more. I cant wait to see the ones of San Ignacio lagoon.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users