1st trip impressions with 08 tacoma

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

You two are awesome....nice rig, nice pix and nice looking couple (and cat).
I really like your mods. Have you posted some inside camper pix yet? I can't remember.
Thanks folks,
Brian

i have asked the same question :D ...always enjoy the posts lqhikers, interesting opinion about the 6 vs. 4 cyl. your rig is great, i would say the 2 of you really have things dialed in...thanks, as always, for posting. cheers!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#12 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

Gracias Tomas,
What are those base units and where did you get them?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#13 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

Very nice set-up all put together.

The storage you've created in the back seat must be a real pleasure after the regular cab Tacoma. Another 12V fridge lover. That seems to be the hot ticket for the desert dwellers and SW US folks. The lack of access doors on my own x-cab are the only beef I have with my truck.

I really like the functional and well thought out additions you've made to both your truck and camper.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#14 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:48 PM

Great pics. Thanks :)
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#15 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:05 AM

Those are neat places and cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.

You have done an incredible job on you modifications and was well thought out. I look at people’s set ups and I want, I want……..:rolleyes:

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#16 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

Les,
My thought is to use 8th aluminum angle and mount it where you have the 2" strap attached. What size self tappers did you used to secure the straps? The heaviest thing I'll put up there is a tandem kayak about 60 lbs.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#17 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

jay you could use existing screws and if they are not long enough go to next longer length. i used roofing screws that have a rubber washer seems to keep screws from loosing up and predrilled,also seem to work better than self tapping,(if you use right sizes drill) i ? using alum for rack as wide as the one i use as i feel the flex will end up cracking. but seeing how heavy your rig is already (dodge ha!ha!)i might consider alum also .don't have this problem with Toyota as i have always overloaded and have had no problems ( well maybe a couple) hope this helps (our double kayak weighs approx 100 pounds)

#18 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

jay thought i would expand my thoughts.the reason for edge mounting is the fact that mounting points on roof (notice Tomas Tierra's post)are very flexable,you can push on them to see what i mean after a lot of Baja type driving i feel the ribs could crack and you would not be able to see,plus i feel that other roof screws could work loose easier with all the stress causing roof leaks,i have always tried to copy what people more experianced than me have done and it seems to me that most build heavy,based on use.building light works for most use (factory mounts work for most use no problem with that) this is my favorite reason i like this forum all the differant ideas!!drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:33 AM

You guys aren't helping me make up my mind which way to go :) Though I'm kind of leaning towards the way Tomas did it. Probably not much more than a kayak will ever go up there. Doubt I'll ever get the chance to do really lengthy trip.
How's that been holding up Tomas?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#20 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:52 AM

Craig,
I've only had a couple of surfboards up there. Seems to work fine.I plan on putting a 2 person kayak up there at some point.(i'd rather have a surfboard up there!)

My buddy added a basket to his similar set up as mine..piccies(already been posted on another thread but what the hay)

TT

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1744.JPG
  • DSCN1746.JPG
  • DSCN1745.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users