• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

well we just got back from 14 day trip(hole in the wall grand stair case escalante) with our 2008 taco v/6 extended cab,as this is a replacement for our 2002 4cyl. reg cab. i thought i would make some remarks comparing the two. 1390 total miles,only freeway was from Primn Nev. to st George Utah on way out.rest of roads were secondary or dirt or 4x4.approx 200 miles low speed rough,75 pure 4x4.over all mileage 16.24 mpg.this was with loaded truck two people, cat,food for two weeks,water extra gas (10 gals)all camping no trailer.plus for new truck extra room in cab,main reason we bought it other than that not to impressed with performance.we have done the same (close)trip with 4cyl with trailer (dual sport motorcycle,kayak,misc.)mileage 18+ unless you have to be ahead of everyone on the road i would of been happy with the access cab 4cyl 5speed,you can tell the difference in size off the road,as the extra 5 inchs of width caused more brush scratches,no more complaining just a few pics .we dont take many pics as they do not give the smell, sound, or enjoyment of being there,but have to show proof we went!.drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0613 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0628 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0622 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0640 (Small).JPG

#2 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:35 PM

1st pic above was camp spot in mojave preserve,also crack in the wall side trip on hole in the wall road,camp spot at lake mead, and we were not invited for lunch,ran into meal on hike to crack in the wall! also a couple of shots of storage in access cab food,cooking and best of all engle 12v frige worked perfect,never will go back to ice chests!! no dog but we do enjoy or 18 year old cat camp spot high in mojave preservedrive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0609 (Small) (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0610 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0632 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0641 (Small).JPG

#3 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:52 PM

You old billy goat--

I really love your posts!

#4 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

Les, you guys rule. How chilly was it at night? What body of water was that?

Could you post a clearer pic of the roof rack? I'm trying to decide if I want to do a FWC style or one like yours out of steel. Nurse Ratchet is keeping a tight rein on me until the doc says I can resume normal activity. It's killing me but baby steps I guess. I get to drive my truck today. First time in 5 weeks. Oh joy!!!

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#5 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:48 PM

lq,

Truck and Camper are lookin' good. Great pics, thanks.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#6 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:49 PM

jay glad to hear you are almost back up and running,but don't forget to take it easy till you are really healed,life is to short as it is we need all the healthy days we can squeeze in there is a lot to do out there!i'm still waiting for your pics of your new rail bike i'm sure you are in the process!!.enclosed are some shots of roof rack.you can use existing screw holes on roof so you can remove when ever,i used 1"squire tubing for cross bars,2"strap for uprights,1" strap for mounting points,i used 3 cross bars because i sometimes carry kayak on top 2 rails would work.basket is a add on at times.3/4"tubing&1/2"tubing 4 bolts.you have to unload basket before you can lift roof,to much weight if you load as much as i do!.i've hauled gear all over baja no problems.from past experiance i do not like alum racks they have always cracked under hard loading and conditions.added bonus with pics you can see solar mount and our location for our solar shower.picture on trip post is lake mead we always spend time there if weather is right as it one of few places you can four wheel to legal camp spots and not share with yahoos! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0646 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0650 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0648 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0647 (Small).JPG

#7 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:27 AM

Nice pictures. What a great trip! Looks like all your mods worked out well.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#8 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:04 AM

You two are awesome....nice rig, nice pix and nice looking couple (and cat).
I really like your mods. Have you posted some inside camper pix yet? I can't remember.
Thanks folks,
Brian

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

Thanks Les,
As I told you when I saw you guys there is wire feed welder in my future. I just need to get all healed up. Cant wait.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:12 AM

LQ,
Man, I wish you were my nieghbor! Seriously though, what great looking work! Good to hear the trail test went well..

Jay, here are a few pix of my roof rack you were asking about...pretty simple really. Glad to hear your back is on the mend!

T.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1761.JPG
  • DSCN1762.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users